Who are Families? Activity #1: Exploring Families

Pick 1 reading:

Watch Our Family: A Film About Family Diversity (2016)

Citing extensively from both the videos and the reading (I explain how to cite in posts in this video) answer the questions below:

RESPOND

1. How are the strategies you identified in Module 1 working? What is going well? What may need to be changed? What have you learned about yourself as a student in an online class?
    2. How do you define family?
    3. Which article did you chose? Why?
    4. What are the strengths of the families you read about and saw in the videos? How specifically did the families demonstrate those strengths? Give evidence to support your answer.
    5. What challenges do the families you read and saw in the videos face? Give evidence to support your answer.
    6. Which model of programming from Baker & Manfretti/ Petit, 2004 in Module 2 are the program staff using to work with families?  Give specific evidence to support your response.

REPLY

Identify a colleague who read a different article than you did. In your response, explain how the strengths of the families you read about and your colleague read about are similar and how they are different. How are the challenges the families face similar and different?

9 thoughts on “Who are Families? Activity #1: Exploring Families”

The strategies for managing time in module 1 for the moment aren’t working. I have to admit that I leave assignments to the last minute. Although I am a procrastinator I did buy the materials that I said I would. I bought myself a desk with drawers to motivate me and be more organized, also I have put up an easel with a calendar to remind me of important due dates. I have also learned that me as a online student everything is much more easier than a student in campus. I don’t have to rush from work to campus and campus to home to start or finish assignments. I could just go home and everything is at my own reach. I just really need to let go of my procrastination and be more focused.
    How do you define family?
    I define family as a group of people that share time and events together. It doesn’t matter the consistency but the memories shared.
    Which article did you chose? Why?
    I chose Two Homes, One Classroom
    Inclusive Practices That Work
    Katia González, 2017. I honestly chose this article because it does identify me, coming from a separate house hold. Living with only my mother, and because it involved less reading and more directed on what to do to make both house holds welcomed.
    What are the strengths of the families you read about and saw in the videos? How specifically did the families demonstrate those strengths?

Respecting is a strength that Gonzalez relates to a good relationship between family and teachers. Respecting the roles of family members from each home, learning about family dynamics that may impact effective school (Gonzalez , 2017). Involvement in school also plays a big part of the straights between families. Watch our Family: A Film about Family Diversity (2016) explores a classroom that invites families on Fridays to be with their child in school. Parents giving positive feedback of their child and giving a sense of who they are. Coming to a place to be open and comfortable sharing a space.

What challenges do the families you read and saw in the videos face?
    Separation was a challenge family face in
    Two Homes, One Classroom Inclusive Practices That Work, Katia González (2017). Families were worried that both might not get the same feedback of the teacher regarding their child.
    Which model of programming from Baker & Manfretti/ Petit, 2004 in Module 2 are the program staff using to work with families? Give specific evidence to support your response.
    Family model, a relationship-based program that values and celebrates close and caring relationships amongst adults was observed in the Head Start National Resource Center. Building relationships for directors is a priority when using a family model. Creating bonds with families asking questions to the parents to better understand the child. Relationships are the foundation in the pathway for children to grow and develop (Tammy Mann).

1. Yasmine — Thanks for your comment in this activity. It sounds like you created a nice work space in your home! I wonder, why do you think you procrastinate and what can you do to procrastinate less? Relationships between families & school staff are important. I wonder, how does the Gonzalez (2017) reading & video connect to the Baker & Manfreddi/ Pettit (2017) reading from Module 2? Knowing that families are worried that they will not get the same info, I wonder, what can you do as an infant teacher working with families from different homes?

