1. Do you notice any similarities in the way the social class is discussed in readings 4.1 and 4.2? Do you notice any differences in the way these two readings DIFFERENTIATE between social classes?

The similarities are clear, both readings used income to determine the social class structure. Reading 4.1 dives deeper than income difference. Also discussed other factors that may affect perceived social class. Factors like education, race, environments, and political partisanship.

2. Pick the station closest to where you live. Using the concepts from Reading 4.1, what social class tends to live in your neighborhood? Are you surprised (or not) by the answer? Do you feel it is an accurate representation of the people living in your neighborhood?

I used to live in 101st in Queens, where the median income is $42,169. I think it is more along the line of the working class. I don’t think it is too surprising, but it does make me wonder how do people living there afford those houses next to the train station. I think it might be less accurate because as far as I know many people there are working off the book job and they are not represented in the chart.

3. Based on Reading 4.2, do you notice a general pattern about social classes in NYC?

I noticed Manhattan is where most of the wealth gathered. However, even in Manhattan, the chart can be really bumpy. Ranging from $200,000 a year to $75,000 the next station. Meaning that even social class is somewhat distrubted by boroughs. By that I mean Manhattan contains mostly middle to upper class while Queens contains lower and working class. The social class difference is visible on the neighborhood scale.