Module 3 Assignment 2: Choice (9/6-9/13)

Read Gillespie & Hunter (2011)

Gilespie & Hunter(2011)

Read Snyder (2011)

Snyder (2011)

Pick 1 of the 3 activities below to complete.  When commenting, indicate which activity you picked:

Choice #1: Attachment & Families

Watch this video.  I suggest completing this handout as you watch the video.

Aliyah’s mother, Selena, tells you that 15-month-old Aliyah is more attached to you than she is to Selena herself.

1. How does that make you feel?
      2. How do you think Selena is feeling?
      3. How will you answer Selena?

Cite information from the readings, videos, and Power Point in Module 3 Assignments #1 and #2 as you answer Selena.

Choice #2: Identifying Attachment Patterns

Watch this video on Ainworth’s Strange Situation and attachment patterns:

Watch the following below. For each video, what attachment pattern (secure, insecure ambivalent, insecure avoidant) is each child demonstrating? How do you know? Use evidence from the videos, readings and Power Points to support your conclusion.

Video #1:

Video #2:

Video #3:

Choice #3: Creating Attachments

Watch the video Creating an Attachment with your Baby. I suggest completing this handout as you watch the video.

What should infant teachers do to create attachments with babies in their classrooms?  Use information from the readings, video, and your insights to develop a list of what infant teachers can do.  Cite the readings and video.

Reply to 1 comment that is a different choice then you!

25 thoughts on “Module 3 Assignment 2: Choice (9/6-9/13)”

1. Aliyah’s mother, Selena, tells you that 15-month-old Aliyah is more attached to you than she is to Selena herself.
    1. How does that make you feel?
    2. How do you think Selena is feeling?
    3. How will you answer Selena?

1. Answer: I would feel personally happy that her child is attached to me. I love children so it would not bother me at all.

2. Answer: I think Selena would feel a little bit sad just because she is seeing her child being attached to someone else.

3. Answer: I would answer it by letting her know that it is normal and she has nothing to worry about , I would let her know that she is 15 months and around that age they grow multiple attachments and with that secure attachment it causes the parts of her baby’s brain responsible for social and emotional development, communication, and relationships to grow and develop in the best way possible

1. Answer: Be Involved at school because attachment is largely dependent upon what teachers’s/caregivers do, Be sensitive to your student’s needs your consistent warmth and responsiveness especially in these first 12 months of life. In the first video youtube video it says attachment with primary carer grows and also increased interest in developing bonds with others, be appropriate teaching an infant can be exhausting but babies can sense energy, be affectionate show a smile at your students from across the room.

1. Although we chose different topics I see the relationship between out readings and videos. It seems you as well have watched the same video that I did which was choice 3. I agree with you on noticing that babies can sense energy because it is true. I remember after I gave birth from my little boy, my oldest sister was going through a difficult time where she lost her job and called off her engagement with her fiance. She was really stressed. I used to work so she was caregiver while I worked. Being she was under stressed she didn’t realize the affect it would have on my son. He would fuss most of the times with her and refused to even take his bottle. After teaching her what I learned in my birth classes I informed her this information that is it important she learns to keep her personal problems hidden and show happiness when she is caring for my son. Over the months she was able to see for herself that it was true. Things eventually fell into place and it became easy to care for him.

2. Reassuring the parent and letting them know that infants create multiple attachments is a great response. It will help the parent understand that the infant is in a safe and happy environment, where they are building trust with the teachers and others.

3. Hey Janate, I agree with all your answer I would also feel happy that a child is feeling comfortable around me. This to me is a sign of me doing my job correctly. I would say that I would try to speak to the more and see where can I help her to make this type of relationship with her child. Maybe the mom is really busy and at times is really tired and does not really attend to the child’s needs. I would work to make a relationship between them two so the child can feel secure all the time even if that primary caregiver is not around.

1. Patty — You & Janate make good points; we feel good when we have close relationships with babies & when others notice that. It indicates we are doing our job as we should! I wonder, what would you do to support the relationship between Selena and Aliyah?

2. Aliyah’s mother, Selena, tells you that 15-month-old Aliyah is more attached to you than she is to Selena herself.

How does that make you feel?
    It will make me feel sad that her mother feels like that but I wouldn’t feel any way that the baby is attached to me.
    How do you think Selena is feeling?
    I feel like Selena is hurt that her baby is attached to me.
    How will you answer Selena? I would tell Selena that its normal for her 15 month old baby to have an attachment with others because around her age she will run across different people and personalities which she will connect with others but this is apart of her emotional and social development.

1. Hey Tamaris, I agree that the mother would feel hurt that her baby has more of an attachment to me more that her, but the way how you explained that it normal at that age for infants to for form attachments will help her feel better.