2. 1. How are the strategies you identified in Module 1 working? What is going well? What may need to be changed? What have you learned about yourself as a student in an online class? The strategy I identified in Module 1 isn’t full working just yet. As I stated before I am a big procrastinator and I will leave things for the very last minute and then I’m stuck having panic attacks because I’m trying to get an assignment done on the actual due date. One thing I will say is that I have created a plan and set alarms in my phone but for some reason I still choose to ignore them and here I am completing my assignment on the due date. I see you’ve asked about what we learned about ourselves as a student in an online class and I would say it’s so much easier then having to wake up and make a long travel to school or the fact that all the assignments and due dates are posted right on the open lab site that accessible for everyone to see.
    2. How do you define family? #2 My definition of a family goes beyond the basic needs of providing shelter, an education, and valuable food resources; what makes a family is having a level of understanding and keeping an open channel of communication for each member, there may be times during duress and complication that there may be a level of disconnect and lack of empathy between family members but having a level of language to still communicate in a healthy way, seeing the other person’s point of view without biased, but with a listening ear can be even more than providing the quintennial aspects of basic necessity, because emotional and mental health of every family member is, a basic necessity.
    3. Which article did you chose? Why? #3 The Fox (2012) article.I chose it because it was an interesting read that focused on how families with adopted children, and children who have been in the foster care system are just as important, when it comes to traditional family dynamics. Understanding the needs of these children who are already growing up in the foster care system, who have been left behind in some way, dealing with forms of abuse, and may already have already felt abandoned and look over in a system that was originally designed to protect them, and has somehow left them. These children’s greatest accomplishment is leaving the system, and finding their forever home through adoption, and to find a family, and have a sense of normalcy, after being placed in a system and situation that is anything but, normal. The lengths of reassurance that Marco’s forever family takes in order to make sure he’s comfortable, during a time that is an impactful and transitional time for him.
    4. What are the strengths of the families you read about and saw in the videos? How specifically did the families demonstrate those strengths? The strengths that the families in the video and the article l read about, were that each family while different in some way from another, all the caregivers or their parental figures wanted, was for their child or children to flourish and grow in a safe environment. They wanted their child or children to have the space and time to find out who they are and where they belong without judgment or discrimination towards their character or the functionality of their family dynamic.
    5. What challenges do the families you read and saw in the videos face?The challenges they face acceptance in family dynamic by their community. Given the fact that there are multiple type of family dynamics, parents who come from different backgrounds who aren’t traditional. (Families with a mother and father.) There is a lot of stigma against families who are diverse. Families who come from different ethics backgrounds, families who just have a singular parent household, families who have a caregiver or parental guardian who isn’t the mother or father , families who have interracial caregivers, and lastly families who have same parental dynamics. The challenges the families face in the reading are similar to those that the families faced in the video such as stigma and isolation that comes along with different family dynamics.

6. Which model of programming from Baker & Manfretti/ Petit, 2004 in Module 2 are the program staff using to work with families? Give specific evidence to support your response. The model of programming from Baker & Manfretti/Petit 2004 in module 2 the program staff is using to work with families is the Family Model because they want to keep a safe and appropriate family dynamic throughout the entirety of their program, they want their families and their children to be as close knit as possible while actively involving the parents in every step of their child’s development.

1. Nakia — Thanks for your comment in this activity. Setting alarms help you to know you have things due/ coming up; I set alarms all the time. I wonder, why do you think you procrastinate? You offer a thoughtful definition of family, based on communication, understanding & the well-being of all members. All families want their children to be happy, healthy, and successful. In addition to acceptance, children who are adopted sometimes struggle with attachment issues, which we will focus on in Module 4 for ECE 209-Lecture.

2. Hi Nakai, thanks for sharing your response, really interesting.
      One of the strengths that we have in similar is that families who have background and parents that are struggling being single. One different is about the children to find who they are and stuff.
      For the families that are facing challenges we pretty much have the same ideas.

3. 1. The strategies that I identified in Module 1 aren’t working, as of yet!! BUT, I am determined to get on track and set a good schedule for myself so I can complete my assignments on time. Often times, when we are behind and rushing to catch up, we aren’t really soaking up any information or learning anything. What is working well for me is going at my own pace, because I feel like I am learning and taking my time without being in a rush. I am going to start working on the Module at the beginning of the week and slowly work on it throughout the week. I think it helped that we spoke about the work load and some changes were made to the class, so that may help me a bit more. I learned that I am very much a procrastinator, but I also like to work at my own pace instead of having a deadline. I think it’s easier to turn in work as I go through out the class.

