Home » Readings » Weekly Module 5: What is Family Engagement? Readings Post

Weekly Module 5: What is Family Engagement? Readings Post

In this module you will:

• Compare family involvement in programs versus program staff engaging with families
  • Evaluate practices that support engaging with families
  • Identify the benefits of staff engaging with families for infants and toddlers

After reading Halgunseth (2009) answer the following questions:

1. Summarize the main idea, key details, and what you learned from this reading in 4-6 sentences in your own words.  Use key terms and vocabulary from the text.
  2. What quote(s) was most meaningful to you? (identify the page number) Why?
  3. How does this reading connect to your personal experience?
  4. How is family engagement similar to family involvement? How is it different?
  5. Which recommended practice to enhance family engagement do you think is most important? Why?
  6. How will this reading make you a better infant/ toddler professional?

Respond to 2 other posts!

Family-Engagement-Halgunseth-2009

1. Summary: Childhood education programs and home are vital environments for young children’s development. It is said that there is a relationship between strong program-family partnership and children’s academic success. While this is true, Educators become frustrated when they believe families don’t want to engage in a child’s education. Though families may have some involvement in a child’s education it is more meaningful when families are collaborating with their education programs and following the components of family engagement.

What quote(s) was most meaningful to you? (identify the page number) Why? ” Consistent, two-way communication is facilitated through multiple form and is responsible to the language spoken to the family” page 56. I find this meaningful because very often I am busy in my day to day life. I lack a lot of consistency with communicating with others. This is something that I am working towards at daily and realize that its a skill I must possess if I want to be an impactful teacher.

How does this reading connect to your personal experience? As a college student who is also a parent to a child in middle school its not easy to model family engagement when it comes to school. Ultimately as a family we try our best and pray for the best.

How is family engagement similar to family involvement? How is it different? Family engagement is when families are engaged with their children’s early childhood education programs and are collaborating with them in a meaningful ways that maximize their children’s education experiences. It also consist of the six components and emphasizes concepts that are continuous, reciprocal, and strength-based. Family involvement is when families are involved in their children learning and well being in some way.

Which recommended practice to enhance family engagement do you think is most important? Why? Providing a welcoming environment. I believe this is crucial. If you don’t make families feel welcome they ultimately wont want their families to be there. I believe that is also important to ensure that there a different signs in different languages making families from different cultures feel welcomed and show that diversity is welcomed.

How will this reading make you a better infant/ toddler professional? These tools will help me be a better infant teacher by building a strong relationship with different families. It has enlightened me on different ways to keep families engaged . I plan to offer incentives because who doesn’t like free stuff!

• Deb — Thanks for your thorough & thoughtful post! What is the difference between family involvement and family engagement? Which would be more desirable in an infant classroom? Why? How do we make families feel welcome in infant classrooms?

• Thank you Jen. Personally I believe Family involvement can be like a check in from time to time. Like a parent teacher conference. Family engagement is more consistent and constantly working with teachers to maximize child education. For example signing up for parent teacher association, attending events/shows at child’s school, checking in daily with teachers, and building a strong relationship with teachers. I believe family engagement would be more desirable because building a strong relationship with Families will allow teachers to thoroughly understand not only the child but about the child’s family. Its an opportunity to learn about the child’s different culture, values, and meet members of the child family. At the infant stage we can learn about the child by observations but ultimately will learn more about a child by engaging/speaking with families. For me I believe we can make families feel welcome by having an open door policy. Allowing families to stop by as they wish can help put families concerns and fears at ease.

• Hi Deb I totally agree with you when you say “these tools will help me.. building a strong relationship with different families.” (Deb, q6) I really do think these tools will help us grow relationships and communicate better with families.

• Deb, in #5- I like how you included the cultural factor and language spoken at home for the child. It is very important that we respect that and help the family and the child feel that this is a place to be which will help them learn and develop.

• Hi Deb, I like how you mentioned that being an students and being a parents is a little hard when it comes to stablish communication and bonds especially with the age of your son, but thanks to articles like this we can all learn how to create opportunities and strategies to create those bonds, so we are aware of the child’s processes and development.

