Week 1

As someone who is always busy and on their feet, caffeine gets me through it. Starbucks is my go to. Starbucks is a widespread coffee chain that has made it their mission to ethically source and provide coffee and support it’s employees with good quality wages and healthcare. Starbucks pays more money than any other coffee purchaser to ensure that ethical supply chain management is occurring.

Starbucks includes beverages and baked goods for consumers. They also provide reusable cups to encourage consumers to be eco friendly. They are continuing to ethically source from farmers and suppliers. The foundation of the company itself relies on the high quality products that are provided for its consumers. It is an investment for the company supply chain. Both provide jobs for the workers and suppliers. Starbucks relies on the planet to provide its agricultural products. By using less energy and water they are conserving their usage of the planet. By being knowledgeable about the environment and their impact on the environment; creating innovative ways to protect the environment they are fulfilling their companies mission.

I feel satisfied buying my daily drinks at Starbucks knowing they are taking the responsibility to continue finding renewable ways to restore energy and to reduce its companies waste. They also continue to create pathways and opportunities for young people through organizations which help spread the word of their overall mission. This also helps with building a stronger community within their mission, as Starbucks prides themselves through community. They provide safe and healthy choices for the community as well . With their outreach program they provide loans for farmers to protect them from economic hardship. They also respect individuals of all orientations. 

They also make conscious efforts to ensure anyone who stumbles upon their company sees their core values. They continue to take social responsibility by stapling their values and mission onto coffee cups, posters in the stores, and even have an entire section on their website about its responsibilities. Starbucks also displays an annual report showing their progress to their goal.

If I were to provide a recommendation to Starbucks I would say provide more training for new baristas. A critical part of their job is remembering the menu products. Another recommendation is providing higher wages for those who are more experienced and have been there for a much longer time.

2 thoughts on “Week 1

1. Horatiu Pui

Hi Jeslian, your recommendations are interesting and current. Do you mean by “providing more training” to enroll them in a more intensive training or training them for a longer time period? Or what would you suggest that would be the best way to train them being beneficial for the company. Also, I agree on your second suggestion to raise wages for those who are more experienced. I think that every firm should take in consideration the fact that an experienced employee most of the time is more productive but gets the same wage as a startup employee. Since your suggestions attracted my attention, I would be interested if you would have any idea on how to improve, even more, experienced employees to make companies raise their wages.