- This module contains our first exam. Please note that you have the entire week to write this exam.
- Due date: Thursday, midnight, 6/24/21
- How to submit your exam: write (or save) your exam as a Microsoft Word document (.DOC file). Upload your exam on the bottom of this page, just like you would upload Reading Response Papers (or quiz).
- GRADING: Your exam will be graded as follows: each question is worth 12.5 points, 8 x 12.5 = 100 points in total.
- RETURNING YOUR EXAM: Your graded exam will be returned to you via email. You must include your email on your exam paper. Otherwise, I will use the email address you have on record in Blackboard. YOU MUST INCLUDE YOUR NAME and EMAIL ADDRESS ON YOUR QUIZ, AS WELL.
- Note: this is an open book and open notes/videos exam (just like our quiz was). This means, when answering the questions, you can use all of the materials available on our class website. However, you must not use any outside information. Any outside information will be not given credit. Also, everything in your answers must be in your own words. No quotes from any of the readings or videos (you must paraphrase, put everything in your own words).
- Note 2: Your answers to the questions on this exam, are supposed to be short and directly to the point. This means the typical answer should be in the range of 5-7 sentences minimum. However, there’s no need to write full essays for each question on this exam.
WATCH – Exam Overview Video
In this short video, I cover some approaches to writing this exam.
WRITE – EXAM Questions
- What was the Southern Strategy, discussed by Michelle Alexander.
2. In your own words, describe what Althusser meant by ideology. Give one example of such ideology.
3. What is the difference between labor and labor power? Give an example of each.
4. What is the difference between C-M-C and M-C-M’? In other words, explain what each mean and how they are different from each other.
5. According to Federalist #10, what is the source of wealth among people?
6. Discuss two characteristics of Federalism, as presented in our reading in Module 7. Give an example for each.
7. Does the First Amendment protect the burning of the US flag ? Explain by referring to the relevant court case discussed in the reading.
8. Since the Patriot Act was first passed, the argument has been made, that it violates certain parts of the Bill of Rights. Choose two parts of the Patriot Act that we read about in Module 9, and:
- explain what each of the two mean (what does each of these parts do)
- show which Amendment(s) they could be violating and why
SUBMIT – Your Completed Exam
Your exam must be submitted as a MS Word document (that way, I’ll be able to comment on it, as part of my grading.
You must log into your BMCC OpenLab account before you can upload a response paper.