Okay, let ‘s go to the questions, consider the following:
- What is a Repressive State Apparatus? Why does Althusser call it “repressive”? Can we explain his choice of words here. Give an example.
2. Let’s do the same for the Ideological State Apparatuses. What are they, how do they seem to work?
3. Important: this question will appear on our exam: How are the Repressive and Ideological State Apparatuses different from each other? What is the difference between the two?
4. Post an example of ideology. This could be a piece of writing, an image, video, pdf document, visual art, or music, clip from a movie. Next to your example, specify if this is an example of repressive or ideological apparatuses at work. I’ll start us of off by giving an example.
NOTE: Once you’ve scheduled your post to be published on at midnight on Sunday, you can still go back and edit your post until then, if you want to rewrite and/or add to your post.
As a review, follow the following steps to submit your response:
- Click on the “+” button in the black bar at the top of the screen
- Type a title for the post (it should include your full name)
- Type your response
- On the right side, click on Categories: and check “Discussion 3.2”
- Important: On the right side, at the top: click on the date next to Publish, and enter your post date, which is this coming Thursday, at 11:59pm.
- Click Publish and you’re done.
What will happen next is your post will automatically be published by the OpenLab system on Thursday at midnight. The goal here is for all student posts to be published at the same deadline. After that point, you can begin reading each others’ posts, and you have to comment on at least one other student’s post.
Note: please make sure that you schedule your post to be published on Thursday, midnight, not before.