3. The choice I choose is 3.
    To create attachments to infants teachers can
    1. Make sure all needs are being met, example answer to every cry, learn non verbal ques.
    2. Give individual attention to each child. In the second reading (Synder 2011) talks about capitalizing on one on one opportunities to give individual attention, like around feeding time, when other infants are sleeping etc. Whenever those moments pop up.
    3. Forming bonds with the families to learn more about the child’s home life
    4. By using the 3 R’s talked about in (Cheshier 2007) Respect, response and relationship And in the power point from (module 2slide 5) Reciprocity.

1. Hi Shemella, i agree with your answers because i believe for teacher to create an attachment they should create a bond/relationship with both family and infant, understand the cues of each child, give the attention that each child need, etc

1. Lacoya — Creating a bond with the family — so the family feels safe and secure with the infant teacher and knows they can trust the infant teacher — facilitates the bond between the baby and infant teacher! If the family is stressed and worried about leaving their baby with the infant teacher, the baby senses that. If the family has trust with the infant teacher, the baby senses that too!

4. Read Gillespie & Hunter (2011)

Read Snyder (2011)

Pick 1 of the 3 activities below to complete. When commenting, indicate which activity you picked:

Choice #1: Attachment & Families

Watch this video. I suggest completing this handout as you watch the video.

choice #1

1.How does that make you feel?
    Ans: I honestly wouldn’t feel anyhow because i had babies that attached themselves to me before, it makes me feel good knowing that i can make the baby feel happy and secure he/she are in my presents.
    2.How do you think Selena is feeling?
    Ans: I think she might feel a little confused why would her baby attach herself to me and not her mother. She might think she doing something wrong but i would reassure her that she not.
    3.How will you answer Selena?
    Ans: I would explain to Selena that’s she has no need to be in her feelings when her baby attach herself to other people because its normal. I would tell her that there four different types of attachments that babies go through at that age. At 15 months her baby is experiencing “multiple attachments” where she interested in developing a bond with others and not just her primary caregiver and that its part of her daughters development stage of being social, emotional, wanting to communicate, etc.

5. Creating attachment starts at the utero inside the mom when her baby starts to develop inside her. Babies start to hear and connect with the outside world from inside their mommies. It is very important that you attend to a baby when they are exposed to the world. As mentioned in Creating Attachments, it’s important that teachers learn to respond to babies when they ask for it. Such as crying, many have called it spoiling over the years when you attend to a crying baby but in reality, it is a must to pay attention to the cries of a baby. It is also mentioned in the readings for this week’s module on Gillispie and Amy Hunter and Promoting Positive Attachments in Infants by Christine Synder whereas they both explained that “when parents and caregivers attempt to read a baby’s cues (such as the ways the baby communicates, for example, by crying, etc.) and try to respond to the child needs and wishes, the baby learns the caregiver is a source of comfort and security”. In other words, when closely observing a child and learning the baby’s ways of asking for help can help caregivers to understand the baby and comfort the baby which helps the baby to trust their caregiver. Many times babies cry is when they are in need of support and this happens in the first few years because being in the world is new to them. Another thing I learned from watching the Creating Attachments video is that babies feel what we feel. When you are under stress and feeling a lot of tension babies are able to pick up on those feelings as well. Therefore, as a teacher when creating attachment with your children is important that you learn to leave all your problems at the door and don’t let your problems interfere with you caring for a baby.

6. What should infant teachers do to create attachments with babies in their classrooms? Use information from the readings, video, and your insights to develop a list of what infant teachers can do. Cite the readings and video.

1. Infant teachers should answer to the infants every cue because its not true that picking up or responding to your baby will spoil them.

2. Observing to better understand the child’s unique preferences and learning how sensitive a child is to touch or how they respond to new experiences. (Giliespie & Hunter 2011)

3. Being consist and responsive to the child are their cues wether positive or negative.(Giliespie & Hunter 2011)

4. Catering to a child’s individual needs and providing care in alignment to their temperament and individual needs or preferences. (Synder 2011)

5. Communicating with parents and sharing observation summary of their child and comparing with parents about behaviors and preferences child has at home. Which will help support who may be struggling to attach to their caregiver. (Synder 2011)

7. Choice #3: What should infant teachers do to create attachments with babies in their classrooms? Use information from the readings, video, and your insights to develop a list of what infant teachers can do. Cite the readings and video.