2. Summary: This article mainly focuses on a family’s engagement in their child’s early education programs rather than just being involved. Involvement implies “doing to”,whereas engagement implies “doing with.” Although some families do have some involvement when it comes to their child’s education, it is more meaningful and helpful when families are able to collaborate with their education programs because it can help to ensure that their child has a stable environment and is in the correct environment that will ensure the child’s academic success.

Quotes: “… some may get frustrated by perceived low levels of engagement with some families…” (page 56). This quote is stood out to me because although you may be getting frustrated by a families engagement for their child’s education or lack there of, it is important to remember that all it takes is a simple conversation to help make them aware. Most families are doing the best they can, so it is important to understand that, but still try to have a conversation or hold a meeting for the families so that they can or are able to understand the importance of being engaged rather than just being involved.

Personal Experience: Growing up, my mother was never really engaged or involved in my education because of the fact that she had to raise 8 kids on her own but I did have my siblings and my mom did always come to my parent teacher meeting when ever she could.

Family Engagement vs. Family Involvement: As stated before, family engagement is being present and collaborating with a child’s education program so that they can maximize their child’s educational experiences.Family involvement stands more on the line of being their only when it matters and r=trusting that your child is in the correct environment and is being pushed to the best of their abilities to achieve academic success.

Recommenced Practice: Environment!! I believe that the environment a child is in can either make or break their ability to learn at their full ability. Making sure that the environment is not only safe but welcoming as well is really important. You want the family to to feel welcomed regardless of race, ethnicity, language, sexuality, or even politics. This will help the children feel safe and welcomed and show the family that diversity is welcomed.

Infant/Toddler Professional: These stools will help me be able to build a strong relationship with different families and hopefully get more families engaged in their children’s education programs.

3. 1. The article explains how the children’s homes and their early childhood education program’s are the two most influential environments for their development. It is important to them that the family’s engage in the children’s learning and it can also be frustrating to them to how some families do not engage into their children’s learning. It speaks on how family engagement comes from the work of Henderson and Berla, Epstein and Weiss, Caspe and Lopez. Families taking part in decision making, a two way communication that would be used in multiple forms, educational programs and families exchanging knowledge to one another. Creating a home environment that has the importance of learning and supporting programs.

2. The quote I found to be important would be “Ensure that signs in families home languages are posted and clear”. I felt that to be important because some families would definitely feel more comfortable when bringing their children to school or if certain families cant understand certain things, they would see the signs in their own language to help guide them.

3.As a parent to a young child that has recently started school, I always found it important to always keep in contact with my sons educators to see what I can do at home to help my son and to speak with the educators to discuss what we can do to help better my son in class. I would even give some advice to let them know what methods would work to help keep my son focused.

4. Family engagement and family involvement are the same because it they both have to do with the interactions with families, families and educators working together to improve the children’s education. The difference is that family engagements is an ongoing and collaborative relationship with the educator.

5.I really do like the program family partnerships because your both as a family and educator making decisions for the childs education but I would have to say having a welcoming environment because you want people who come in to feel good and comfortable. As a mother myself I would definitely want to be able to feel that I’m leaving my child in a comfortable and safe environment and not have to worry about his safety knowing he is in good hands.

6. By doing my best to create a strong relationship with the children’s families and communicate with them on what they think would help the child with their education.

• Tiana — Thanks for sharing your thoughts! What would it look like for families to share in decision making in an infant classroom? Having signs in home languages is important, I agree! What about families who cannot read? What would welcoming environment for families of infants look like?

• Tiana, I agree with you on point 6 where you mentioned that it is important to involve parents in the child’s education. I also firmly believe that helping children grow in different fields like socializing, and making an appearance in the society is important too. Both the educators and the family should work on this together so that the child first has his/her support from the family and then the motivation from the program staff/educators. Good work!

4. 1 What I understood from the reading is that we as early childhood educators must want and create a good relationship with the parents of the children. The children spend time between both proximal (home) and distal (early childhood programs) environments. We as the educators must keep the families safe, comfortable and happy. Educators must engage parents in the environment and to do that we have to, to get to know these families for the sake of their children. If we the educators do not get these parents interested and engaged to participate in the early childhood program, the relationship between educators and parents will fail and children will fall behind in their learning.