2. To me, family is not always blood. It can be through adoption, marriage, or just residing together and becoming close in relationship. Family helps each other, cares for each other, and loves each other unconditionally. Family can also be your friends, as well, who can be like your sibling. Family is there for you when no one else is and they support you no matter what. They want what’s best for you and will always be honest with you.

3. I chose the article about children who live in two houses because growing up, my parents were never together and it was very hard for me. I wish I would’ve had an environment that was like a home away from my two chaotic homes, but unfortunately, I did not. I believe it is important to make a healthy classroom for children to know it’s okay that their parents are separated because it’s more common than uncommon. Children just need a place where they feel safe and cared for.

4. The strengths of the families in the video is that they are all listing something that love about their family members. They are describing them with the nicest adjectives and encouraging them to continue being themselves. They love being parents and the kids love their parents. They teach their kids that sometimes families look different, parents can have two moms and two dads etc.

5. In the reading, the parents weren’t together and this is a challenge within the family. This can be very hard for the child some times, especially when they see other children with two children. That’s why it’s important for teachers to create a comfortable and safe space for these children. In the reading, the parents may feel like they are missing out on what is going on in the classroom of their child.

1. Madison — Thanks for your comment in this module. I appreciate your optimism! Being able to work at your own pace is important. Unconditional love is an important part of family — and is a strength of families. Thanks for sharing your personal experience. Sometimes the classroom is the stable place for a child when they move between 2 homes/ families. As an infant teacher, I wonder, what can you do to support children who live with 2 families when 1/both families feel left out?

4. 1. How are the strategies you identified in Module 1 working? What is going well? What may need to be changed? What have you learned about yourself as a student in an online class?
    The strategies that I identified in module 1 is not quit going well, because of all the assignments and how my classes are organized, everything is kind of driving me nuts. One thing that need to be change will be for the teachers to be more involved and comprehensive so that the students can be more understanding and keep on doing great job. What I learned about myself as a student during online class is that I can’t deal with a lot of stress and pressure,and also I learned how to be patient and also be independent of doing or checking my assignments by myself.
    2. How do you define family?
    Family is people that we care about, people that we love, people that we shared memories with and sometimes lived with.
    3.Which article did you chose? Why?
    I choose Jordan and Lee 2014. I chose it bevy it’s about family engagement, strategy that they are creating to make the parents involved in their children education and also help them keep their boundaries. I choose it also because it’s really important to keep parents be engaging and involving in their children’s education, that will help them see how they improve, how they learn, what they like to do. Also having the parents encourage children to be more active and participating better. Also it’s help others parents to form a parenting group where they can shared ideas and helps others that are struggling.
    4.What are the strengths of the families you read about and saw in the videos? How specifically did the families demonstrate those strengths? Give evidence to support your answer.
    The strengths that I can see that the family are showing a support toward their children also encouraging their children to be familiar with others no matter who they are, colors, race, background they all been supportive. Also the strengths that we can see is happiness they want them kids to growth , explore, watching them be happy in a safe environment.
    Challenges that some families are facing is worried. Worried about how their children might see them or see other children’s parents. Families background dynamic and stuff.
    6.Which model of programming from Baker & Manfretti/ Petit, 2004 in Module 2 are the program staff using to work with families? Give specific evidence to support your response.
    The Model of programming from Baker & Manfretti / Petit, 2004 in module 2 that staff is using to work with families is Family Model and Best practices for working with families who have infants is being sensitive, understanding , creating activities,be welcoming. Provide safe place, always checking on them ,communicating with them, learn their behaviors, support them socially and emotionally.

1. Ruth — Thanks for your comment in this activity. I am sorry your I wonder, what do you mean that professors should “be more involved and comprehensive so that the students can be more understanding and keep on doing great job” (Laguerre, 2021)? Can you be more specific? I want to support your success, and I would love your feedback about how I can be more understanding to support you. The Jor’dan & Lee (2014) article is fascinating; thinking about the specific families in the article, I wonder what their worries might be? I wonder, what other specific practices did the staff use that indicate they use the Family Model?