Module 7 Site Visit Assignment #2 (10/19-10/26)

Assignment #2: Reflecting on Your Site Visit

Reflect on and answer the questions below:

1. Which age group did you observe?
  2. What struck you from the video? Why?
  3. What did you learn being a teacher with the age group you observed?
  4. Can you picture yourself working in the classroom? Why?

Reply to 2 comments, 1 from each age group that you did NOT visit (if you visited the infant-toddler class, reply to 1 comment from a person who visited a preschool class and 1 from a person who visited a young school age class.

62 thoughts on “Module 7 Site Visit Assignment #2 (10/19-10/26)

1. brianacrespin712

Conduct a virtual site visit
    Reflect on your virtual site visit
    Identify your career goals and how you will achieve those goals

I visisted my aunts babysitting website and it shows her advertising her business. It had good ratings and the children seemed to love her and it was a recomended website.

Visiting the website taught me what people look for in websites especially ones working with children. When visiting certain websites you must make sure that they are legit that way its safe for the chikdren. If its a website for a school or a day care you have o make sure the provider is legit.

My career goals are to become a kindergarden teacher or work with smaller children. I want to achive this by getting my associates degree and then getting my bachelors degree and maybe if im uo for it to get my masters.

1. Jen Longley Post author

Brianna — Thanks for creating a thread in this discussion forum. Your aunt’s site sounds like an interesting place to visit. For Module 7 Assignment #1, which of the sites did you visit — the infant classroom, preschool classroom, or young school age classroom?

2. Selanie M Marte

1.Which age group did you observe?
    I observed the infants and toddlers group

2.What struck you from the video? Why?
    Visiting this classroom the things that struck me was how the teachers interacted with the children and engaged them in playing with the tunnel because I know children can be fussy and it can be challenging because children tend to feel or sense what your feeling.

3.What did you learn being a teacher with the age group you observed? I learned that being a teacher with this age group you have to have patience and should speak in a soothing voice.

4.Can you picture yourself working in the classroom? Why?
    Yes I can see myself working with this age group because I have always taken care of children at a very young age and it personally just comes natural to me when taking care of younger children.

1. bianka de las nueces

Hello Selanie,

I also think that you do need patience when working with young children, it is important because it is the key to start working with them. Talking with them its also very important specially in an appropriate tone of voice. Talking with infants can develop their communication and they’ll be more aware of what’s going on around them.

2. Lizbeth Fuentes

Hi, Selanie I think that working with infants and toddlers will help you gain more knowledge about children, I also agree how you said that it can be challenging at times when children tend to feel or sense what your feeling. Overall I like how you responded to all questions Great Job!!

3. Emily Romero

Hi Selanie, I like your responses to the questions, I agree that in that age group is extremely important to have patience and have a soothing voice because it will make the kids understand the teacher a lot better.
      I hope the site visit helped you answer the questions you were having about infants and toddlers

4. Jen Longley Post author

Selanie — Thanks for your comment. Babies can become fussy and when 1 baby cries more start to cry.
      I wonder, how did the teacher in the video handle it when 1 baby became fussy?

3. bianka de las nueces

Which age group did you observe?
    The age group that I observe was the preschool age children.

What struck you from the video? Why?

What struck me the most from this video was how the children were playing and engaging. This is because it is important for children to participate and learn by experiences and their imagination with active play.

What did you learn being a teacher with the age group you observed?

What I learned was that children learn at play and observing and engaging with other peers. This gives them an opportunity every day to socialize and develop their minds and learning. It is important to engage them with them also and be part of their imagination because it can give you the chance of viewing their level of development.

Can you picture yourself working in the classroom? Why?

I can picture myself working in this classroom because I can learn how children develop their domains and how they do things on their own. With that knowledge I can be more experienced and could handle a classroom on my own as lead teacher.

1. Brianna Rodriguez

Hi, Bianka I didnt do preschool age even though I did a different age I noticed it was the same thing with the smaller children I was able to see how they engaged with their peers and saw how their mind was working when playing. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the children.

