Module 2 Relationship-Based Practices Assignment #2: Relationship Based Practices in Action

This assignment has 4 steps:

1. Read Christie (2018)      Christie (2018)
  2. Review this Power Point; I narrate the PowerPoint in this video
  3. Use Hypothesis (I explain how to use Hypothesis in this video) to identify 2 relationship-based practices in the italicized text below. Which relationship-based practice was demonstrated? How?

A five-month-old is lying on the floor with several toys scattered within reach. She is contentedly surveying the six other infants and toddlers who are in the room with her. Reaching now and then, she caresses a toy first with her eyes, then with her hands. As we look more closely, we can see that some suspicious moisture has crept onto the infant’s outer clothes in the area of her bottom. We are seeing a very contented but a very wet, young person. A step is heard, and the infant’s eyes travel in the direction of the sound. Then we see a pair of legs and feet traveling along in the direction of the infant. A voice says, “Deja, I’m wondering how you’re getting along.”

The legs move over close to the blanket, and the rest of the person appears. A kindly face comes close. Deja smiles and makes a cooing noise. The teacher responds, then notices the dampness of the clothing. “Oh, Deja, you need a change,” she says. Deja responds by smiling and cooing.

Reaching out her hands, the teacher says, “I’m going to pick you up now.” Deja responds to the gesture and words with an ever-so-slight body movement. She continues to smile and coo. The teacher picks her up. As they walk across the room, Deja reaches for a toy lying just out of reach on a shelf.

“I know you want that toy, but you have to wait a few minutes,” says the teacher with understanding. “First I am going to change your diaper,” she adds with gentle firmness. She lays Deja on the changing table.

Deja’s attention wanders around the room. The teacher talks to her, bringing her gaze back to her own face.

“Look, Deja, I’m taking off the wet diaper.” She shows her the diaper. Deja watches, but then starts to squirm, fussing a little.

“See where the diaper goes?” The teacher once again retrieves her attention by making a production of disposing of the wet diaper.

“Now the dry diaper, Deja … ” The caregiver shows her the fresh diaper. Deja reaches for it. “Yes, you can touch it,” responds the teacher.

“Lift up,” says the teacher, patting her bottom. Deja is distracted by a noise in another part of the room. The teacher waits. Then when she has her attention again, she repeats, “Lift up, please.” She raises Deja’s bottom as she says this and slips the dry diaper under.

“Suki, look–! fixed it!” says a young voice.

The teacher keeps her attention focused on Deja. “I can’t come right now, Jorge. I’m changing Deja. I’ll be with you when I’m finished.”

Deja has begun to squirm. She tries to roll over. “We’re almost finished now.” The teacher pats her, bringing her back to the task. “Look, I’m fastening it now.”

Deja squirms to look. “I like the way you’re paying attention.” The caregiver smiles.

Okay, that’s it; we’re finished. Want to come up now?” She reaches out for Deja.

Deja stretches out her arms, making bubbling noises at the same time. The teacher imitates her sounds. Both laugh. Then the teacher picks Deja up in her arms and gives her a hug.

1. Answer the questions below:
    1. Watch this video.  Identify 2 ways the teacher in the video uses relationship-based practices.  List examples that others have not mentioned!
    2. What can infant teachers do to form respectful, responsive and reciprocal relationships with infants? Describe specific practices and behaviors teachers should use with babies.  Identify at least 1 example from the Cheshire (2007) article, 1 example from the Christie (2018) article, and come up with other examples on your own.  Use examples that no one has shared yet!

Reply to 2 comments!

39 thoughts on “Module 2 Relationship-Based Practices Assignment #2: Relationship Based Practices in Action”

1. Answer the questions below:
    1. Watch this video. Identify 2 ways the teacher in the video uses relationship-based practices. List examples that others have not mentioned!
    2. What can infant teachers do to form respectful, responsive and reciprocal relationships with infants? Describe specific practices and behaviors teachers should use with babies. Identify at least 1 example from the Cheshire (2007) article, 1 example from the Christie (2018) article, and come up with other examples on your own. Use examples that no one has shared yet!