2 “If either families or teachers lose their sense of trust, however, their commitment to the relationship will being to diminish as will feelings of engagement” (pg2). This quote was super meaningful to me because it is a big part of forming a relationship. You cannot expect to build any type of relationship without trust. Babies expect us to be there every time they cry so when we respond we show them that they can trust in us, and we build that relationship that bond with them.

3 This reading connects to me because I recall when I was younger in head start my mother had a nice bond with my teachers and they were nice with each other and they treated me nice. I felt great in school because it felt like home to me. My teachers always made me feel accepted and engaged with my life.

4? Families are always involved in their child’s learning but engaged could be that they are not. The difference between being involved is that yes you the parent are there in the learning of the child but being engaged you’d be helping the child learn more and help them grow. Instead of just being there and being involved you are taking another step into being there and being aware of what is happening and helping to make decisions.

5 Strive for program-family partnership is the most important to me because the family will have a say in what the child could be learning. As well they will have better communication with the teachers. This will help the child’s learning grow at home.

6 Knowing that I need to create that bond with the parents of infants makes me a better infant/ toddler professional because I know what I can do to make learning easier for the toddler. I can now know how to go about things when it comes to making decisions and plans for the child. I know that the things will only go right when there is that trust in the relationship.

5. -Summary: The article is based on the engagement that is related within the child’s education program and the family. It speaks about the importance of the family being involved with the program rather than just being involved. It explains the reasoning and benefits that can be impacted in the child’s future life. It can effect things like decision making, creating a home environment for their child, and even communication skills.
    -What quote(s) was most meaningful to you? (identify the page number) Why? Consistent, two-way communication is facilitated through multiple form and is responsible to the language spoken to the family” (Halgunseth, page 56). I find this quote meaningful because people fail to realize that communication can be the key to many problems. Things can easily be solved if people had better communication skills.
    -How does this reading connect to your personal experience? This reading connects to my personal experience because when I was younger my parents were only connected to my education if it was related to my grades being bad, or my safety. Other than that the never really paid attention to my education.
    -How is family engagement similar to family involvement? How is it different? Theses two terms are related to each other because they both deal with the family in some sort of way. These two terms are different because engagement relates to the family actually collaborating with the child’s education because they want to. While involvement shows the family is only collaborating with the child’s education when they need to and not when they want to.
    -Which recommended practice to enhance family engagement do you think is most important? Why?
    I believe the environment will considered to be the most in important because you always want the child to be feel comfortable and at ease when they are in a learning state. Being in a comfortable environment can also cause kids to learn better when they feel safe and protected.
    -How will this reading make you a better infant/ toddler professional? This reading will make me a better infant/ toddler profession because I now understand the importance of being both engaged and involved in a child’s educational life, which is something that I will start to do.

• Isis — Thanks for engaging in this post! What is the difference between family engagement and involvement? Communication is key to engaging families! What would an environment that is comfortable for families to be engaged in look like?

• Hey Isis, I love how you really went in detailed about every explanation. I totally agree with you in the importance of the environment of a child, every child should feel safe in the place that surrounds them and we as future educators it is important that we do make sure to provide that place where children and families feel that they are safe staying in and leaving their children in.

6. 1) . From this video I learned the importance of families and educators building a relationship in order to make the child’s education much more successful. And also not only creating just a relationship but making sure it’s a healthy relationship.

2). When family and educators build a trustworthy relationship the children really benefit from it as well. When families and educators create a healthy bond it makes the child feel much safer in the teachers hands,also it benefits the child education tremendously and their learning outcomes. It makes the child feel as if they belong and as an educator it will also benefit us because it gives us a better picture of where the child comes from and brings us closer and we understand more about the child’s needs and preference through that relationship with the child’s parent and the communication we are able to make parents happy and give the best service that we can.

3). This video will help me to be a better infant/toddler professional because not only did it teach me the importance of building a relationship with the child but also their families and the benefits that it has on the child. As a future educator I want to be able to give my full potential in achieving everything that is best for the child. Having close relationships with the families will help me better on achieving my goal because I am able to work together with the families on helping fulfill the child’s needs and as a result makes everyone happy with my service.

