Week G: The Joneses

I would definitely categorize the way the Jones family lives as personal selling. Everything in the Jones family’s house is put strategically in a way where you look at it and you want to have it. Not only the items in their house, but they themselves. Everything about Kate Jones feels and looks so expensive and tailored to her, so when someone (especially me) sees her, they would buy it. I felt that way when I saw Kate in a blue tracksuit and I caught myself wanting to buy one, even though I already have the exact same one. And I didn’t even know at that point that she was trying to sell the tracksuit.

I do not have a favorite brand. I don’t really pay attention to brands since I prefer not showing off brands or money (probably cause I grew up poor). I think Versace is very pretty though, and I think the marketing tactics for Versace and this movie are similar. Versace is a high-end brand, so they use their models and influencers to show off their beautiful, luxurious pieces to make regular people want it. That is exactly want the Jones’ did.

I definitely believe that the marketing in this movie is unethical. The Jones family was a rich, trendy, untouchable family and when they move to a neighborhood where everyone is miserable and everything is about appearances, it drives people to do terrible things. Larry, for example, just kept buying products trying to one up Steve. This lead to serious debt and ultimately his suicide. This type of marketing is driving people to insanity just for pride and satisfaction.

I would be very depressed. Being next to the Jones’ would make me feel poor. I would feel terrible about myself, my family and my financial situation because I know for a fact I could NOT afford any of those items they kept showing off. A Juicy Couture tracksuit is $100 for just the pants!! I can afford that, but that is unreasonable. If I found out their secret, I would probably get violent. All that emotional and financial degradation just for none of that to be real. They would catch all this smoke. But not Kate, though it’s not her fault that her whole vibe is luxurious.

One thought on “Week G: The Joneses

1. Charmain Smith

Feliana, you probably won’t be in the position to interact with them because they targeted the rich. It shows exactly how marketing is everywhere and why social media is so effective at making people feel less than when they think they can’t measure up.