Keep in mind our Online Discussion Guidelines:
https://openlab.bmcc.cuny.edu/pol-100-introduction-to-american-government-artinian/online-discussion-guidelines/

Instructions for completing this discussion board assignment:

a) Identify which discussion question you are answering in your comment by placing the relevant number at the start of your answer. For example:

2. Crime has often been used as a form of social control by…

4. Michelle Alexander’s argument about segregation…

b) Respond to two other students’ comments.

Respond to the following questions in the “Comment” box below:

1. Which statistic on wealth inequality in the US (discussed on p. 29) made the biggest impression on you? Explain why?
  2. What could be some of the implications of living in a society that has such huge wealth inequalities? Do you see this dynamic getting played out in everyday life in our society? How so? Example?

32 thoughts on “Discussion Board 5.3

1. 1. What made the biggest impression on me from the statistics in pg 29 is when it stated “Top 1 percent owns 40 and 50 percent of the nations wealth.” This amazed me that out of all the human beings in the nation only 1 percent own half of the nations wealth, there is still a 99 percent of the nations population that has to share probably don’t even get any of the other 50 percent of wealth. What also made an impression was when the author stated “the poor usually stays poor no matter how much they toil.” This also made an impression because it then goes to say that its less mobility to move up now then it was generation ago, and I agree with this so much even with a higher education and so much experience if you was born in a bad community and not a good enough school degree from a great college you will remain poor.

2.Some of the implications of living in a society that has such wealth inequality is marganalised wages, this means working class would continue making unlivable wages and the wealthy would continue to make a surplus amount . Another implication would be low education, this means the working class would have a lower chance at a good education then those in a wealthy class. I this getting played out in our everyday society now, for example the majority of the working class makes less then 95 thousand dollars compared to celebrity’s and social elites that make millions of dollars yearly.

2. 1. What made the biggest impression on me from the statistics in pg 29 is when it stated “Top 1 percent owns 40 and 50 percent of the nations wealth.” This amazed me that out of all the human beings in the nation only 1 percent own half of the nations wealth, there is still a 99 percent of the nations population that has to share probably don’t even get any of the other 50 percent of wealth. What also made an impression was when the author stated “the poor usually stays poor no matter how much they toil.” This also made an impression because it then goes to say that its less mobility to move up now then it was generation ago, and I agree with this so much even with a higher education and so much experience if you was born in a bad community and not a good enough school degree from a great college you will remain poor.

3. 1. What caught my attention was how they are making so much money but only paying workers less in wages when they are the ones making the business run efficiently. This is interesting to me because with this system it is almost impossible to move up on the class system because workers are given less than they deserve which makes living more difficult.
    2. Living in a society with large inequalities means you will remain at the same level and affording basic necessities becomes more of a challenge. In this case the wealthy in this society will use you to produce higher values from the production to gain wealth while the workers remain poor. An example is in the NYC neighborhoods. There is so much division going on that it is not uncommon to live close to a more disadvantaged part of the city. In our everyday lives we can see how different everyone’s situation is here, one can be losing wealth slowly while the other is gaining wealth rapidly because of the pay inequalities.

1. Very important observation: many Americans think that it is relatively easy to move up the social class structure, but as you say, our readings show that it is actually pretty difficulty (even if someone wanted to leave their social class position). And, the M-C-M’ formula shows that “working hard” is not, unfortunately, enough for someone to leave a position of economic precariousness – there are structural barriers in the way, like having no wealth, etc.

4. Which statistic on wealth inequality in the US (discussed on p. 29) made the biggest impression on you? Explain why?

One of the statistics on wealth inequality that made the biggest impression on me was when in the reading it states that “the corporations are often called “produces”, this is often not true. The real producers are those who apply their brawn, brains, and talents to the creation of goods and services.” Without the labor, capital would of never existed. This explains that capital are often getting wealthier and also getting the credit while labor is not.

What could be some of the implications of living in a society that has such huge wealth inequalities? Do you see this dynamic getting played out in everyday life in our society? How so? Example?

Some of the implications of living in a society that has such huge wealth inequalities is that while the capitalists’ gain wealth, the working class loses wealth by not paying them what they deserve. The more they gain labor, the more they become wealthier. In the meantime working class is unfairly getting paid poorly and doing most of the hard work.

1. Hey I so agree with your statement about capitalists gain wealth while working classs loses wealth. We see this in our everyday life that people do not make what they deserve, especially living somewhere like NYC where everything is expensive.

2. Indeed! Great point, it is often forgotten who the “producers’ are in our economy. I mean, yes, a few wealthy business people might pool their capital and create the Starbucks chain, but it is actually the Starbucks workers who, with their labor, actually create the products, that encrich the owners of Starbucks Inc….

