Module 7 Sensory Processing Assignment #4: Self-Reflection

At the end of the semester you will determine your grade for ECE 209 based on your self-assessment of what you have learned. In preparation for your self-assessment, answer the questions below; you will answer these questions at the end of each module so you have a record of what you have learned over the semester. You can answer the questions here on Open Lab or create a journal on Blackboard (which would be private).

• What did you learn in this module?
    • Information/ knowledge
    • Skills
    • Insights (connections you made or “ah-ha’s” you had about the material)
  • How will the material from this module better prepare you to work with infants?

12 thoughts on “Module 7 Sensory Processing Assignment #4: Self-Reflection”

1. I learned the babies learn sensory before they are born. They prefer to hear the voice of their mothers because it is the voice they’re used to hearing from inside the belly. I learned that sensory is important for an infant’s development because it is the way for them to explore the environment. This module will better prepare me because it showed me the importance in doing sensory activities with children and how it effects their development in positive ways.

2. At the end of the semester you will determine your grade for ECE 209 based on your self-assessment of what you have learned. In preparation for your self-assessment, answer the questions below; you will answer these questions at the end of each module so you have a record of what you have learned over the semester. You can answer the questions here on Open Lab or create a journal on Blackboard (which would be private).
    * What did you learn in this module?
    * Information/ knowledge
    * Skills
    * Insights (connections you made or “ah-ha’s” you had about the material)
    * How will the material from this module better prepare you to work with infants?

Answer: In this module I learned about sensory processing, which is when a child has a hard time gathering and interpreting those sensory inputs, they may show signs of sensory issues. These may include difficulty with balance and coordination, screaming, or being aggressive when wanting attention, and jumping up and down frequently. And how you can help the child by provide a sensory area for your child to go to with calming music, a soft or weighted blanket, noise cancelling headphones, chewelry, fidgets, a vibrating palm massager, and low lighting.

3. What I’ve learned in this module is that infants can be overstimulated based on the sensory activity that is going on. Of course during their infant years it is best to introduce them to different sensory activities, such as foam, the sound of the ocean, or even the taste of fruits. However children can become stressed and irritated because the child is too sensitive.

4. 1:What did you learn in this module?
    Information/ knowledge
    Skills
    Insights (connections you made or “ah-ha’s” you had about the material)
    This week I learned the importance of making sure we are introducing things to children before hand. I learned that babies are crazy sensitive to everything around them. I believe that this makes sense because for 9 months they have been inside a nice warm and comfortable place where sounds was heard but not so loud and now they are outside and its noisy probably cold and they just do not know to handle all of it at once. For me what made me have my AHH moment was actually seeing an example of what overstimulation in a child might look like. I work with children and hear this word used and might have “seen” a child experiencing this type of situation and I have might thought is that the child does not want to participate or is just “not feeling” the activity.

2:How will the material from this module better prepare you to work with infants?
    These materials will help take a closer look at children behaviors and making sure I am communicating with my co- teachers and the parents to see if the parents have also experience the same behaviors at home.

5. 1:What did you learn in this module?
    Information/ knowledge
    Skills
    This week I understood again the importance of communication and making sure we are observing in children all the time. I learned that everything that we do needs to be introduce to babies and young children. Because, we might know what that instrument sounds like but for a child who is not exposed that experience can have a negative impact. This week I personally learned not to assume what is happening to child might be what I am thinking. This week we watched the video of a little girl name Lucy. Lucy’s classmates were all enjoying the shaving cream instead of Lucy. I automatically thought that she was having a bad day or she was tired and did not what to participate today in general. But, after all the readings and videos maybe Lucy was overstimulated and that was her way of showing it.

The materials in this week module will better prepare me to work with infants because I will know that I have to focus on the little things. I will know that every infant is different and everything must be done correctly so they are always benefiting and developing correctly.

6. In this week module I’ve learnt about sensory process and these 8 senses visual/sight, auditory/hearing, tactile, olfactory/ smell, oral/tasting, proprioception, vestibular, interoception. I learnt that some activities can over stimulate the sensory system, which makes it hard for the information to be process.
    This information will make me a better infant teacher because it helps me find was to better serve my student when they are not responding to certain activies

7. In this week module I learned the eight senses of a baby which is touch, vision, tactile, auditory/hearing, smell/olfactory, oral/tasting, vestibular, interception, proprioception. I learned that certain senses can overstimulate a baby. The become irritated and uncomfortable.
    This weeks module will help me better prepare to become a educator by teaching me about different ways to understand a babies sensory activities and what they like and don’t like. Every child is different and you have to learn how satisfied each child comfort zone.

8. i learn that their 8 sensory process instead of the basic 5 senses that we all know. i learn about individualist and collectivist and how it plays a role in our culture. I learn more about myself and everyone else doing the flipgrid videos. I plan to use what i learn and apply it to everyday life being around children.

9. In this module I learned about sensory processing and how other kids have the same problems. My sister likes to shake toys and for her that feeling feels good to her and it intrigues her. We also learned about each others cultural background through flipgrid.

10. In this module of ECE 209 lecture and seminar we went over sensory processing and how crucial it is for children’s learning foundation and development. We also got into depth of what cultural identity is, and how we as infant teachers should be aware of the various cultural, values, and beliefs around us to be able to implement that in our teaching and make children feel comfortable and welcomed in the classroom.

11. In this module I learned about infants and their stages of developing in sensory skills. While some kids develop their sensory motor skills such as touch, there are other kids who pick up pretty late. It is not because they are delayed but because they just need a little more time intaking information. This information would help me become a better a teacher because it has helped me realize that each kid is special and different. Each kid learn at their pace and time. I would know not to label them or even try to think otherwise of them and judge they are delayed. I will keep in mind that each kid learns at a different pace.