Module 2 Relationships Activity #2: Relationship Scenarios

Read the Relationship-Based Practices scenarios.

Relationship Based Child Care Scenarios
  • Pick any 3 scenarios. 
  • Reflect on how you would handle each situation using a relationship-based model of practice described by Baker and Manfredi/ Pettit (2004)  
  • Answer the follow questions: 
  1. Identify which scenarios you picked.
  2. For each scenario, explain how you would respond and what you would do in the situation.
  3. Include specific references to Baker and Manfredi/Pettit (2004) and the video in your responses.
  4.  

Reply to 2 other comments with different scenarios then you selected!

39 thoughts on “Module 2 Relationships Activity #2: Relationship Scenarios”

1. 3 scenarios
    – You have started to engage in more sensory activities with your 12- to 18-month- old children. Marcus’ family asks you not to let their son get his clothes dirty.
    I would talk to Marcus’s family and explain to them that sensory activities are important for motor skills, cognitive and brain development. When children explore their world they become more creative, so there is no way not to get their clothes dirty because most sensory activities focus on stimulating touch and these activities require slime, sand, paint, artificial snow, foam dough, etc.
    Having a positive relationship between the caregiver and parents facilitate the child’s development “Relationships with parents that are friendly and reciprocal make caregivers more likely to delight in children’s progress, remember details to share about the day, think about the children after hours, and remain connected to the family beyond the child care years”
    -Your colleague believes that children should have nice and pretty art projects to take home to their families. She does the projects for the children or does it hand-over-hand with each child. You believe that children learn by doing and that they should complete the projects independently. Your co-worker is spending a lot of time doing art projects for the children so they look nice. This means you are left to care for the class while she does the art projects.
    I would explain to my co-worker that art projects help with fine motor skills, math, language, cognitive and emotional development. So that’s why it’s important to allow children to do their art projects independently and let their imaginations fly, even if the work doesn’t look pretty the way she wants it.
    When a relationship with your co-worker is positive and respectful it makes the job easier “When staff members become comfortable, caring teams, they are actually better able to remain focused on the children in care. In settings where teachers have a strong sense of collegiality, interactions are genuine and relaxed and individuals feel free to express their thoughts openly.”
    – You have a new co-worker in your room. She appears to strap Carlos, who is 12 months old, into the stroller as you leave for the park. As she pushes the stroller a little way Carlos slides out of the stroller to the floor. Carlos cries but does not hit his head, or have any cuts, bruises, or red marks on him.
    I would tell her/him to make sure to strap any child well and double-check before going anywhere to avoid problems. Children are under our responsibility and when they have a secure attachment, it helps them build a trusting relationship with caring adults. “When adults have trusting relationships with plenty of give and take and care is seamless, children reap the benefits.”

1. I agree with you sometimes explaining to parents what is actually going on with their child and how certain activities are benefiting them is very helpful. I remember my daughters day care teacher would ask us to send a change of clothes when she knew they would be doing an activity that was a little messy .

2. Daniela — Thanks for your comment. You have thoughtful connections to Baker & Manfreddi/Pettit (2004). I wonder, what pages are those quotes from? You have very clear explanations and rationales for your decisions. I wonder, what if Marcus’ family says that in their culture school is for learning, not playing, and so Marcus should be learning. I wonder, what if your co-worker says that she just wants the art projects to look nice for the families? I wonder, what if your new colleague says she does not know how to use the new stroller? What is the “give and take” in your relationship with your new colleague that you reference in the Baker & Manfreddi/Pettit (2004) reading?

2. The first scenario 1)”Your co-worker has been coming to work late recently which means you are alone with the children until he arrives”
    The way I would respond is to talk to my supervisor and let them know the situation so they can talk to my co-worker to let him know we both have to put our parts equally.He/she must engage with the children like according to the reading “Attachment and conscience” children tend to do better by cooperate and development Language proficiency when they build a bond with the care-giver.
    The second scenario 3)”You have a new co-worker in your room. she appears to strap Carlos who is 12 months old, into the stroller as you leave for the park. As she pushes the stroller a little way Carlos slides out the stroller to the floor. Carlos cries but does not hit his head, or have any cuts, bruises, or red marks on him.”
    The way I would respond would be to inform the day care about the situation and let the parents know of the incident, that it will never have again.Also for my co-worker explain how to properly sit a child in a stroller.According to the reading page 17 it’s important to have a solid relationship between the care-giver and the parent.
    The third scenario I picked would be number 7)Your director is removing microwaves from the classroom. This policy impacts you because you need to warm up baby food on the microwave.
    What I would do is gather all the employees in the building and of-course the families to let them know the situation and why it’s important show the pros/cons.It’s important to always inform the parents or guardians because according to the reading page 24 families feel more confident leaving their children with those care-givers.