5. 1) What cause my attention was they stated “If you’re not rich it is because you lack the foresight to pick the right parents at birth.” This caught my attention because the fact you have to be born into wealth to make it somewhere in life is ridiculous. I believe as long as you work towards what you believe in, your time will come. Also they stated “Studies show that, despite the well-publicized cases of “selfmade” fortunes, rags-to-riches is a relatively rare exception.” For example, tyler perry was born with nothing and is now a billionarie. I do not believe rag to riches is rare because most of our celebrities these days are born with nothing and made it to something.

2)One implication of living in a wealthy society is that most of these wealthy people and jobs do not pay you enough. I also believe it will keep the working class at the same platform and they will not move up. We see this everyday where working class are not being paid enough but working alot of labor, while the capitalists just sits down and make money.

1. Great points: rags to riches is indeed a myth, and even if it happens to a few people here and there, for the average American, it doesn’t happen.

Workers not getting paid enough is the source of the boss’ profits and wealth. This is such a fundamental idea, that most Americans still think it is ok (“because the boss owns the business, or the worker can quit if they don’t like it”), or they just don’t know about it…

6. 1) The statement that stood out to me most from the reading on page 29 is the following that states, “capitalists like to say they are putting their money to work.” It has shocked me enough to not want to believe this is true. Being that I know how hard it is to make a living, it almost seems like a joke or a disrespectful manner for such pitifulness to be shown towards hours of labor individuals will struggle to do every day. No matter how tired one may be, this effort is required to survive. Yet, what is gained is the bare minimum. From the passage a quote was also provided from Abraham Lincoln, “Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.” Thus, capitalists should lower their egos, and realize that without workers, without being forced to accept their ordeal, their money is nothing.

2) Some of the implications that follow in living in a society that has such tremendous wealth inequalities, is how obvious it is that there is no care for the lower or working class. In the example of living in New York City, the rent is extremely overbearing, yet continues to provide minimal and inadequate living standards. Following this, minimum wage is also currently 15 dollars. To a child the idea of 15 an hour sounds glorious. However, for a grown adult it’s terror. Restless hours are put day to day and what there is to gain from a 10 hour shift is 150 dollars, before taxes. Whereas rent for a small and beat up apartment will start at 1,800. While many remain poor and tired, the working hours are truly only benefiting capitalists, and that in itself is a problem that needs to be changed for us to gain room to improve as well.

1. Love the part about “capitalists need to lower their egos” and realize that the workers are the actual source of their wealth! So true, but I’m guessing they won’t do that, because they’ve got the power and wealth – and unless the workers find ways to force them to lower their egos, it’ll be hard…

7. 1.Which statistic on wealth inequality in the US (discussed on p. 29) made the biggest impression on you? Explain why?

The statistic on wealth inequality on the U.S discussed on page 29 was that capitalist said that they need to put their money to work. This mad me sad because it is sad that they refer to their employees as money like they are their working machines.What makes me feel sad is that many of these companies don’t really can about their workers on their flyers they make it seem like they care about their employees but only care about the money that they make. The employees only get paid so little of what they worked for. What I think here is that pay is decreasing while the cost of living is increasing.

2.What could be some of the implications of living in a society that has such huge wealth inequalities? Do you see this dynamic getting played out in everyday life in our society? How so? Example?
    Some implications of living in a society that has huge wealth inequalities are that they don’t care for employees these companies on their social media accounts make it seem like they care for their employees when they really don’t. Yes I see this dynamic being played out everyday in New York where the amount of rent is increasing by the day while pay isn’t increasing. Everything around us is also increasing.

1. Yup, I wonder about that as well, how high will the rent go, before people stop paying in the millions, because they simply can’t? And what happens to the landlords then?

8. 1. The statistic on wealth inequality that made the biggest impression on me was when it said “capitalist like to say they are putting their money to work”, meanwhile they are just using their money to put human labor to work paying workers less I wages than what they produce in sells.

2. A implication of living in a wealthy society is that there wouldn’t be an equal amount of work ethic. This dynamic gets played out everyday because companies and bosses are just laying around waiting for employees to get everything done while they just sit around.

1. Hi Krisnelly, I like you analogies on both questions. While inequalities still pose a big threat to our country, it does not seem big enough to grasp the attention of the upper class. While they splurge in their expensive cars and extravagant shopping I think they need to acknowledge that we the “low and the middle class” are the once who helped them acquire and sustain their lifestyle.

9. 1. The statistic on wealth imbalance that established the greatest connection with me was the point at which it said “industrialist like to state they are giving their cash something to do”, in the interim they are simply utilizing their cash to give human work something to do paying specialists less I compensation than what they produce in sells.

2. A portion of the ramifications of living in a general public that has such wealth imbalance is marginalised compensation, this implies the middle class would keep making unacceptable wages and the affluent would keep on making an excess sum . Another ramifications would be low training, this implies the middle class would have a lower chance at decent instruction then those in an affluent class.There is so much division going on that it isn’t unprecedented to live near a more distraught aspect of the city. In our regular day to day existence we can perceive how unique everybody’s circumstance is here, one can be losing riches gradually while the other is picking up riches quickly due to the compensation imbalances.