2. Jen Longley Post author

Bianka — Thanks for your comment. Peer activities are important for preschool age children because they learn from their peers in ways that infants & toddlers do not. I wonder, how did you see the teacher facilitating development, learning, and peer interactions in the video you watched?

4. Lizbeth Fuentes

1.Which age group did you observe?
    The Age Group I observed was Pre-school Age Children.
    2.What struck you from the video? Why?
    Something that struck me from the video is how well they used their communication skills in order to understand each other when they were playing. Also on how well behaved they are, although there are a lot of kids in the same place they still manage to share the toys that are surrounded by them.
    3.What did you learn being a teacher with the age group you observed?
    What I learned was how well they are able socialize and how they used their imagination when playing with toys, and I think that it is very important that pre-school age children use these skills in order for them to develop more of their skills.
    Yes, I can picture myself working in the classroom because I will have the ability to engage with them like they do to their fellow classmates and also learn more on how they are developing.

1. Jasmattie

Hi Bianca, I agree with you how you would picture yourself in a classroom, I think I also picture my messed the same way, because I will have the ability to engage with them. I can learn how children develop their domains and how they do things on their own. With that knowledge I can be more experienced and could handle a classroom on my own as a teacher.

2. Jen Longley Post author

Lizbeth — Thanks for comment in this assignment. I wonder, what made the children “well-behaved”? How did you see the teacher facilitate the children’s’ interactions — either directly or indirectly?

5. Jasmattie

Which age group did you observe?
    The age group that I observed was the preschool age children.

What struck you from the video? Why?
    What struck me the most from this video was how the children were responding to the teacher, because it’s good that the children are interacting with the teacher and understand what going on, and what they wanted to become when they grow bigger.

What I learned was how well they are able to socialize and how they used their imagination when playing with toys, and I think that it is very important that pre-school age children use these skills in order for them to develop more of their skills.

Yes, I can picture myself working in the classroom because I will have the ability to engage with them. I can learn how children develop their domains and how they do things on their own. With that knowledge I can be more experienced and could handle a classroom on my own as a teacher.

1. Jen Longley Post author

Jasmattie — Thanks for your comment. Preschool age children can use their imagination and engage in abstract thinking. I wonder, how exactly were the children responding to the teacher?

6. Emily Romero

Which age group did you observe?

What struck you from the video? Why?
    What struck me from the video was how the children were imagining that they were certain things and played a long with it together because it got my attention how their minds were able to work to just bring themselves to be whatever they wanted.

What I learned was that children will engage with each other giving them social skills just by playing together and how they were okay with whatever their peers chose to be they still interacted with each other. This will help them develop their minds to know that they can be whatever they want without no one telling them anything. As teacher we can also use this to see the level of development a child is on.

I can picture myself working in this classroom because I can be with the kids and learning about them a lot better, I would be communicating with them more which will make it easier to understand a child and their developments.

1. Daniela Rosales

Hi Emily, I agree with you that children creating their own roles stuck me too. It’s really interesting to see how they use their imaginations and use any object and create it into something else.

2. Jen Longley Post author

Emily — Thanks for your comment. Peer socialization is important for preschool age children. I wonder, how did the teacher create an environment that facilitated peer socialization?

7. elizabeth hauter

1. Which age group did you observe?
    Infants and toddler.
    2. What struck you from the video? Why?
    It was quiet in class. There was not a lot of noise and crying. Because when I used to think about an infant and toddler class. I used to think it will be loud, it will be hard to calm down everyone because when one child cries, the other ones will react to the crying and will do the same thing.
    You must be very patient; you need to love working with infants and toddlers, you need to have the characteristics of a mother.
    Yes, when I watch the three videos. I felt like infants and toddlers video grabs my attention more. The second thing when I’m around little kids. The infants always grab my attention, and I always felt like I connect with them easily.

1. Daniela Rosales

Hi Elizabeth, I agree with you on how to work with infants you have to be patient. Since during this stage, infants often cry and need a lot of attention in order to provide them a safe environment and assist their needs.