1. I would also talk to my co-worker their has to be a teacher to child ratio and by her not being there shes putting your and the children in danger because its impossible for your eyes to be on all the children at once.

2. Hi Lesly! I agree with you about talking to my co-worker that they need to get their on time because if you are alone with the children can be overwhelming and dangerous there is more children and one adult in the room its not easy to keep an eye of every child.

3. Hello Lesly,

My response is to the third scenario on the removing of the microwaves and I think it is a great idea to gather all employees and make a stand to show the pros/cons on the situation because having a microwave is not only beneficial for co-workers but it is easy to heat up baby food if necessary.

4. Lesly — Thanks for your comment in this activity. Communicating with the family is always important when issues arise — whether an injury results or not. Reviewing what to do with your colleague supports their growth and identity. I wonder, how would your colleague in scenario #1 feel when you went to your supervisor to discuss the situation? I am not familiar with the reading “Attachment & Conscience”; I wonder, how does the scenario connect to Baker & Manfreddi/ Pettit (2004)? For scenario #7, being transparent with information is important; I wonder, what if your director is responding to new guidelines set by the Department of Health?

3. Scenario #3
    I would check on the child to make sure he is OK. I would then immediately contact his parents and let them know about the incident even though there are no visible injuries. The child can be Ok in my presence but once he gets home anything can happen and then the parents will come back to you wondering why you didn’t inform them that their child had an accident. I would then let my co -worker know of my concerns in a way that is respectful and express to her that we must maintain a safe and healthy environment for the children.
    Scenario#8
    I would ensure the father that this information in confidential and refer him to a community resource and or professional support resources. Also following up to make sure that the resources were provided . Last I would keep a closer eye on the child when he is in my care to observe if his behavior changes.
    Scenario #2
    I would discuss the issue with the family and let them know of the children’schedule . During this conversation we can also try and find a solution so it works out for the parents and the child.

1. Brittney — Thanks for your comment in this activity. For scenario #3, having clear communication with the family is important — even if the child is not hurt. For scenario #8, providing support for the father is important as well as making him aware of resources in the community that can help him & hos family. I wonder, for scenario #2, what would you say to the family about the child’s nap schedule? I wonder, how do your responses connect to the Baker & Manfreddi/ Pettit (2004) reading?

4. 2.Marquette is transitioning from two short naps a day to one longer nap in the afternoon. This is causing her problems at bedtime. Her family asks you to make sure she naps from 10 AM to 12 PM each day.
    I will work with her family on her nap. By creating a curriculum for her sleeping schedule together. According (Baker & Manfredi/ Pettit 2004) when both parents and caregivers works on creating routine for infants/toddlers. It will benefit the child and both the parents and the caregiver.

4.You have started to engage in more sensory activities with your 12-to 18-month-old children. Marcus’ family asks you not to let their son get his clothes dirty.
    I will ask them nicely, if they can bring an extra pair of clothes, that I can put on him during sensory activities, so he does not dirty his clothes. According (Baker & Manfredi/ Pettit 2004) communication and understanding play a big role in the relationship between the parents and caregivers.

3.You have a new co-worker in your room. She appears to strap Carlos, who is 12 months old, into the stroller as you leave for the park. As she pushes the stroller a little way Carlos slides out of the stroller to the floor. Carlos cries but does not hit his head, or have any cuts, bruises, or red marks on him.
    I will calm down Carlos, then I will teach my co-worker how she should make sure that she straps him into the stroller the right way. According to (Baker & Manfredi/ Pettit 2004) in the work environment we should have a understanding and care for one another. In this case she was new, and I should show her from the beginning how to strap him into the stroller.

