BUS 104-Ethics Writing Assignment 

I don’t usually eat at many fast food restaurants, but whenever I am out at the mall or in the city and want to grab a bite, my favorite go-to is Chick-fil-a. After this week’s unit, I automatically wanted to research Chick-fil-a because not only do I think they serve the best chicken sandwiches in the fast food chain industry, but because I heard many of the company’s values are influenced by Christian religious beliefs, thus the reason the business is closed on Sundays. The more I looked into the company, the more interesting facts I learned about what goes on behind just a fast food restaurant. 

When you go to the company’s website under their “about us” section, the first thing they cover is the reason they are closed on Sundays. The founder of Chick-fil-a believed that “he and his employees could set aside one day to rest and worship if they choose.” Most of the company’s core values included being a family-owned business, diversity, equality, and serving back to the community.

While looking more in-depth into their website, they provide their annual Corporate Social Responsibility Report. In 2021, the company donated millions of meals to local organizations and communities through the Chick-fil-A Shared Table program. The company volunteers to serve in their hometown of Atlanta in a variety of ways by helping nonprofits maximize their impact and support education and leadership development.

Like any other company, Chick-fil-A is devoted to creating a positive and supportive workplace for its employees. In 2021, they launched funds available to members for times in need. A wide range of community groups is also available to staff, such as Women in Business (WIB), Black Employee Resource Group (BERG), Young Professionals, and the Chick-fil-A Green Team.

The Chick-fil-A Green Team launched in 2021 to help encourage sustainable practices across the business and commits to decreasing environmental impact by reducing food waste. Of course, the quality of the food is what’s very important as well. Since chicken is the center of their menu, they only serve chicken raised with no antibiotics. Most of their food is raised and grown on farms, and their suppliers are verified by the US Department of Agriculture (USDA).

In conclusion, now in the post-pandemic era, social responsibility has become significantly more important. I believe Chick-fil-A is doing a good job supporting local and global communities so far. I recommend they be more eco-conscious in the upcoming years since food waste is a big issue in this industry. For now, the only con is that I hope I don’t crave them on Sundays!

https://www.chick-fil-a.com/about/who-we-are

https://www.chick-fil-a.com/about/giving-back