Course: ENG 101 English Composition-0911 Spring 2024 TuTh 9AM with Prof. Barnes M309

active 4 days, 3 hours ago
ENG 101 English Composition-0911 Spring 2024 TuTh 9AM with Prof. Barnes M309
This Course is OPEN.
Departments
Academic Literacy and Linguistics, English
Course Contact
Course Code
ENG 101
Section Code
0911
Term
Spring 2024
Course Description

English Composition is the standard freshman writing course. The course introduces students to academic writing. By its conclusion, students will be ready for English 201 and for the writing they will be asked to do in advanced courses across the curriculum. Students completing ENG 101 will have mastered the fundamentals of college-level reading and writing, including developing a thesis-driven response to the writing of others and following the basic conventions of citation and documentation. They will have practiced what Mike Rose calls the “habits of mind” necessary for success in college and in the larger world: summarizing, classifying, comparing, contrasting, and analyzing. Students will be introduced to basic research methods and MLA documentation and complete a research project. Students are required to take a departmental final exam that requires the composition of a 500 word, thesis-driven essay in conversation with two designated texts.

Recent Posts

ENG 101 Student Experience

Can you take this survey to help us, ENG 101 professors, learn more about you? See MoreENG 101 Student Experience

Janaina Macagnan de Souza

Prompt #1: Write a paragraph explaining what feminism means to you. Do you consider yourself a […] See MoreJanaina Macagnan de Souza

Comment on: Sample argument essay 4/4

I would grade this essay an 80 because it doesn't offer much of a compelling thesis statement, […] See MoreComment on: Sample argument essay 4/4

Comment on: Sample argument essay 4/4

I'd give this essay an 86 because the introduction is well written and each paragraph has a […] See MoreComment on: Sample argument essay 4/4

Recent Discussions

Introduction

Hey everyone, My Name is Amina. I'm from Pakistan. This is my 2nd semester in bmcc. After 2 years at bmcc, I'm planning to transfer to NYU to get my bachelor's degree. My major is computer science. I'm passionate about technology and problem See MoreIntroduction

Introduction

<span style="font-weight: 400;">Hi everyone! My name is Ahmed, and I'm on a twenty-year exciting journey. Originally from the beautiful city of Sylhet in the South, I now call Queens, New York, my home. I'm studying Business Administration and See MoreIntroduction

Introduction

Heyy Ya'll, My name is Mazida. I'm 20 years old. I wasn't born here but I was raised in Brooklyn, and this is my 2nd semester in BMCC. I'm majoring in early childhood education. I love children and my goal is to become a preschool teacher. I'm See MoreIntroduction

Recent Docs

No Recent Docs