4). This video truly does connect with the reading “Halgunseth (2009)” in many ways. One way this video connects to the reading is because both the video and the reading central objective is on the importance of being present in the child’s by creating a closer bond through parents involvement. The reading talks about parents involvement and the video talks about creating a relationship with the parents, however through parents involvement we are able to create relationships and bonds because when we have parents involved we are communicating with them on improving on fulfilling the child’s needs.

7. 1. Summarize the main idea, key details, and what you learned from this reading in 4-6 sentences in your own words. Use key terms and vocabulary from the text. – This article talks about the importance of family engagement in a children’s life, both at home and in the program. Family engagement not only helps build relationships between family and the people in the program but also helps in the development of the child. Social exchange theory is a concept highlighted in this article, it is a to and fro exchange where the program offers resources and the family is responsible in offering educators knowledge about their children and also practice at home, the things that has been taught in the program during the day, so that the child’s learning and development is continuous. The core of this social exchange theory is trust between the two- the members in the program and the family.

2. What quote(s) was most meaningful to you? (identify the page number) Why? – “If families or teachers loose their sense of trust, however, the commitment to the relationship will begin to diminish, as will feelings of engagement” (page 57). This quote was most meaningful to me as I had mentioned that the core of social exchange theory is trust and without it, no relationship or engagement lasts. This is true in any kind of relationship, not only with the program members and family. I could relate it more with myself as trust and commitment in a friendship as well works the same. The time someone feels that the trust is fading away from a relationship, then that is automatically an end of it, whether a program for kids or in any real life situations.

3. How does this reading connect to your personal experience? – This reading connects to my personal experiences as when I was a kid, my parents had not only been involved but had always been engaged in my school as well. They would come for parents teacher conferences, would have a regular talk with my teachers about my performance and much more. I felt the kind of trust and the social exchange between both my parents and my teachers.

4. How is family engagement similar to family involvement? How is it different? – Family engagement and involvement is similar as in a situation, the parents are aware that their child is in a safe environment and the program staff is there to help them learn and develop. Both are different, as family involvement is being there but not fully. In this situation, the family is looking after the child and making sure that he/she is doing what they are supposed to but not actually finding out time to go visit the program themselves or even help their child in learning and developing. Family engagement means that the family is collaborating with the program to help child learn and practice things that have been taught to them in the program itself.

5. Which recommended practice to enhance family engagement do you think is most important? Why? – I feel that providing a welcoming environment is the best practice as in this, the family will feel welcomed and important to be a part of that program. Having a one-on-one session with the family of the child will help build a relationship between the two and also respecting their home language and exchanging numbers and emails to keep them posted is the best way of engaging the family in a child’s life.

6. How will this reading make you a better infant/ toddler professional? – As this reading made me aware of things that teachers do to not only involve the family, but also engage them in their child’s life and development. Making sure that both the parents and the child is understanding what I, as a teacher am trying to achieve them to do. This will not only build a good relationship between me and the family but also we as a team will ensure that the child is on his/her journey of developing.

8. 1. The main idea of the article Halgunseth (2009), the main idea of the article was that it focuses on family engagement and not involvement of the child’s education. Families and schools work hand in hand to enhance the child’s education. This also includes that families and program have good relationships as well, as this affects how the children develop at school but also at home. By having a strong relationships, the program and families are able to communicate, help families find resources they need and such.
    2. A quote that was meaningful to me are found in page 1 where it states, “using ecological and social exchange theories are framework…define family engagement…provide evidence-based practices that can strengthen family engagement and improve learning for all”, this i feel is important because families should know that just like school education is important, home learning is just as important and affects whether the child can learn and strive.
    3.This reading connect to my personal experience because i remember in the head start i attended the teachers were always talking to my father about what i would do in school and always invite my father and other parents to come into the schools and interact and see what the kids are learning. In return many parents would say their concerns and my father was a person who would always question a lot of the things my teachers would do and my teachers would answer his concerns and show him how this would benefit us education wise. Because of this my father would always talk to my teacher about things that he would worry that i might be delaying in and the teacher would give suggestions on how he can help me out at home.
    4.Family engagement is similar to involvement in that both have some type of involvement in the child’s education and the difference is that engagement is where parents and program work together to improve the child’s education, while involvement is where parents participate and can become aware of the situation their child education is in.
    5.The recommended practice to enhance family engagement i think is most important is integrating culture and community into the program. This is because every program has different types of ethnicity and many cultures coming into the program and we must welcome all types and not discriminate because of their background.
    6. This reading helped me see that including the family into their child’s education is very important and accepting their cultures as well, this means finding ways that i can incorporate their culture into education and make the family feel at home and creating strong bonds with the families.

