Case Study

The most demotivating part of Harper’s job is too much work she is doing after Joe left (Professor Buckler, n.d.). Although they had a good connection with Joe, Harper loves her work, but the addition of responsibilities is overwhelming her. Since the company has not yet replaced Joe after he left, Harper is doing most of the roles he was taking; hence she is doing much overwhelming work, even having difficulty balancing work and life. Therefore, the most demotivating part of Harper’s job is the lack of company not replacing Joe and not recognizing the amount of work she is doing after Joe left.

If I were an HR manager, I would advise David to create time and listen to Harper’s grievances. I will tell him the importance of Harper in the company; hence it is significant to re-engage her to ensure she does leave the company. I will advise David to use the fourth retention strategy where he should create a culture of open communication. Open communication will help Harper air her grievances regarding the need to replace Joe as soon as possible because most of the roles he left are overburdening her (Scalco, 2017). I will also advise David to look for ways to distribute tasks among the team to ensure no overburdening of one employee.

Losing Harper as an employee will be costly because she has been instrumental in carrying out several tasks for the company. The downside of losing Harper is that her role will be vacant together with Joe’s role; hence, most tasks will stop. The company will be forced to be quick to respond to hiring, which might end up employing the wrong people due to hurry. Therefore, the company should try to retain Harper and replace Joe to ease Harper’s burden.

Scalco, D. (2017, June 19). 8 effective employee retention strategies. Zippia For Employers. https://www.zippia.com/employer/8-effective-employee-retention-strategies/

One thought on “Case Study