1. Hi Aniyah, I enjoyed reading your insight on both questions that were presented. It’s good to get other people’s opinions. Overall their is a huge imbalance our country. And while the poor are struggling to make ends meet the rich are profiting on them or should I say us and they do not seem to care. It’s all about “surplus value” for them.

2. And what would this lead to, this social division that is getting more and more obvious and wide. Some have said that the current political instability in the US is directly an expression of such deepening divisions!

10. Question 1:
    Which statistic on wealth inequality in the US (discussed on p. 29) made the biggest impression on you? Explain why?

Question 2:

Answer 1:
    The statistic on wealth inequality in the U.S. (discussed on p. 29) that made the biggest impression on me was when “capitalists said they are putting their money to work.” Capitalists see their money as a tool that can help them acquire more money its like M-C-M. They have found ways to manipulate the system to sustain more wealth by exploiting working-class people and under paying them for their labor. While this is consider “surplus value” to them it is considered exploitation on working-class people since they or should I say are not being paid our fair share for the labor that’s invested into the job.

Answer 2:
    One of the implications of living in a society that has such a huge wealth inequalities is the health care system. While the major cooperation literally “feed” on the middle and low income families to sustain the companies. Their is a huge disparity in the health care system. Low and middle-class Americams have little to insurance and typically the ones who feeling the repercussion because they have the worst health care. As opposed the wealthy class people this is the total opposite. Health care cost have and has been affecting majority of Americans, and no one (wealth class) seems to care while the cost just keeps rising.

1. Yes, especially it seems during COVID-19! Wealthy people simply get better health care, and the working class has to settle with care that is often substandard and low on resources! And, no one in power seems to be interested in changing this dynamic!

11. 1. The statistic of wealth inequality in the united states that made a huge impression on page 29 is ” The top 1 percent owned between 40-50 percent of the nation’s wealth. Such as stocks, bonds, Investments and lands. Also natural resources and business assets. This made a huge impression because only 1 percent of the nation has owned 1 percent of the wealth in the nation while 99 percent of the human population has to share but will not get 50 percent of the wealth.

2. of so many implications living in a society that has a huge wealth inequalities but there is always a way of getting played out. I can honestly say is for those that are in the low working class and I can say maybe the middle too. why? because in so many ways the employees will get played out by there job overall by changing his or her days, hours and shifts that could affect there pay and not to mention facing tuff challenges such living finances like rent and other expenses. then trying to adapt from all of it makes it more hard as well

12. Some things really struck out to me being how wealth is distributed in the US.From the statistic on page 29 it states,”Top 1 percent owns 40 and 50 percent of the nation’s wealth” This is so crazy to me because only that 1 perent but what about that 99percent that don’t get paid unfairly for the jobs they do.Another thing that caught my attention was the fact that how these business make money but still want to pay their workers less i have a example working in retail because of corona stores were closed so they lost out on so much money because :online” shopping just wasn’t enough so when stores opened back up they gave their workers bad hours because they haven’t made any money for 8 monthsso when they start to see profit again then they will give their workers more hours which makes no sense because our labour is what runs the business technically.
    Some Of the implications of living in a society that has such a huge wealth inequality is the fact that the working class still has to work so much harder to pay bills when these rich people have money but want more such as the surplus amount they want to see to be satisfied yet the workers have to work extra hard for them to see this surplus amount . I see it happening in retail stores for sure these people want their money made back since they lost it and it will never be fair.

13. 1.Which statistic on wealth inequality in the US (discussed on p. 29) made the biggest impression on you? Explain why?

The statistic on wealth inequality in the US that has made the biggest impression on me is that “In the eight years from 2001 to 2008, the wealth of the richest 400 Americans had increased by nearly $700 billion for a total of $1.6 trillion, more than the bottom 50 percent (150 million people) combined” (Parenti 31). That made an impression on me because it represents everything that is wrong with capitalism, and I also believe that having such huge amounts of wealth is a threat to democracy. As noted, the treasury department says that the super-rich in that group always find both legal and illegal means to hide most of their income from taxes. The fact that most of their wealth is sheltered from taxes is an indication of how having that wealth is a threat to democracy, especially when they act like they are above the law.

Living in a society with such great wealth inequalities means that prices will be easily manipulated. That is because big monopoly firms that are responsible usually raise prices to compensate for their decline. As such, the cost of living goes higher, but wages remain the same. Consequently, the average worker who makes up most of society gets poorer and poorer, thus widening the gap between the rich and poor further. The dynamic is played out in everyday life in a society based on how American citizens increasingly have debts. Their wages have not risen enough to meet ever-rising inflation. Therefore, they have to borrow to achieve basic things such as education. For example, students in public universities have to borrow heavily to fund their education. “In the end, more than 65 percent of college students leave school heavily in debt” When they miss on payments after school, the loan is compounded, and they end up owning three to four times the original amount borrowed.