Home » What is Culture?
Category Archives: What is Culture?
After watching the video on Individualist and Collectivist Cultures, answer the following questions:
- Do you think you were raised in a family/ culture that was individualist or collectivist? How do you know? Give specific examples.
- Do you think your Infant/ Family Case Study is a collectivist or individualist family? How do you know? Give specific examples.
- How can group programs support families and infants who are from collectivist cultures? What can staff do? List specific practices and ways staff can support families.
Respond to 2 other posts!
Read the Cultural Differences Scenarios. Pick 3 scenarios, then answer the following questions:
- Identify which 3 scenarios you chose. Why did you pick them?
- What impact does the difference in cultural practices have on the child? Why?
- Is there another way to handle the situation?
- How does this connect to the Gonzalez-Mena (2008) reading? Make specific connections, identifying the page number.
- Did you test your ability to access the movie Babies from BMCC video database (Steps to Access the movie Babies)? How did it work?
Respond to 2 other posts!Cultural-Differences-Scenarios
In this module you will:
- Identify practices that support cultural exchange & learning
- Evaluate how cultural pluralism impacts your work with infants & toddlers
- Analyze how to handle different scenarios
After reading Gonzalez-Mena (2008), answer the following questions:
- Summarize the main idea, key details, and what you learned from the reading in 4-6 sentences in your own words. Use key terms and vocabulary from the text.
- What quote(s) was most meaningful to you? (identify the page number) Why?
- How does this reading relate to your personal experience?
- How does cultural pluralism impact your work with families?
- What program practices support cultural exchange & learning between staff & families?
- How will this reading help you be a better infant-toddler professional?
Respond to 2 other posts!Gonzalez-Mena-2008-Chap-1