1. Answer: Offering choices, instead of the caregiver having all children play with the same toy she made her that each child had something different and engaged with each child that played with something different. Supporting rather then intervene, instead of the caregiver telling the children what to do . she had them make their own choices. she encouraged them to go walk to get toys , even when they fell she help them get up and say its okay.

2. Answer: Teachers can support by congratulating them when the child is doing good, acknowledgement on what the child is doing, making them feel important, understanding their needs and wants, good guidance, explain things clearly, most importantly making them feel like you are there for them and willing to support them through their development in different stages even if its good or bad. Also interact with them constantly, listening and being responsive as well as creating a safe, stimulating environment.

2. In the video the teacher offer choices to the children. Instead of the teacher giving toys for the children to play with, she lets the children choose what they want to play with and she supports their decisions by participating with them. As the teacher is interacting with the children, she is carefully, peacefully observing each child as they are playing and exploring through experience.

For teachers to form respectful, responsive and reciprocal relationships with infants, they should not force an infant to do anything. Infants should have the choice to make their own choices as they’re carefully being observed so they would not harm themselves or anyone around them. Infants need to experience different things to help with their growth and development.

1. Hey Grace. I agree with your answer for #2 you cant force children to do something that they don’t want to do because it won’t get done. They must be willing to want to do things by themselves and having choices as well.

2. Hi Grace, for number 2 you mentioned that when working with infants we shouldn’t force them to do anything. I agree with you because that it how us adults lose trust in people. As I wrote in my answer, no matter the age we should all respect each other because we are all humans at the end of the day.

3. 1. The teacher offered choices and communicated with each infant. The teacher made sure that the infants decided to pick what toys they want to use and offered them ideas with the toys that the infants picked up. With communicating, she spoke both english and Spanish to each infant to make sure that she engaged with them. The teacher accessed their needs while carefully observing them and giving them free will to decided what they wanted to do and where they wanted to go.

2. Teachers need to carefully and peacefully observe the infant. Instead of saying what would I want if i was them, but more on what would they want without including yourself. Seeing infants from their own perspective requires teachers to carefully observe the infant.

1. Hey Tamia ! do you have any experience with working with Infants ? Your responses give the impression that you do. I would like to hear about it throughout the semester. I do agree with your response to question 2, us teacher need to make sure we are observing carefully and peacefully to see the child in other light. Although, at time if staffing is low it can difficult.

4. 1:Identify 2 ways the teacher in the video uses relationship-based practices. List examples that others have not mentioned!
    The first example I identify is when he child ( Andrea) takes out the camera and shows her caregiver. The caregiver naturally gives her full attention to the child and pretends to be taking pictures of each other. The second example is at the beginning of video in the background. The caregiver is asking the child ” come on it is time for your diaper change. The child walks towards the changing room and gets a little distracted and the caregiver seem to get him back and when they get inside the room. The caregiver is having a conversation and you hear the caregiver saying ” come on you want to get up , come on lets get up and count “.

2:What can infant teachers do to form respectful, responsive and reciprocal relationships with infants? Describe specific practices and behaviors teachers should use with babies. Identify at least 1 example from the Cheshire (2007) article, 1 example from the Christie (2018) article, and come up with other examples on your own. Use examples that no one has shared yet!

I believe that Infant teachers need to understand that every child is different, with this being said when it comes to interacting with an infant you won’t receive a response right away. According to Christie (2018) it says “Invite infants to engage and then wait for their approval, asking again later if necessary” When a baby comes and smiles a baby want to play with you. If you response positively a bond will start to form and the child will know that you are a person who can meet their need without a problem. According to Cheshire (2007), it says ” Not only does a well-prepared teacher need to develop a relationship with each child , but the teacher must also form a relationship with the family”. Sometimes teachers think that you can have a relationship with the child and ignore the family, but you won’t have a get far as a teacher if you do not get along with the family where the child has a unconditional bond with. In my experience, I know how important a bond with the family is. When a child picks up that there is a sort of “unbalance” between you and their parent the child in my opinion looks at you differently and does not trust you and at times these bond building with the family can take a while. But, as a teacher my job is to remain the same with the parent and the child no matter what.