9. 1.The main idea of this article is family engagement for children during the childhood education. What I took away from this article was that, it’s important for families to be engaged and support children but how educators should take part in family engagement by encouraging families to participate and advocate in decision making related to their child’s education. Furthermore, this article explains how engagement can be exercised in a classroom setting. For instance, some ways the article discusses how educators can support engagement for children and families is by having an integrated culture and community by promoting acceptance to all families by inviting role models of different cultures to participate in the classroom. Another way would be to, provide families with resources such as, transportation, childcare and refreshments and lastly to include families with decision making for both their child’s education and the program.
    2.The quote I can relate to was, “promote acceptance of all families by inviting role models of different cultures to participate in classrooms” (57).
    3. I can connect to this text in the article because I’ve been in predicament in my daughters’ old school, where I felt only a specific race was being asked to participate with the school’s activities like, their school trips. I would always volunteer to chaperone the students but was never selected and when I would ask why they would always say they already picked their families so; I can definitely agree to this quote.
    4.Family involvement and engagement can be very similar because they both require the support from adults, but they are also different. Involvement to me is being there physical to do for a child, like going to get a book and having the child read the book, while you listen, you’re involved in this act but not engage, whereas if you were to read with the child and stop to engage in conversation, maybe to ask questions like “what do you think will happen next?” engagement is more of doing these actions with the child to support their needs.
    5.I think all family models are important but if I had to pick one to be at the top of my most important it will probably be “Promoting and acceptance to all families” because I can personally relate to this model, as I’ve been in situations in schools where either myself or child wasn’t accepted because of our background.
    6.As an educator I can now take this importation and apply it to my classroom families. This reading was very informative for me, because I wasn’t aware there was a difference between involvement and engagement. Now that I understand the difference between the two, I will become more engage not only as an educator but as a parent too.

10. 1. This article talks about how important family engagement is In a Childs life. This article also talks about important benefits that would be beneficial for the child in the long run.
    2.The quote that meant the most to me was the quote that said “The two most influential environments in which young children develop are their homes and their early childhood education programs”. This quote meant the most to me because working in a child care center shows me everyday that the child learns everything from their caregivers everything that is positive and also caregiver and parents always have a great influence on their child.
    3. This reading connects back to my personal experience because when I was a child my parents always attended parent teacher conference and every other meetings that my teacher had. My parents always maintained a good relationship with my teachers.
    4.How is family engagement similar to family involvement? How is it different? Family engagement is similar to family involvement because they both engages in child developments and also engage with families. They are different because family involvement is when the family wants to be involved.
    5. I believe that Environment is important. I believe that environment is important because when the child is in a good space and a good environment they tend to be more happier.
    6. This reading will make me a good infant/toddler teacher because it gave me knowledge on family engagement and also family involvement, I find that so important.