1. Hello Elizabeth
      I agree with you because as stated by Baker and Manfredi, ” a close parent-caregiver relationship reduces confusion or tension between home and center.” In this case I would coordinate with the parents , so we can find a solution together.

2. Hi Elizabeth! I agree with you because it is important to a relationship with the parents because as a caregiver we want to be able to have their trust and the child trust as well. We need to communicate with them as well to fix any problems.

3. Hi Elizabeth,

My response is to scenario #2 on Marquette transitioning to short naps from longer naps and I agree that working with the family to build a schedule is a great idea because it forms comfort and trust with the parents and the child.

4. Elizabeth — Thanks for your comment in this activity. You wove Baker & Manfreddi/ Pettit(2004) into your responses. Working together with Marquette’s family is important in this situation; we always want to accommodate children’s needs not force them to assimilate to the schedule of the classroom. Working with Marcus’ family to find a mutual solution that benefits everyone is in the best interest of the child & builds relationships. Assisting your co-worker will develop her knowledge/ abilities and build your relationship!

5. Scenario 1Your co-worker has been coming to work late recently which means you are left with the children until he arrives, I would have a conversation with my co-worker , to see what the problem is and how I can help in solving the problem, but not in front the children.

Scenario 10 Miguel’s family is concerned about his diaper rash. They ask you change his diaper every hour. I would comply with the family’s demands and let them know that I comply with their demands. I would also explain to Miguel every time I change his diaper why I will be changing it more often.

Scenario 3 for this scenario I would make sure Carlos makes a visit to the school nurse to ensure the doesn’t have any injuries. Then make a report of what happened and informed Carlos parents

1. Hello Shemella
      I agree with your solution on scenario #10, because I believe that we should always sympathize with the parents, like you said “comply with the family’s demands”. In addition I would tell them to not to worry because I would like someone to do the same thing for me if I am in the same situation.

2. Mel — Thanks for creating a comment in this activity. Your responses demonstrate you are working to build trust & relationships with the families & co-workers in your classroom. For the situation with Carlos, I wonder, what would you say to your new colleague? I wonder, how do your responses connect to the Baker & Manfreddi/Pettit (2004) reading?

6. 1) The three scenarios that I picked were:
    You have a new co-worker in your room. She appears to strap Carlos, who is 12
    months old, into the stroller as you leave for the park. As she pushes the stroller
    a little way Carlos slides out of the stroller to the floor. Carlos cries but does not
    hit his head, or have any cuts, bruises, or red marks on him.
    In this scenario I would still check snd see if he’s okay.

Your co-worker has been coming to work late recently which means you are
    alone with the children until he arrives.
    In this scenario, I would ask him to try to be on time more or find another available co worker to help me until he comes.

Your director is removing microwaves from the classroom. This policy impacts
    you because you need to warm up baby food in the microwave.
    In the scenario, I would ask to keep the microwave because I need it to warm up the food or I would buy my own microwave to keep in the classroom.

1. Diamunique — Thanks for your comment in this activity? I appreciate your concern for Carlos; I wonder, what would you say to your new co-worker or to Carlos’ family? Speaking directly to your co-worker who is coming in late to work and your director who is removing the microwave can support your relationships with them. I wonder, how does your response to the scenarios connect to Baker & Manfreddi/Pettit (2004)?

7. 1)Miguel’s family is concerned about his diaper rash. They ask you change his diaper every hour.
    Following the relationship base model, first I would always sympathize with the parents, for I would tell them to not to worry because I would like someone to do the same thing for me if I am in the same situation.
    2) A father comes in one morning with sunglasses on. As he puts his child down, the child knocks the sunglasses off his face and you notice he has a black eye. You ask if everything is OK. The father tearfully shares with you that his wife has been physically abusive recently because of financial stress the family is facing.
    Directors encourage teachers to emphasize with parents and appreciate the stress of raising a family. Once parents are comfortable, they are more likely to share information about their family relationships and in this case personal issues. The father is sharing this unfortunate event with me because we had become more trusting to each other and we can find a solution because of the friendship that has form over time.
    3)Marquette is transitioning from two short naps a day to one longer nap in the afternoon. This is causing her problems at bed time. Her family asks you to make sure she naps from 10 AM to 12 PM each day.
    A close parent-caregiver relationship reduces confusion or tension between home and center that children may feel during this transition time. In this case I would coordinate with the parents, work with them and come up with a plan in order to find a solution for this challenging transition.