2. Brianna Rodriguez

I agree with that video. I noticed the teacher and how she has a crazy amount of patience and was able to keep a friendly and inviting face the whole time while teaching the kids something new. I enjoyed reading your responses.

8. Kathy Garcia

1.Which age group did you observe?
    -Pre School Age Children
    2. What struck you from the video? Why?
    – There’s was nothing that truly shocked me, it was a regular class to me.
    – I learned that they really engage so much with one another.
    – Yes, i can see myself working with this age group.

9. Daniela Rosales

1. Which age group did you observe?
    – The age group that I observed was preschool age children.
    2. What struck you from the video? Why?
    – What struck me from the video was how socialize the children were with one another. They created their own roles at the dramatic play center. It shows how well they communicate with one other and how they create their own make-believe play. I think it is important for children to socialize and create a relationship with their classmates and the staff members.
    – I learned that being a teacher with preschool age children, you have to carefully pay attention to them to see how they play at the center. It is important for them to socialize with their classmates and build trust with each other and with staff members. Allowing them to create their own make-believe play allows them to create their own roles and to develop their comprehension skills.
    – I can picture myself working in this classroom because I would want to engage with the children and to see how they create their make-belive play at the centers in the classroom.

1. Jen Longley Post author

Daniela — Thanks for your comment. Preschool age children create and negotiate roles when playing. I wonder, how did the teacher facilitate socialization between the children in the environment they created?

10. Brianna Rodriguez

Which age group did you observe?
    I observed the infant age group.

What struck you from the video? Why?
    something that struck me the most was when the teacher lkept finding different tactics on how to get the infants engaged with whatever she [put in front of them. She helped them with the activity with whatever fit them best for their personalities.

A lot of patience is involved when being a teacher for infants because they can’t say what they want exactly you have to figure it out.

Personally, I wouldn’t want to work with infants because they can’t even speak a little I would prefer children who are able to express themselves with words even a little bit. I think I would be too nervous with babies that small.

1. Ashley Orozco

Hi Brianna,
      I agree with your answer to the last question. I myself am not too sure if I’d want to work with infants because of how fragile they can be. I would feel that I would do something wrong and they wouldn’t be able to tell me.

2. Jen Longley Post author

Brianna — Thanks for your comment. It sounds like you noticed how the teacher was individualizing routines/ engagement with the babies. I can appreciate being nervous around babies — it’s not the ideal age group for everyone. I wonder, would you want your baby to be in that classroom? Why?

11. Araceli Cortez

Which age group did you observe?
    I observed the pre school age group.

What struck you from the video? Why?
    What struck me from the video is how much creativity the children had while playing.

I learned tat you have to interact and communicate with them because they are very curious. They depend on the teachers whenever they need help.

I can picture myself working in the classroom because I interact with kids well and have a lot of patience. I see myself giving my all into the children and classroom.

1. Jen Longley Post author

Araceli — Thanks for your comment. Young school age children can be creative. I wonder, how did the teacher create an environment that fostered the children’s creativity?

12. Ashley Orozco

1. Which age group did you observe?
    ——-The age group I observed was young school age children.
    2. What struck you from the video? Why?
    ——–What struck me from the video was how they are aware of a routine and the next steps in the class routine. It shows that they have adapted to the routine.
    ——I learned that we should be checking up on the children while they work. This way you can see if any one is struggling with their assigned work or if they understand what they’re supposed to be doing,
    —— I can picture myself working in the classroom because it is calm and the students know what they should be doing. They are responsible and do their work in the classroom. The environment in the classroom is good and comfortable.

1. elizabeth hauter

Hi Ashely, I totally agree with you, at that age group kids are already adapted to routine, they are more independent and they can take more responsibilities. I’m very glad that you have discovered what group you enjoy working with and I wish you the best.

1. JenniferRamirez

Hi Ashley I agree that we teachers need to be more involve and ask them if they understand the material and if they need any help or elaboration. We are there to help as teachers. That is also true that age is more aware and responsible.

