Welcome to Unit 4: Global Vision. This week we will learn about why it matters for organizations to think beyond the confines of their local customer base and market their products and services more broadly. We’ll also examine the challenges that arise from global expansion, and how organizations and marketers need to be sensitive to cultural differences across country borders.
We’ll learn about some marketing mistakes that have been made when organizations have failed to understand norms in new countries they expand to, and share examples of marketing campaigns that as a result did more harm than good.
By the end of this unit, you should be able to:
- Describe globalization and the major benefits and challenges it poses for multinational organizations penetrating global markets
- Describe common approaches used by organizations to compete successfully on a global scale
- Explain the importance of understanding how demographic, cultural and institutional factors shape the global marketing environment
In order to successfully complete this unit, you’ll need to do the following:
1. Read this Open Educational Resource (free to access): Module 14: Marketing Globally1
Please note: you do not need to complete the activities listed in this resource.
2. Watch this video2 (also embedded below) about how cultural differences across country lines may affect an organization’s decision to expand globally.
1CC LICENSED CONTENT, ORIGINAL Why It Matters: Marketing Globally. Provided by: Lumen Learning. License: CC BY: Attribution
3Knovva Academy on YouTube: https://youtu.be/78haKZhEqcg