For our Week F Assignment, you will assume the role of a Public Relations professional, aiming to highlight a product launch, business update, or time of year for the business you decide to focus on.
Here’s what you need to do to complete this assignment:
1. Choose an organization that you care about (perhaps it’s somewhere that you’ve worked or volunteered, a non-profit organization you’ve made donations to, a school you’ve attended, or a business whose products you really like). Do some research on this organization to find something of interest that they might like to promote to the media. Perhaps it’s a new product or service they’re releasing, an event that’s coming up, or the need for more donations for a specific cause or building project.1
2. Read this article from HubSpot2 about how to write a press release, and then follow the format and formula for how to do so. Create a press release for the company of your choosing to announce to the media the update you’ve selected, above.
3. Follow this guide to create a new post, and add in your assignment so that classmates can view your submission.
4. Select “Promotion” as the Category. All submissions will populate under the Student Work menu item (Student Work > Promotion).
5. Make sure you cite your sources!
As always, if you need more information, you can ask me a question. For information on due dates, check our Course Schedule.
1Heather Plett: Writing for Public Relations (Adapted directly). https://heatherplett.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/PR1-assignment-2-press-release.pdf
2Fleishman, Hannah on HubSpot.com: How to Write a Press Release. https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/press-release-template-ht