* Observing the baby helps understand how they behave, learn, and how they react in certain environments and situations.
    * Be consistent and responsive. With the babies cooing and being responsive it lets the baby know that you hear them and is responding to their needs. (Gillespie & Hunter 2011)
    * Make adjustments in the babies surroundings. Knowing if an infant is comfortable or uncomfortable with certain things, such as an infant being comfortable in your lap or not. (Snyder 2011)
    * Always have a happy environment (smiling or laughing).
    * Communicating and engaging eye contact with the infant, showing facial expressions. With communicating with an infant make sure to use a sooth and calming voice.
    * Providing the infant your full attention.
    * Comforting the infant when they are distress and crying.

8. Aliyah’s mother, Selena, tells you that 15-month-old Aliyah is more attached to you than she is to Selena herself.

How does that make you feel?
    I would feel good that the baby finds comfort in me.
    How do you think Selena is feeling?
    I believe Selena feels like she doesn’t feel important or isn’t being the best mom.
    How will you answer Selena?
    I would let Selena know it’s normal for the baby to create attachments with other caregivers. however I learned from the article Gillespie & Hunter (2011) that you can support the parent child attachment by asking questions about the child and parents bond and use affirmations so the parent can feel good.

9. Choice #2: Identifying Attachment Patterns

Video 1: In this video secure attachment is being showed. At the beginning the little girl does not really cry when the mother step out of the room. I thought this was another type of attachment instead. But, the little girl with the stranger does acknowledge that her parent is gone by saying “mama”. The stranger did provided some sort of comfort but instead the child was not crying upset or loudly. In the second part of the video when the child was completely alone for a few minutes child showed that discomfort crying like mentioned in Ainworth’s video. The stranger tries to comfort the child but the little girl is not having it. The stranger sits on a chair and the child is trying to “escape” and while she doing this she also turning her body to show how “uncomfortable” she is. When mom walks inside the room automatically her facial expression changed like mentioned in Ainworth’s video. The child makes a gesture of like reaching out her arms for a hug as she trying to climb onto mom’s lap.

Video 2:
    From the beginning of the video I noticed how the child was more “interested” in the background then playing with his mother. I knew that this was a Insecure-Avoident Attachment. The child was automatically drawn to the stranger in the room. When the parent was asked to leave the child did not make any reaction. According to Ainworth’s video these children are not responsive. In the video the child watches how his parent leaves the room and goes back to interacting with the stranger. While this is going the child did not make and noise or signal of like distress. When his mom returns the child’s body language remained the same. In the second part when he is left alone. The child begins to cry and once the stranger said “Hey whats wrong” and picked him up it only took seconds for him to stop crying. In Ainworth’s video it mentioned that child perfer their parent rather than the parent. Just like in the first video the little girl did not really “care” what the stranger was doing to try to comfort her and as soon as her mother came she automatically threw her hand up and mom carried her. After the stranger comforts him, mom walks back inside and he does not even turn his head to look at mom walking his direction. The child is more focused on the man in the background. Even with mom inside the room with him he made a reaction of like crying for the stranger when she was asked to step out again while mom is talking to him and trying to engage him with the toys.

1. Video 3: From the beginning of the video that the parent stepped out the child did not even noticed because the whole time the child was looking down playing with the toys. The parent did not really interact with the child in the sense of like talking and engaging. The stranger was in the room and the child did not make any attempts to play with the stranger or look around to see where their parent went. As mentioned in Ainworth’s video I think this could be Disorganized attachment. For disorganized attachment to me the child was definitely “freezing” in the sense that the child just sat down the whole entire video and had their head down. At least in Avoidant they see their parent and have some sort of “relief” but here in this video that child seems to show neither. In both videos when the children were left alone they began to cry but in this third video the child was left alone and they lifted up their and looked and no crying and continue to play and sit on the floor with the dolly on their lap. This behavior was shown throughout the whole video.

10. 1. How does that make you feel?
    If a parent, Selena, tells me that her 15-month-old baby Aliyah is more attached to me than herself, I would feel a good knowing that I’m doing something right with providing and meeting Aliyah’s need and knowing that in she trusts me. But I would also feel guilty because I know how Selena may feel.
    2. How do you think Selena is feeling?
    I think Selena wouldn’t feel too good about it. If I were to put myself in her shoes, I wouldn’t really be so content that my baby feels more safer or more cared for in someone else’s hands than my own.
    3. How will you answer Selena?
    I would reassure Selena that Aliyah loves her just as much and even more than me, and that her attachment is purely out of a survival instinct. I would also say it normal for Aliyah to had form this attachment with me as she sees me everyday and she knows that I’m always here to provide for her needs but that I am also here to support the mommy.

11. What should infant teachers do to create attachments with babies in their classrooms? Use information from the readings, video, and your insights to develop a list of what infant teachers can do. Cite the readings and video.

Infant teachers should understand baby cry and respond to it
    comfort them hold and talk to them
    communicate with parent about baby
    observe their action so you can know what toy they like to play with
    give infant full attention and support