Module 5 Assignment #2: Ethics & Professionalism When Working with Preschool Age Children (9/28-10/4)

Read the NAEYC Code of Ethics

NAEYC Code of Ethics (2011)

Answer the following questions:

Pick 2 Professionalism Questions.  Answer the questions below:

1. Is it professional to eat in front of the children while they are eating? Why?
  2. Is it professional to be setting up the morning activities in the classroom as the children arrive in the morning? Why?
  3. Is it professional to finish a child’s art project if the child asks you to? Why?
  4. Is it professional to ask a family to help with an activity/ lesson you are leading? Why?
  5. Is it professional to give your boss a week’s notice if you plan to quit? Why?

Pick 3 Ethical Dilemmas.

1. Which situations did you pick?
  2. How would you handle the situation if you were the teacher in the classroom? WHY?

Reply to 2 other posts — try to reply to people who had different views then you do.

66 thoughts on “Module 5 Assignment #2: Ethics & Professionalism When Working with Preschool Age Children (9/28-10/4)

1. brianacrespin712

Is it professional to eat in front of the children while they are eating? Why?
    It isn’t really professional to be eating while the children are eating because you should be paying attention and observing the kids making sure everything is fine. It is more professional to eat during a break or your lunch hour.
    Is it professional to be setting up the morning activities in the classroom as the children arrive in the morning? Why?
    No it is not professional to be setting up the morning activities in the classroom as the children arrive. You should have it prepared that way when the children walk in they can get straight to learning.
    Is it professional to finish a child’s art project if the child asks you to? Why?
    No you should not finish a Child’s project if they ask you to do so because the point of teaching is so that they learn. If you do the assignment for them they will not learn anything besides bad habits and poor discipline. You can help them understand the project but do not do it for them.
    Is it professional to ask a family to help with an activity/ lesson you are leading? Why?
    No it is not professional to ask a family member to help with an activity or lesson because your family member does not know the curriculum. It would be better to ask a co worker who learned the same as you and can give you valuable tips on how to conduct the lesson.
    Is it professional to give your boss a week’s notice if you plan to quit? Why?
    It isn’t professional to give a boss a week’s notice if you plan to quit because in order to find a replacement it would require more then a week to find someone who is eligible. They can not hire just anyone to be a teacher it would be better to give a month or two weeks notice in advanced that way the school can find someone worthy of taking your spot.
    Pick 3 Ethical Dilemmas.
    Which situations did you pick?
    How would you handle the situation if you were the teacher in the classroom? WHY?
    Pick 3 Ethical Dilemmas.
    Which situations did you pick?
    3.You believe children learn through play and hands-on learning activities. This involves messy play. A new family enrolls in the program and says they do not want their son’s clothes to get dirty.
    If I was the teacher I would Handle this situation in a different manner. I would ensure the family that the child’s clothes would not get dirty because I would put aprons on the children ensuring they leave school the way that they came to it. There is always a way to please everyone and still do the activities which you wanted to conduct.
    4.Your co-worker is constantly late which means you are alone with all of the children until she arrives
    I would address my coworker and tell her that she can not be doing that because I need the extra set of hands while watching the children. I would handle it professionally by telling her in a nice way and if she continues to do it I would then take it to the boss and let him handle it.

5.You see your co-worker using a rope with handles to guide a group of students down the hall. When the students come to the stairwell, the first student starts to walk up the steps. The staff member tells the students to wait but the students didn’t hear her. The staff member yanks the rope, causing the first student to fall from the step. The girl falls down landing with her arms outstretched in front of her, and starts to cry.
    I would immediately tell my co worker that is unacceptable and that she will no longer do rope duty. In no way should anyone inflict harm to the children. The jobs of the teacher is to provide a safe learning environment. I would then have a meeting with her and the boss in order to enforce better protocal and work tactics.

1. Brianna Rodriguez

hi brianna i definitely agree with how you would handle your co worker being late instead of going to your supervisor because you was realistic that sometimes people do have their own issues, but also didn’t appreciate it on a professional level. If you would possibly go through this I think you would hand the situation great.

2. Jen Longley Post author

Briana — You have very detailed responses! It’s clear you want to ensure the environment is safe and supports learning for all children. For ethical dilemmas #4 & 5, you speak with your co-workers directly. I wonder, what if a family has a specialized skill set — say they are a fire fighter — could they come assist if the class was talking about fire fighters?

2. Kathy Garcia

Pick 2 Professionalism Questions. Answer the questions below:
    1. Is it professional to finish a child’s art project if the child asks you to? Why?
    – It is not professional to finish a child’s project if they ask you too because the work has to come from them not from us that have way more knowledge then they do and its easy for us. They need to express their thinking and make them capable of finishing and understanding their work.
    2. Is it professional to ask a family to help with an activity/ lesson you are leading? Why?
    – As professional educators we should be able to teach lesson’s on our own because that’s what we studied for but maybe at one point we could use a parent as an example to show something or demonstrate when there isn’t anyone else to help in the room.
    Pick 3 Ethical Dilemmas.
    1.Your co-worker is constantly late which means you are alone with all of the children until she arrives
    – I would ask my co-worker why he/she is continuously late all the time before I start to assume why she is late because we might not know what they are going through but as educators we still need to be on time for the students and be professional.
    2.The NYC Dept of Health Bureau of Day Care regulations state there can be no more than 18 children in your classroom. Your new director is enrolling than more 18 families. Your roster has 21 children full-time students and the director is still recruiting more.
    – I would talk to the director because maybe it was a mistake that I would be having extra students in the classroom and let them know that according to the regulations we are only allowed to have 18 students in a classroom.
    3.There has been a blizzard and the snow has prevented you from taking your class outside for over a week. The students are getting restless and you are struggling to keep them busy inside. Another teacher has offered to lend you a full-length animated Disney movie.
    – I would put on the movie for the kids and maybe even have some snacks to make up for the time they should be outside playing.

