Home » Readings » Weekly Module 13: Rituals & Routines with Families Readings Post

Weekly Module 13: Rituals & Routines with Families Readings Post

In this module you will:

• Identify rituals and practices to help infants and families transition into a program
  • Analyze the importance of phase-in and separation for infants, toddlers, and families
  • Critique principles centers use during phase-in

After reading Goldsmith & Theilhiemer (2015) AND Block (2014) or Gillispie & Peterson (2014) answer the following questions:

1. What was the second reading you chose? 
  2. Summarize the main idea, key details, and what you learned from the readings in 4-6 sentences in your own words. Use key terms and vocabulary from the text.
  3. What quote(s) was most meaningful to you? (identify the page number) Why?
  4. How do these readings connect to your personal experience?
  5. How do infants, families, and staff benefit from phase-in? 
  6. Which guiding principle infant centers consider when infants enter their program do you think is most important? Why?
  7. How will these reading make you a better infant-toddler professional?
  8. How does the Goldsmith & Theilheimer (2015) article connect to the other reading you did (Block, 2014 or Gillespie & Peterson, 2012)?  Identify specific connections.

Respond to 2 other posts

Goldsmith & Theilheimer (2015)

Block (2014)

Gillispie & Peterson (2012)

1. 1). What was the second reading you chose? For the second reading I choose to read Gillispie & Peterson (2012) because it stood out to me more and supporting infants and toddlers and their families is the most important thing in the field of education.
    2). Summarize the main idea, key details, and what you learned from the readings in 4-6 sentences in your own words. Use key terms and vocabulary from the text. Goldsmith & Theilheimer (2015) main idea is the experience of when it’s the first time an infant attends a daycare and the experiences they have as well as the experiences and the challenges families face when leaving their children instead of having them next to them 24/7. It is not easy to be with your child all the time and then comes a certain age where you would have to send the child in a program, however it is very important for young children to have interactions with other children it will have many benefits in the long run. Gillispie & Peterson (2014) main idea is how to support children and their families. It is very important to support children but also very important to support families. This not only makes families feel welcome and cared about but also they will trust leaving their children in that program because they will know that we care to make them feel comfortable and as happy as possible when coming in.
    3).What quote(s) was most meaningful to you? (identify the page number) Why? From the article Goldsmith & Theilheimer (2015) the quote that was most meaningful to me is “Infants form attachments, or bonds, with the important people in their lives when they learn to trust a predictable environment that meets their needs (page 82)”. This quote stood out to me because infants need to build that trust with a certain someone in order for them to feel comfortable in an environment surrounded with those people. When a child feels comfortable and has a bond with you you should know that you have meet their needs, children love when people for example respond fast when they cry, when they are hungry, when they are hurt or want something these are are needs that children have and when you have responded to all of those needs they fall in love with you and that’s when the bond is created. From the article Gillispie & Peterson (2012) the quote that was most meaningful to me is “Routines are repeated, predictable events that provide a foundation for the daily tasks in a child’s life(page 76)”. This quote stood out to me because routines are very important in a child’s life. A routine helps a child understand the balance of things in life such as play time and functional tasks such as brushing your teeth and things that need to be done in everyday life. Children need to have routines and in order to get used to time management and most importantly establish good habits.
    4). How do these readings connect to your personal experience? The readings connect to my personal experience because I was one a child and so I believe these articles to connect to everyone because we all had to do it on the first day at school or also because all of you in this class are parents and have the experience of leaving their child on their first day at school. I personally don’t have children, however I was once a child and experienced these things for example when my parents first sent me to school.
    5). How do infants, families, and staff benefit from phase-in? I believe everyone benefits from phase families, infants and the staff. Families benefit because they get to know who will be taking care of their child, infants benefit because the face of the caregiver will become similar and so when it is their first day it won’t be something completely new to them, staff will get to know the child better and their background and their house routines. In the end everyone builds a bond and it has a positive benefit for everyone and it concludes to fulfilling the child’s needs which is the most important thing.
    6). Which guiding principle infant centers consider when infants enter their program do you think is most important? Why? I believe all of the ones listed are important however if I had to pick one I would pick building strong relationships to be the most important one because without relationships nothing is a progress, the child needs to have that place where they feel comfortable loved and happy if not nothing will work.
    7). How will these readings make you a better infant-toddler professional? These readings make me a better infant- toddler professional because they have taught me the importance of building relationships and the steps that parents and children face when they first start a program and how to support them.
    8). How does the Goldsmith & Theilheimer (2015) article connect to the other reading you did (Block, 2014 or Gillespie & Peterson, 2012)? Identify specific connections.
    I believe the article Goldsmith & Theilheimer (2015) and the article Gillespie & Peterson, (2012) have a perfect connection because one talks about when families and infants start a program and the other once talks about supporting infants and their families. And so they connect perfectly and they support each other’s wives.