5. 1. Identify 2 ways the teacher in the video uses relationship-based practices. List examples that others have not mentioned!
    The teacher in the video used Reciprocity by using cues and signals to point out toys in the room. She also used it by sitting on the floor with the infants and spending time with them.

What can infant teachers do to form respectful, responsive and reciprocal relationships with infants? Describe specific practices and behaviors teachers should use with babies. Identify at least 1 example from the Cheshire (2007) article, 1 example from the Christie (2018) article, and come up with other examples on your own. Use examples that no one has shared yet!

teachers have some practices and behaviors they are required to use. Such as, ethics of care which is to care which is “a process of putting aside your own choices, preferences, and ideas to welcome another persons preferences.’

6. 1.Watch this video. Identify 2 ways the teacher in the video uses relationship-based practices. List examples that others have not mentioned!
    Ans: In the video the teacher offer choices and support rather than intervening. She give the babies options of which toys they want to play with instead of just giving each child a toy and she support the babies by playing with all of them and letting them discover the world around them.

2.What can infant teachers do to form respectful, responsive and reciprocal relationships with infants? Describe specific practices and behaviors teachers should use with babies. Identify at least 1 example from the Cheshire (2007) article, 1 example from the Christie (2018) article, and come up with other examples on your own. Use examples that no one has shared yet!
    Ans: Teacher should form respectful, responsive and reciprocal relationships with infants because every child is different and have different needs and wants. According to Christie (2018) article teachers should be “Inviting Children to Engage” and “Unhurried time” because children should have a choice of what they want to do and not be forced also with “unhurried time” it’s not right to rush a child when they are learning and exploring at their own pace this stimulates growth and their development

7. Identify 2 ways the teacher in the video uses relationship-based practices. List examples that others have not mentioned!
    The teacher in the video used reciprocity . She spent time with the infants and engaged in play time. She offered them different cameras so that they are engaged and also learning how to use the toy. The infants were also able to communicate without using words, and the teacher responded in a way they can understand.

Infant teachers can use a language to show respect, in the article Chesire it explained how important it is to show a child respect like you would want respect as an adult. Infant teachers can also spend time with the babies to learn their dislikes and likes to carefully attend to them.
    In the article Christie it showed ways to engage a child in a appropriate manner. For example, letting children be their own, let them express themselves without intervening. Supporting children is the key to helping a child grow into their own.

1. Hey Cindy, I agree that spending time with a child could help teachers when working with infants because it is the best way to learn from each individual child. This is what would help teachers gain insights of the babies in their class in which could benefit them when it comes to dealing with difficult kids. Learning their likes and dislikes is very important in order for a teacher to be successful and in order for a student to be successful as well.

1. Eunice — Thanks for your reply! You expanded the conversation by building on Cindy’s comment with additional insights! Observing and getting to know each individual baby is an important element of the work infant teachers do!

2. Hi Cindy,
      I do agree with you saying you should not intervene with children expressing themselves just like Lacoya had said. In fact, I’m reading this book called Theories of Childhood in my other class, and one of the theorists her name is Maria Montessori and she believe to not interrupt children from doing any activities unless it is really important to just let learn on their own be independent.

1. Janate — Thanks for your reply! You extended the dialogue by adding Montessori’s ideas into this discussion! I wonder, are there any times that you should interrupt children’s play? What would those times be?

8. Watch this video. Identify 2 ways the teacher in the video uses relationship-based practices. List examples that others have not mentioned!
    1. The teacher used her imagination to stop the baby in the blue shirt from putting the dog toy in her mouth, she proceeded to kiss the dog and pet the dog toy as if it was a real pet. Another way she used imagination was when she used the toy camera an acted like she was going to take a picture of the baby.
    2.Infant teachers can give the infant attention while the infant is asking for it, that shows the infant that you care and love to play with them. In the article Cheshire 2007 saids “As we look more closely, we can see that some suspicious moisture has crept onto the infant’s outer clothes in the area of her bottom. We are seeing a very contented but a very wet, young person” shows she was paying close attention to Deja and realized her diaper needed to change, and she proceeded to changing Deja diaper but Deja wouldn’t stay still because she was looking else where, so the teacher said “I know you want that toy, but you have to wait a few minutes,” says the teacher with understanding. “First I am going to change your diaper,” she adds with gentle firmness. She lays Deja on the changing table.
    In the article Christie she states that children shouldn’t be rushes while exploring and learning new things you should use unhurried time.
    There are so many ways to work with a child for example forming a group and placing toys in the middle of the group of children and watched explore different items, colors, puzzles.