2. Jen Longley Post author

Ashley — Thanks for your comment. How the children followed the routine in that class amazes me also. I wonder, how long do you think it took for the students to master the routine?

13. JenniferRamirez

Which age group did you observe?
    I observed Preschool age children.

What struck you from the video? Why?
    That no activity was done only playing with toys and coloring/drawing.

What I learn is to get involved with the students and play with them.

Yes I can because these students had conversations within each other and they had manners and felt save and just building trust and supporting them in there growth of language and learning to socialize and engage is amazing.

1. Jen Longley Post author

Jenni — Thanks for your comment. Creating trust with young children is important so they feel safe to learn. I wonder, why do you think that the children were playing, coloring an drawing?

14. Sarah Hicks

1. Which age group did you observe?
    • I observed the infants and toddlers group.

2. What struck you from the video? Why?
    • What struck me from the video was how well developed the relationships seemed to be with the teacher and the children. The children were very comfortable playing and expressing themselves throughout and even followed the teacher at times.

• I learned that activities don’t always have to be complex or fancy to be enriching and enjoyable. When the teacher simply put the toddlers in a high chair with water, they had a tactile and fine motor activity that they loved.

• I can picture myself working in the classroom because I am fascinated by kids and they bring me joy.

1. Jen Longley Post author

Sarah — Thanks for your comment. Relationships between babies and teachers are the foundation of what infant teachers do. I wonder, how do you think the infant teacher came up with the activities that she did?

15. Akera Phillip

Which age group did you observe? KINDERGARTEN 5-6

What struck you from the video? Why?
    How interactive the kids were with each other, even if they might’ve never played together. They held each other accountable for their actions

You have to keep your mind on everyone because every kid needs attention in some way, but also that kids enjoy playing alone sometimes and that’s completely okay

Yes because at the end of the day, I love to hear them talk. If you’ve evert sat down with kids at the age of 4-6, you realize how intelligent they are and it’s mind blowing

1. Jen Longley Post author

Akera — Thanks for your comment. The children in the classroom did hold each other accountable and were interactive in positive ways. I wonder, how do you think the teacher created the environment to facilitate peer accountability and interaction?

16. Meriem Yousef

Which age group did you observe?

I observed children who seemed to be 5-6 years old.

What struck you from the video? Why?

I was really shocked to see how independent, well behaved, and respectful these kids were. It was like they were already used to their routine set by their teacher that class time was very easy for them.

I learned that it is very important to set a routine for these children. When they have a routine, they cooperate and behave very easily. It is important to let the kids sometimes be independent so they can try to teach themselves things.

I can picture myself working in the classroom because I want to educate these kids and hear about their different learning tactics. Their energy is definitely delightful and fascinating to watch.

17. brianacrespin712

Which age group did you observe?
    I observed pre-school children.
    What struck you from the video? Why?
    what struck me from this video is how much observing and learning goes into watching preschool children.
    What I learned being a teacher from this age group was that it requires alot of patience and good teaching skills. You must teach to the best of your ability to make sure they learn to the best of their ability for that age.
    I can picture myself working in that classroom because although it was crowded im sure that I could manage.

18. Gina

I watched the video on preschool-aged children. What struck me the most was that not all the children were playing together at once. About half the students were playing and the other half were doing classwork. Also, I realized that when you work with this age group, playtime is necessary for their growth and development. Engaging in playtime helps them strengthen their language skills and gives them the opportunity to make friendships. I can picture myself working in the classroom because I love working with children and watching them learn.

1. Jen Longley Post author

Gina — Thanks for your comment. Yes, the children were engaged in different activities. Play supports learning in all domains — cognitive, social-emotional. physical, language, and self-help/ adaptive living skills. I wonder, why would the children engage in different activities at the same time?

19. Kayla

Which age group did you observe?
    Preschool

What struck you from the video? Why?
    Nothing really because I use to help my aunt with her pre-k class but I liked how the children were very interested with the toys and with each other.

That it’s going to be a little crazy but as long as you have a routine with them it will be fine.

Yes because I have so many little cousin or nieces and nephews so this I’m already use to.