2. What was the second reading you chose? Gillispie & Peterson (2012)

Summarize the main idea, key details, and what you learned from the readings in 4-6 sentences in your own words. Use key terms and vocabulary from the text. Both readings discuss the many concerns that family have putting their children in a daycare for the first time. Phase in practices help families get familiar with routines of the daycare. Teachers should ensure that families needs are being met and they make them feel comfortable. First time families need a lot of support, as this is a beneficial but big decision for them.

What quote(s) was most meaningful to you? (identify the page number) Why? ” The teacher who will be the child’s primary caregiver calls the family to set up either a home visit or intake interview at the center” page 81. I think this is important because it gives the family the option to allow teachers in their home to get a better understanding of how they are in the comfort of their own home. It also give them the option to visit the daycare to see if the daycare fits their needs beforehand. I like that the family has options.

How do these readings connect to your personal experience? These readings connect to my personal life because it reminds me of the time I had to make the decision to put both my children in daycare for the first time. I had many reservations but ultimately because of school I had to make the decision to register them for daycare. Though I have a great support team I wanted my children to also get the experience of being around other children like the families in the article. Ultimately it ended up being a good decision and my children had a good fair share of great teachers thankfully.

How do infants, families, and staff benefit from phase-in? Families benefit from phase-in because it gradually allows families, children, and teachers to come together to introduce them to the daycare. It allows time for everyone involved to get in the habit of routine.

Which guiding principle infant centers consider when infants enter their program do you think is most important? Why? Making parents feel comfortable. If parents don’t feel comfortable they will worry all day and second guess if a teacher is capable of caring for their child.

How will these reading make you a better infant-toddler professional? Both reading will help me become a better teacher by helping me use the phase in practice. I plan to call and schedule home visits beforehand, or give families the option to visit the classroom.

How does the Goldsmith & Theilheimer (2015) article connect to the other reading you did (Block, 2014 or Gillespie & Peterson, 2012)? Identify specific connections. They both discuss getting in the habit of routines. They also discuss ways to support families.

• Hey Deborah, I enjoyed reading your responses it shows that you understood the article and also it benefited you from the information that you were able to collect. I believe we both are on the same page with these responses we believe that making families feel comfortable and welcomes. Also it is awesome that you can connect it with your personal life since you have children and you most likely went through all of these scenarios. Good Job :).

3. 1. What was the second reading you chose?
    The second reading I chose was Gillespie and Petersen (2014)

Goldsmith & Theilhiemer (2015) talked about when there is a new transition in the infant’s life. The program itself was made to help families that are bringing their infants into the program and it is the time to learn about the infant, the family, help the family help their child ease in the program. One of the ways they do this is by beginning with phase-in when whenever the family feels ready to join the program, any time of the year. Usually, this is when the teachers get to know the family, visiting the family, and creating that close bond with the family. Another way this is done is by Inserimento indivduale. In this one, the program finds the method that works with the family they are with and adjusts the needs of each family’s specific needs.
    Gillespie and Petersen (2012) talked about supporting families rituals and routines. It cleared the difference between routine and rituals. Routines are repeated and predictable; Rituals are special actions that emotionally help us in events or transitions. Based on the family’s culture and infants’ individual needs, the rituals are adjusted in the program to the infants. This way rituals help approach a routine and a way to connect to the family.

A quote that was meaningful to me was, “The time, predictability, and reliable emotional tone of rituals give the child, parent, and caregiver a sense of comfort and control. They help the child manage, or regulate, the unsettling feelings evoked by change and draw the child and the parent or caregiver closer with each reassuring repetition” (Gillespie and Petersen, 2012, pg 77). This quote was meaningful because it shows how as caregivers/parent we must give meaning to what the infant/toddler feels and help them get adjusted to the new environment they are exposed to.

These readings connect to my personal experience because although I did not go to a program to be looked after, my mother and father always had me and my little sister on a routine where we were used to every day and when my mother or father could not take care of us, they would have a friend of theirs to care for us and because they also have their way of doing things, we did not feel comfortable being there.

Infants, families, and staff benefit from phase-in because the staff learns about the infant and their family. Also, what rituals and routines the infant has and how the staff and parents can work together to be able to help the infant transition to the program.

I believe making connections and bonding with the families is the most important because, without the close bond and trust, the families will have a hard time working together and be able to help the infant progress and transition into the program.

7. How will these readings make you a better infant-toddler professional?
    These readings will make me a better infant-toddler professional because they inform me when I care for infants/toddlers I must learn their culture and how this affects the families’ routines and rituals. By learning about the family and creating a bond with them I am able to help and vice versa we can work together to find a method to help their infant to transition well into the program.

8. How does the Goldsmith & Theilheimer (2015) article connect to the other reading you did (Block, 2014 or Gillespie & Peterson, 2012)? Identify specific connections.
    Goldsmith & Theilheimer (2015) and Gillespie & Peterson, 2012 connect to each other because both talked about transitions. How rituals and Routines of each family are unique and programs must adjust their routines to the family’s and little by little help the new family and incorporate their routines and rituals to the programs.

