Alexander Torres – Conversation 2

Summary

1. In her music video, "Formation," Beyoncé expresses themes of Black empowerment, cultural pride, and resistance. She celebrates her African American heritage and roots, particularly in New Orleans. The song's lyrics and video highlight the strength, beauty, and resilience of Black communities. Beyoncé also addresses social and political issues, such as police brutality, the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, and racial inequality.

2. No, my initial reaction to the song and video primarily focused on the musical elements, beat, and overall entertainment rather than recognizing the deeper messages and themes presented.

3. Matsoukas, the director of the "Formation" music video, played a significant role in conveying Beyoncé's messages and themes visually. She utilized powerful imagery, such as scenes from post-Hurricane Katrina New Orleans, to highlight the song's themes of resilience and the impact of racial and social injustices. The video also features fascinating choreography and symbolic visuals that enhance the overall message of the song.

4. A rhetoric device I found in the lyrics was, "I slay, I slay, I slay, I slay." The repetition of "I slay" serves as a powerful and confident repetition that evokes a sense of empowerment. It's meant to inspire feelings of pride and confidence. Another rhetorical device I found was a euphemism in the lyric: "You just might be a black Bill Gates in the making." This line employs euphemism to convey the idea of potential and success. Comparing someone to "a black Bill Gates in the making" implies that they have the potential to achieve great success and wealth. It uses Bill Gates, a well-known and successful figure, as a positive reference point to inspire ambition and aspirations in the listener.

5. The song and video most likely became controversial because of its use of political imagery and symbolism, which is mostly seen in the music video. For example, Beyoncé is depicted standing atop a submerged New Orleans police car which could be seen as a disrespect to law enforcement.