The Joneses

Steve, Kate, Jenn, and Mick Jones look like a perfect family who moved to a suburban neighborhood. They appear to be the model of perfection. The neighbors all wish they could be like them. And by being this perfect, they sell their products. The family is just a collection of four strange individuals who are trying to sell things. I’d caterogize the family as personal seliing. It is clear from the start that they are trying to sell their products. They didn’t waste time.  One of their first tasks after moving into the new house was to get a picture taken. Once someone snapped the picture Mick began telling about the camera, not forgetting to mention the brand. Despite the fact that the family was not selling the products, they were expressing how great they were, and how much they recommended them. Instead of comparing the family to the brand, I would compare it to influencers, podcasters, and youtubers. They get paid by telling their listeners how much they like a certain product and how they couldn’t live without it. Influencers and youtubers often present their lives as perfect. People are not willing to show the bad parts of their lives on social media, which is understandable. People aren’t always aware that their lives aren’t as flawless as those people show them to be. There were definitely unethical marketing methods in this movie.  The family moved to a new town. The family tried to convince other families that their lives aren’t perfect. When I met this family, I’d probably believe them at first, but after getting to know them better, I’d become suspicious of how perfect their lives are.