Chopin and Race

Does the writer’s race matter when the narrative deals with issues of race?

I do not think the race of the writer matters when the narrative deals with issues of race, because I believe that anyone can be a target of racism. Nowadays no one is exempt from racism or racial crimes. Racism against people of color is a thing of the past. An example of racism in the past can be found in Desiree’s baby short story. Desiree’s baby was born with dark skin, when Desiree’s husband Armand noticed that the baby had different color skin, he said to her “that child is not white; it means that you are not white” (Chopin 3). This racism thing caused Desiree’s marriage to fall apart. Desiree’s husband assumed that Desiree was not white, but it turned out that he was not white. He found a part of an old letter that Armand’s mother work to his father saying, “I thank the good God for having so arranged our lives that our dear Armand will never know that his mother, who adores him, belongs to the race that is cursed with the brand of slavery” (Chopin 5). In the 21 century I would like to say that there is not slavery and that interracial marriages a more common.

Chopin, Kate. “Desiree’s Baby.” Gothic Digital Series, 1893.

2 thoughts on “Chopin and Race

1. Hey Jesus, Yes totally nobody is exempt from racism. To me it so shocking that Armand hold the importance of being white more than having mixed race baby being that he is also mixed. We tend to lose mercy and are selfish that forget to love and treat others how we want to be treated.