9. 1) Watch this video. Identify 2 ways the teacher in the video uses relationship-based practices. List examples that others have not mentioned!
    After closely observing the infants in this video I noticed that the teachers work really close with kids to build a trustful and caring relationship. The smiles on the babies faces is proof that the teachers provide them with love. They look very happy and comfortable. Another thing I noticed is the teacher used different language while communicating with the children. There is a culture ethic being used here most likely because there is a child that is spanish. I also noticed some sign language.

2) What can infant teachers do to form respectful, responsive and reciprocal relationships with infants? Describe specific practices and behaviors teachers should use with babies. Identify at least 1 example from the Cheshire (2007) article, 1 example from the Christie (2018) article, and come up with other examples on your own. Use examples that no one has shared yet!
    Respect is one of the specific things that teachers should use with babies. Kids respond well and it is actually good for their development when they are respected. In this article The Heart of Serving Infants and Toddlers by Toni Christie mentions that respecting kids is the root to good behavior. Respecting infants and informing them of what you are doing with them will build a relationship between the teacher and the baby with trust and care. Christie mentions, “Deja stretches out her arms, making bubbling noises at the same time. The teacher imitates her sounds. Both laugh. Then the teacher picks Deja up in her arms and gives her a hug”. (Christie, 1). This phrase shows how valuable respect is. As Cheshire explains, “when children are treated with respect, they are treated as humans beings, not objects”. (Cheshire,1). She also mentions when children get the same respect adults do, it provides a positive learning experience. From my own experience, being a mother I have learned that this is true. Over the years while raising my son I would realize that when I spoke to him in a harsh way he would give me a harder time and as he got older his behavior got worse. I thought being tough with him would help me with helping him become responsible. When he started elementary school and he came across some tough teachers that’s when I realized respect goes both ways no matter the age. I changed the way I was. I started comforting him whenever he was struggling instead of being tough and I saw a drastic change in his behavior. I had to explain to his teachers he doesn’t respond well go being yelled at.

10. 1. Two way the teacher in the video uses relationship-base practices is through body language, she makes eye contact, uses a warm tone of voice and smiles. She give the children the same amount of attention and share the same interest with the toys that they are playing with.
    2. To form respectful, responsive and reciprocal relationships teachers can put themselves in the child shoes. Tell the child what is being done before doing it, include the child activities when can that concerns them. Learn the child verbal and nonverbal ques and respond to those ques to ensure all their needs are met.

1. Hi Shemella,
      I do agree with you response for #2. I believe teachers should put their feet in childs shoes just to see how they would feel about certain things. The best thing a caregiver/teacher should do is see what makes their student comfortable, know their weakness and strengths, know what they like and dislike. I know if i was a parent thats what i would want for my child.

1. Janate — Thanks for your reply! You expanded on Mel’s comment by adding your insights! I wonder, how would a teacher see what makes the baby comfortable, know their strengths and weaknesses, their likes and dislikes?

11. 1) Giving children the opportunity to make their own choices to make them feel seen and undertood, instead of having the teacher give the children the same toy or telling what to do instead she had the children engaged into different activites for the children to find their own interest.
    2) Forming respectul relationships with children can make a big difference when children feel like they can trust their teacher because they have a respectful and trustfull relationship. when a child struggles they will feel secure to ask for help without feeling ashame. And that will expand their learning because their teacher makes it okay a safe environment when it comes to learning.

12. 1. Two ways that the teacher in the video uses relationship-based practices are using a warm tone of voice and individualized contact with each baby by offering each child their own toy and referring to them by their name.
    2. What infant teachers can do to form respectful, responsive, and reciprocal relationships with infants is supporting and being available instead of intervening when its not necessary( Christie 2018). Which demonstrates respect to the child’s confidence and competence.