1. Marcela — Thanks for your comment in this activity. Sharing your concern & understanding for Miguel & his family can facilitate your relationship with them. The father in scenario #8 is showing his trust and finding a solution together respect his decision making abilities in the situation. Coordinating with Marquette’s family shows your respect for them, which is the foundation of trust. It appears to me that you are referencing material from the Baker & Manfreddi/Pettit (2004) text in your comment; I wonder, how can you indicate and cite that you are referencing the text?

8. 1. scenario #6-“Li has started to leave portions of his lunch uneaten, as well as his snacks. His
    family asks you to make sure he eats all his lunch and snacks.”- I would talk to Li’s parents telling them that Li did not want to finish their lunch or snacks. I would ask them if they feed Li in the mornings.
    scenario #4- “You have started to engage in more sensory activities with your 12- to 18-monthold children. Marcus’ family asks you not to let their son get his clothes dirty.”- I would ask them if they can bring extra clothes so I could put them on when we do sensory activities. According (Baker & Manfredi/ Pettit 2004) having a relationship between the parents and caregivers is important to communicate and understand.
    scenario #7- “Your director is removing microwaves from the classroom. This policy impacts
    you because you need to warm up baby food in the microwave.” – I would ask my director why are they removing microwaves but I will tell them that I would by my own to keep in my classroom to heat up baby food.

1. I like your response for scenario 7. I think always finding out why is always important. it can be many reason. I personally would do the same thing and buy my own microwave or simply by a heat bag, which keeps everything in room temperature which I feel is good that way nothing it too cold or too hot for babies.

2. Madelin — Thanks for your comments in this activity. Having a conversation with Li’s family is important; I wonder, how will you address the issue of them wanting you to ensure Li eats all of his lunch/ snacks? Buying your own microwave could be a solution to the issue in scenario #7: I wonder, what would the conversation you have with your director look like around the issue? You identify how scenario #4 connects to Baker & Manfreddi/Pettit (2004); I wonder, how does your response to scenario #6 and 7 connect to Baker & Manfreddi/Pettit (2004)?

9. Scenario #1- (1) “Your co-worker has been coming to work late recently which means you are left with the children until he arrives.” I would talk to my supervisor and ask them to talk to my co-worker privately and to tell her/him that punctuality is important because the more time you spend with the children you develop a relationship. On page 8 of “Relationships, the Heart of Quality Care” by Baker and Manfredi/Petitt, “Attachment and conscience” the relationship between the child and caregiver become the base of the child’s success in school and have less behavioral problems.

Scenario #2- (6) “Li has started to leave portions of his lunch uneaten, as well as his snacks. His family asks you to make sure he eats all his lunch and snacks.” I would handle this situation by asking Li why he is not finishing his food and bring it up to the parents attention. On pg 11 Baker and Manfredi/Petitt mention Family-Caregiver partnerships by developing this relationship you and the parent communicate about the issues that are going on with the child and get a better understanding.

Scenario #3- (10) Miguel’s family is concerned about his diaper rash. They ask you to change his diaper every hour.” I would handle this situation very carefully and ask the parents if they have taken Miguel to the doctors to get the rash checked out and ask if so, did they get a prescription for the rash. I would change the diaper to avoid any conflicts and check up with them regularly and ask if rash has gotten better.

1. I didn’t choose scenario 2, however I completely agree with your way of handling the situation. sometimes parents aren’t aware why kids don’t do or do certain things and its important to share what happens with our kids everyday so we can understand what we can do together as adults what we can do for his or her needs.

2. Brenda — Thanks for creating a comment in this activity. Speaking to your co-worker directly will facilitate the relationship you have with them. Speaking with LI is 1 option; if Li is not able to give you an answer because of his age, I wonder, how will you communicate with Li’s family about this issue (using your connection to Baker & Manfreddi/Pettit (2004). Communicating with Miguel’s family about his diaper rash is important; I wonder, what do you mean when you say, “I would change the diaper to avoid any conflicts”? You included references to Baker & Manfreddi/Pettit (2004) for scenarios #1 and 3; I wonder, how does Baker & Manfreddi/Pettit (2004) connect to your response to scenario #10?