11. 1. This article mostly talks about how family engagement is important by having strong relationships with the parents and being able to communicate with each other. Making the parents feel more welcoming is a big part with them being more engaged. Family engagement helps the child education better than family involvement. It improves learning for all children.
    2. A quote that was meaningful to me was “Ensure that signs in families’ home language are posted and clear”.(page 58) This is very important to parents because being someone who spoke spanish at home and english at school, my mom didn’t know english when I was at school so when she would go to my elementary school, she would be really confused because everything was in english and she didn’t understand anything. This is a big part towards family engagement because certain families can’t say anything if they do not understand what’s going on. Seeing signs in their home languages would be very helpful.
    3. This reading connects to my personal life because when I was growing up, my parents never attended any school events except one and they didn’t like it because it was just teachers talking about how students need more help and how they (the parents) should do more. One of my teachers which was my pre k teacher would get in contact with my parents and would make them feel welcome. My parents only engaged with that one teacher because she was different and communicated with them in a way they understood. They trusted my peek teacher and always kept in contact about whats going on.
    4. Family engagement and family involvement both deal with interacting with parents and teachers. They are both different because family involvement is when they are just involved in the child’s education when they have to be. Family engagements when the family is engaged in the programs by participating and keeping in contact with teachers.
    5. I believe Providing a welcoming environment to enhance family engagement is most important because if families don’t feel welcome at some place, they won’t even communicate with others. This will also help with the family trusting others and building a relationship. It makes the children feel safe because the parents do.
    6. This reading will make me a better infant/toddler professional making me understand that it’s not just important for the family to be involved, they should be engaged and I should make them feel welcome. It’s important to build a relationship with parents, not only for us but also for the children.

12. Summary: As said throughout class relationships are very crucial to early childhood programs and as said in readings having great communication with families allows the program to flow to ensure that the child is getting their best education. It’s more meaningful when families are engaged not just involved because that ensures understanding and importance of their child and too the teachers as well.

“Families create a home environment that values learning and supporters programs. Programs and families collaborate in establishing children’s goals(57). This was most meaningful to me because having the parents involved with their children’s future is crucial. It helps us do our jobs better as teachers because everything is clear to the families.

This connects to my personal experience working in a daycare with 2 years olds. Whenever a family member brought their child to school I would greet them and ask how they were doing and if they needed to tell me something about their child I would listen such as “give my baby this for snack and then this for lunch” she is involved and has a concern about what her child takes .

Family involvement and family engagement are similar in a way that the families are listening . Family engagement being that the familie are collaborating and family involvement in which families are involved and up to know what’s next or their child their learning and well being.

I think the most important to enhance engagement is providing a welcoming environment because as a teacher you show your respect and to have individual meetings instead of big meetings show how important each child’s growth is and your showing each parent that by scheduling individual meetings to ensure that they are just as important as every other kid.

This reading will help me become a better teacher because i know different ways to enhance better communication and engagement to the parents to ensure that they are happy with their child’s school and teachers.

13. 1). Summary: The article talks about the importance of families actually being engaged in their child’s education and the benefits that it can have on the child’s life. Meaning even though some families are involved in their child’s life they are not fully engaged and willing to fully work with the child’s school in order to achieve what’s best for the child’s development.

2). The quote that stood out to me the most is “ When there is a strong program-family partnership in place, families are engaged, which ultimately benefits the children” (Page 57) This quotes means that when the family is engaged in helping their child’s program and creating that bond it will make it much more easier in fulfilling the children’s needs because there is mutual understanding of what the child’s needs are and with the communication between the families and the teachers it would make it much easier to provide for the children. When the children

3). This reading connects to my personal experience because as I grew up my mother was always involved in my education and had a very good bond with my teachers this led to my educational needs being fulfilled and I felt very safe with my surroundings. As a child when my mother would drop me off at school I would feel comfortable because I knew my mother knows my teachers and so I felt safe being there in the classroom.

4). Family engagement is similar to family involvement because both focus on programs and families working together to better fulfill the children’s educational needs. However they are different in a way because involvement is more of just being there and engagement is being there and also aware and helping out on what’s happening around.

5). I believe providing a safe and comfortable environment is the most important one for me because when children’s safety needs are met it becomes an encouraging environment that promotes a creative learning environment and experience.

6). This reading helps me to become a better infant/ toddler professional because it gives me tips on how to get families engaged in their child’s education and the importance and benefits it has on the child.

14. This article is based on the engagement that is related within the child’s education program and the family. Family engagement not only helps build relationships between family and the people in the program but also helps in the development of the child. This includes that families and program have good relationships as well, as this affects how the children develop at school but also at home. By having a strong relationships, the program and families are able to communicate, as well as help families find resources they may need.

