This is a photo of the Federal Reporter. The Federal Reporter is an index of all federal cases.
- Operationalize the federal reporter.
- Understand the construction of a legal citation.
- Demonstrate how to search for a case through a case citation.
- Understand and apply the various components of a student case brief.
- Define and operationalize the parties in a case.
- Review the link to the Georgetown Law School Bluebook Guide to Citing Cases. Watch the case law tutorial to understand how citations are constructed.
- Oyez and Justia are two excellent websites to search for cases. Almost all the cases that we study can be found by searching on those sites.
- This course requires that you are able to search for a case and write student case briefs in which the parties, issues, question and holdings are explained in a written student case brief.
- Review both handouts below: The handout on the left is a guide to writing a case brief written by the John Jay College of Criminal Justice library staff. The handout on the right is a sample student case brief to model your student briefs.