10. Scenario #1. Your co-worker has been coming to work late recently which means you are alone with the children until he arrives. If my co-worker was to arrive late recently I would pull him to the side to ask him if everything is okay and if there is anything I can do to help with his commute to work in order to come in on time.

Scenario #8. A father comes in one morning with sunglasses on. As he puts his child down, the child knocks the sunglasses off his face and you notice he has a black eye. You ask if everything is OK. The father tearfully shares with you that his wife has been physically abusive recently because of financial stress the family is facing. I would talk to the parent privately, away from the child and ask him if he would like to talk to my boss and handle the situation privately with the school and make sure that the child is not being abused.

Scenario #10.Miguel’s family is concerned about his diaper rash. They ask you change his diaper every hour. I would speak to Miguels parents and tell them that the diaper rash could be caused by the fabric of the diaper and he might need to switch to a different brand but I would take him to a doctor to get checked first to make sure that he could possibly be allergic to the type of fabric of the diaper he is currently wearing.

1. Selanie — Thanks for your comment in this activity. Speaking to your co-worker directly, and checking in to see if they are ok, can build your relationship! Checking on the welfare of the child is important in scenario #8, so is ensuring the well-being of the father. Your response shows you are working to support both members of the family. Offering Miguel’s family advice can be helpful; I wonder, what if they took him to the doctor and this is what the doctor recommended? I wonder, how do your responses connect to Baker & Manfreddi/Pettit (2004)?

11. I chose scenarios 1, 9, and 10.
    scenario 1: if my co-worker has been coming to work late recently, and I’m alone with the children until he arrives, the way I would handle this situation is by having a one on one conversation with him and try to find out why. with whatever answer he gives me my goal is to be completely understanding but give my best advice to what can be done to avoid the issue.
    scenario 9: if I took off my badge in the process of picking up or holding a baby leaving it behind, and I got stopped by security for staff check and don’t have it on me, while my supervisor gets involved and frustrated, I will let my issue be known for why its not present on me and further take responsibility and try to perhaps carry it at all times in places babies can’t reach for example my back pocket or purse etc.

12. I chose scenarios 1, 9, and 10.
    scenario 9: if I took off my badge in the process of picking up or holding a baby leaving it behind, and I got stopped by security for staff check and don’t have it on me, while my supervisor gets involved and frustrated, I will let my issue be known for why its not present on me and further take responsibility and try to perhaps carry it at all times in places babies can’t reach for example my back pocket or purse etc. 10: it says Miguels father is concerned about his diaper rash and asks me to change his diaper every hour. what I would do is try to find out from the parents why he has one and what have they done to try and fix it. if nothing is told I will try to offer things they can do or where they can go to see if it can help the child out.

I’ve chosen all these answers with the help of the video Baker and Manfredi/Pettit (2004). in the video they said it is very important to continue to build a relationship with parents in order to create a better environment and relationship with the child.

1. Marielys — Thanks for creating a comment in this activity. Your response to scenario #1 demonstrates you are working to build a stronger relationship with your colleague. For scenario #9, putting the ID in your back pocket is a good idea; I wonder, how will you interact (what will you say/do) with the security guard? I appreciate your interest in trying to help Miguel’s family by offering advice, suppose they have taken him to the doctor & this is what the doctor recommends: I wonder, what will you say/ do? I wonder, how does your response to each scenario connect to Baker & Manfreddi/ Pettit (2004) specifically?

13. Marielys — Thanks for creating a comment in this activity. Your response to scenario #1 demonstrates you are working to build a stronger relationship with your colleague. For scenario #9, putting the ID in your back pocket is a good idea; I wonder, how will you interact (what will you say/do) with the security guard? I appreciate your interest in trying to help Miguel’s family by offering advice, suppose they have taken him to the doctor & this is what the doctor recommends: I wonder, what will you say/ do? I wonder, how does your response to each scenario connect to Baker & Manfreddi/ Pettit (2004) specifically?