I had a hard time deciding between two quotes that meant a lot to me in and through the reading. “If either families or teachers lose their sense of trust, however, their commitment to the relationship will being to diminish as will feelings of engagement” (pg2) ” Consistent, two-way communication is facilitated through multiple form and is responsible to the language spoken to the family” (page 56)

My mother was very engaged/involved in my education. She was one of the members of PTA in my elementary school, and consistently helped with my studies throughout middle school. The only thing that saddens me is not having my father involved as much as my mother was. If there was something I needed help with and my mother couldn’t help, I often would have to settle for going to my teacher and getting help because my father couldn’t. So it would definitely feel a little unbalanced at times.

Family engagement and involvement is similar as in a situation, the parents are aware that their child is in a safe environment and the program staff is there to help them learn and develop. However the difference is that program coerced with parents actually further improve the child’s education. By merging the two,it helps the child learn more and help them grow.

Providing a welcoming environment as well as respecting home language are both the best practices because the result most likely will be that the family will feel welcomed and important to be a part of that program. (My music teacher does this with her younger student’s families)

The reading helped me be aware that fitting the family into their child’s or children’s education is important and that creating a friendly and welcoming environment so they feel respected is crucial to creating strong relationships with them.

15. I realize I forgot to add why these quotes are meaningful. My apologies. The first quote is meaningful because the main foundation for any relationship is trust. If you don’t respond to a baby crying which is a signal for them needing something, you don’t any amount of trust there. So as caregivers we have to be there every time they cry so when we respond we show them that they can trust us, thus forming a bond with them. And the second quote is meaningful is because I feel that some people struggle with proper communicating and maybe some of the skills that come with it and so that can be a down-falling point when it comes to situations. If that can be worked on, you can turn a situation that may be negative, positive.

16. 1.The Articles talks about the important family engagement rather than family involvement. It talks about the benefits of having families engagement since most of the time a child spends is in a childcare center.
    2.The quote that was most meaning full to mean was “Early childhood education programs encourage family participation in decision making related to their children’s education. Families act as advocates and take part in decision-making opportunities” This quotes was meaningful to me because it builds that connecting bridge to learning at home and at a childcare center.
    3.This reading connects to my personal experience because my first childcare teacher and I are still in contact
    4.They are both similar in the case that some type of involvement with the families and childcare provider. They are both different because engagement is more in depth than involvement.
    5. Creating welcoming environment is most important to engagement because it creates the comfortable state for open conversation.
    6.This reading will help me become a better infant/toddler teacher because it is a reference I can always look back too.

17. 1. The main idea reflected in the article is that relationships are quite important in early childhood programs.The author states that communication with families help teachers to make sure the child is developing the best way possible. When families are compromised with their child’s processes, they are able to have a better understanding of the child, and also, the way things run with his program.
    2.“using ecological and social exchange theories are framework…define family engagement…provide evidence-based practices that can strengthen family engagement and improve learning for all”(P.1)
    3.This reading connects to me in a way that I can see and also appreciate that, when I was in school, my parents both always took the time to attend meetings, project fairs and everything related with me at school because they always knew it was the best way to understand my development process, and be up to date with whatever was going on at school.
    4.The interaction between parents and teacher is crucial. They are both different because family involvement is when they just care about the child’s education when they NEED o be, and family engagement, on the other hand, means that the family is engaged in the programs participating and being in touch with teachers.
    5.When there’s a welcoming environment.Teachers should show respect, and have private meetings. The fact that they take the time to make it private, and individual, gives the impression that they care more about the child since they are only focusing on him. but if the meeting is general, I believe it gives the impression that your kid is not being prioritized.
    6.This reading will make me a better infant/toddler professional making me more aware of the importance of having communication and a bond between parents and teachers. when these two are involved, they should be engaged and I it’s my responsibility to make them feel welcome. The children are the more beneficial.

18. The article talks about how important family involvment is, It talks about the benefits of having families involved since most of the time the child spends is with the teachers and in school.

This reading connects to my personal experience because my mom was at every parent teacher confrence meeting the teachers and getting to know them.

They are both similar because having parents involved makes the childs schooling more smooth. They are both different because a parent can be involved but not say anything or be engaged in anything the child is doing.

Creating a calm warming environment is most important because it creates less tension a parent may have walking in a classroom.This reading will help me become a better infant/toddler teacher because it is a reference I can always read again and again also take notes.