Conversation 2

Summary

1) What messages/ themes did Beyonce want to express through the song and video?
- Beyonce wanted to express messages of empowerment, self-love and black pride through the song "Formation”. She celebrates her heritage and encourages others to embrace their identity and stand up against injustices such as racism and police brutality.

2)Are those messages/ themes similar to your initial reaction to the song and video?
- The first thing that stood out to me is the video. The video is incredible. I love the cinematography of it and the choreography is just stunning! The beats and the lyrics puts you on your toe, so this song can be in anyone’s dance - playlist. It’s such a powerful and empowering anthem with a strong message. Beyonce always knows how to make a statement through her music.

3) How did Matsoukas help Beyonce convey those messages/ themes?
- Matsoukas, the director of the "Formation" music video, played a crucial role in helping Beyoncé convey the song's powerful message. Through stunning visuals, symbolism, and storytelling, Matsoukas brought to life the themes of black pride, empowerment and resilience that Beyoncé wanted to express. The video's imagery and choreography added depth and impact to the song's message.

4) Find at least 2 examples of emotive language or rhetorical devices? What role do they play in the song? 
- The song uses emotive language to convey a strong message of empowerment and resilience. One example is when she proudly declares, "I slay, I slay, I slay!" This repetition of the word "slay" adds emphasis and power, evoking a sense of confidence and self-assuredness. It's a rallying cry that encourages listeners to embrace their own strength and individuality.

- Beyoncé skillfully employs rhetorical devices to enhance the impact of her message. One example is the use of repetition, such as when she repeatedly declares, "I'm a grown woman, I can do whatever I want." This repetition emphasizes her independence and defiance of societal expectations. Another example is the use of imagery, like when she says, "I'm so reckless when I rock my Givenchy dress." This paints a picture of her confidence and fearlessness.

5) Why do you think the song and video became controversial? 
- The song sparked controversy due to its powerful and unapologetic celebration of black culture, identity, and pride. The song and its accompanying music video addressed issues of racial inequality, police brutality, and social justice. Some people were uncomfortable with the boldness and directness of Beyoncé's message, leading to debates and discussions about race, activism, and the role of artists in society. Despite the controversy, "Formation" also received widespread acclaim for its artistic and cultural significance. I think it's important to remember that everyone has different opinions, and not everyone may appreciate or understand the messages in Beyoncé's "Formation." Many fans and critics alike praised the song for its boldness, cultural significance, and powerful statements. It sparked important conversations about race, identity, and empowerment.