In “Gorilla, My Love” by Toni Cade Bambara is about a girl named Hazel who is told stuff by older people and she believes what the older people say to her. Even though the adults don’t really mean what they say, it might be a lie so it won’t hurt them. How careful should parents and elders in families speak around young children or should parents or elders always tell the truth to the children even though how brutal it may be. As a mother of three boys, in my opinion I think it is better to always tell them the truth no matter how brutal it may be. In the story Hazel Uncle Hunca Bubba told her “I was the cutest thing that ever walked the earth” (p.19). The uncle also told her “ you were going to marry me when I grew up” (p.19)

Hazel got mad behind that because she believed him that he was going to marry her when she grew up. Hazel gave those words some weight and meaning.  She didn’t take the saying “ I was just teasin”(p.19) well. I would prefer the children to know what is really going on in the world because eventually the children are going to be out in the real world. I want the children to be prepared for the world. Hazel’s mom is right about “Hazel— which is my real name and what she remembers to call me when she bein serious–when you got somethin on your mind, speak up and let the chips fall where they may.” (p.18). I believe in that too, I want my kids to be able to speak their mind and not to hold it in.  My middle child takes every word and says it very literally. Kids in my opinion are sensitive nowadays. I Believe in telling them the truth so they won’t feel that they have been lied to and know that you have been honest to them.