4. What was the second reading you chose?
    – Gillispie & Peterson (2012)
    Summarize the main idea, key details, and what you learned from the readings in 4-6 sentences in your own words. Use key terms and vocabulary from the text.
    – the main idea of the reading was to show and explain how an infant experiences there fist time in daycare. it speaks about how to make a child as comfortable as possible with the parents feeling the same way. Little things like the daily routines that they have to go through everyday can help warm a child up to the start of fresh beginnings.
    What quote(s) was most meaningful to you? (identify the page number) Why?
    – A quote that was meaningful to me was, “Rituals are not just about making transitions easier for an infant; they are also about helping the special adults in the infant’s life.” This quote is meaningful to me because it shows that rituals are more important than others might actually think. Even though it is supposed to help the infants it is also there to make the parents of the child that comfort as well.
    How do these readings connect to your personal experience?
    -These readings connect to my personal experiences because it reminds me of my first day of school. It was hard for me to get along with others and feel at home but my teacher and my friends that I made later on that day helped me through the process.
    How do infants, families, and staff benefit from phase-in?
    -Infants, families, and staff benefit from phase- in because it allows them to get close to the caregiver that’s going to be with their child.
    Which guiding principle infant centers consider when infants enter their program do you think is most important? Why?
    -Making sure the child and the parent are both as comfortable as possible. This helps the following of both of their developments based on their trust.
    How will these readings make you a better infant-toddler professional?
    -It will help me because it is going to allow me to get closer to the caregiver of the child.
    How does the Goldsmith & Theilheimer (2015) article connect to the other reading you did (Block, 2014 or Gillespie & Peterson, 2012)? Identify specific connections.
    -The reading connects to the other reading because they both talk about the support that an infant needs in life to help them develop properly.

5. What was the second reading you chose?
    -Gillepsie and Petersen (2014)
    -Both the readings talk on the first experiences of an infant entering daycare also discussing the many concerns that the family would have into putting their child into daycare. Teachers also making sure that the child’s and the families needs are being met, allowing them to be able to trust and feel comfortable with that teacher.
    – “The teacher who will be the child’s primary caregiver calls the family to set up either a home visit or an intake interview at the center”. I felt this quote was most meaningful because many families who are busy at home and can not make it to the school are able to have the interviews at home, which makes it more convenient for the parent.
    -It connects to my personal experience because as a mom I am very cautious when it comes to my son and when I had set him up for school I had made sure that the school I had set him up with made sure that my needs were met when it came to my son, that they were able to listen to me and feel that I would be leaving my son in a safe trusting and caring environment.
    -They would be able to get close to the caregivers and learn about the infant and family.
    -connecting with the families and forming a close relationship so the family and caregiver would have an easier time working together.
    How will these reading make you a better infant-toddler professional?
    -Creating a close bond with the families and being able to work together to help better the infant/toddler.
    -They talk about the infants needs and work together to help the baby with his development.

6. 1. Gillispie & Peterson (2012)
    2.The reading was about all the experiences an infant has in his first time exposed toa daycare. The reading also suggests possible strategies that could help us make a child feel safe and confortable, as the parents are included in this process as well. The reading provides many details and possible was for us to introduce in our routines with children in order to help them gain confidence and trust the new experience.
    3.”Individualizing a routine means that the sequence is the same but the actions and timing may vary to accommodate the needs of individual children” (P76) this quote struck me by its relevance. I strongly believe it is crucial for us future educators to understand the importance of taking the time to know the children that we are providing care for in a thorough way, so that we can provide quality care while we are sure we are meeting their needs.
    4. I think that this kind of readings allow everybody to relate to them. everybody was one a child, and one way or another experienced the time when he was dropped off at school, and had o deal with some type of anxiety, and had to rely on the educators.
    5. Faculty members and parents are able to benefit from this plan because they are able to learn learns about the infant’s process. At the same time, with the strategies and ideas they provide, staff members and the family of the child, can build relationships of communication so that they both work together in pro of the child’s process of adapting to the new environment.
    6. As I previously mentioned, I believe that when the family and the staff members are able to build a relationship of communications, it becomes easier for the child as his process goes smoother, since his parents and caregivers are supporting him. The staff benefits in a way that with the help of the parents they can address the needs of the child in an easier way, and therefore they become able to provide quality care. And for the family, parents benefits from having this type of relationships as they are able to have a closer look to their child, even when they are not together. communicating with the staff members they can be aware of the practices of the program and the evolution of the child.
    7. I strongly believe this readings help me become a better professional, because as a future educator I will know how to make a child’s process of adapting to a new environment go smoother.
    8.Both readings argue strategies and habits of routine, while they include not only the child’s perspective, but also the educator and the family.

7. Both of the readings talk about the first experiences of a child starting daycare also stating the main concerns the family would have putting their child into daycare. Teachers also make sure that the child and their families needs are met and allowing them to be able to feel comfortable with the teacher. Small things like daily routines they have everyday can help the child warm up to new beginnings.

These readings will help me become a better professional by giving an insight on how to make a child’s process of adapting to a new setting go smooth also the childs family.