1. Jen Longley Post author

Kathy — Thanks for your comment. Talking directly to your co-worker and director allows you to express yourself and fosters a relationship built on open, honest communication. Using resources — such as families who have expertise to assist us — is always helpful! I wonder, if children are restless and have a lot of energy, what can we do to help them release their energy?

3. bianka de las nueces

1. I think that is professional to eat in front of the children as long is there healthy foods and not unhealthy. Also, if its the same food that the school provides. The reason is because it is okay to encourage children to eat healthy and join them as a family style dining.

2. I do not think is professional to set up an activity in the classroom as the children arrive because it is important to greet and welcome the families first. This will gain more trust with parents. To set up activities, it has to be before the children arrive that way we are more prepared for the day.

3. I don’t believe is professional to finish a child’s project if the child asks us to. This is because the child wont learn anything if the teacher does the job for the child. However, teachers can always help them and give them a hand.

4. I think that to ask a family member for help with an activity or lesson, it will depend on what the teacher is leading. Sometimes the curriculum will ask parents to bring materials for a project or they would ask them to participate to read a story for the children.

5. I believe that it is not professional to give your boss a week’s notice if i plan to quit, but it is professional to give two weeks. This is because it is important to follow the protocol and the law.

Pick three dilemmas:

Situation 1:
    In this case I would let the mother know that I can not stop the children from getting their naps. It is important for them to get the sleep they need in order to develop more their learning every day. But, if the child refuses to sleep teacher’s can not force them to. In this case, the child appears to take naps and is getting the rest he needs.

Situation 3:
    This is a situation that I have experienced before. If the child’s parent refuses for his child to stop playing and get messy, I would have to have a meeting with my team mates and the parent. We would let them know that if their son wants to interact with their peers we can not say no to them. It is important that children interact with others and socialize, children learn by hands on and by play. If their concern is for their child not get dirty I would ask them to bring extra clothes or a piece of clothing that we can re use to put it on the child to prevent them to get dirty.

Situation 4:
    In this situation, I would contact my boss for assistance. That’s if I’m not in ratio with the children. But this will be a problem if my co worker is always late. It is not professional and it can cause future problems.

1. Lizbeth Fuentes

Hi Bianka, I agree on what you said about it is not professional to finish the Childs project just because they won’t learn anything and that is very true because the child has to have the ability to do its own work. I also agree with all of your opinions about the dilemmas they are well explained.

2. Jasmattie

Hi Bianka, i enjoy reading work, I agree with you on how you will handle your situation, if the parents don’t want their kids to sleep just have a meeting or talk to them and explain, and tell them it’s Important for children to sleep so they can get enough sleep and it will also get enough blood too.

3. Jen Longley Post author

Bianka — Thanks for your comment! We can model healthy eating habits and table manners if we eat with children. Arrival time in the morning is time to welcome everyone into the room. There is a line between supporting children and doing for children. We can never force a child to eat, sleep, or use the bathroom. I wonder, what did you do when situation #3 happened to you?

4. Lizbeth Fuentes

Pick 2 Professionalism Questions
    1.Is it professional to eat in front of the children while they are eating? Why?
    It is not professional to eat in front of the children while they are eating because eating in front of children, may cause consequences especially if a child has a type of food allergy you never know when a child might be allergic to something.
    2.Is it professional to be setting up the morning activities in the classroom as the children arrive in the morning? Why? It is not professional to be setting up activities in the morning as the children arrive just because you have to be in control and well organized that way you don’t feel like its all over the place.Setting up before the children come, may be easier and faster for yourself.
    Pick 3 Dilemmas
    3. In situation 3 I would try to speak to the parents of the child in a very respective way and find out what can be done or solved, and finding out what is convinient to the parent because it is a better way to solve an issue like this. I would also explain that hands on learning activities is a good way for the child to learn but if their respond in a different way, then I would have to accept their opinion and try a different activity with the child that won’t cause the same issue.
    4.In situation 4 the co worker is constantly late, I would eventually try to speak and communicate with my fellow colleague and make her understand that she needs to be in time and that is all about teamwork that way she understands.
    8. In situation 8 I think it was a great way for the teacher to help out with the problem, but In my opinion I would have come up with an activity so that they can do that way they are entertained.

1. Jasmattie

Hi Lizbeth, I love reading you work, I agree with you on how you will handle your situation, yes you should alway have a meeting or speak to the parents and tell them, what is the rules and what kids should be doing in the classroom or outside. It’s good to help kids and solve the problem with the parents.

2. Jen Longley Post author

Lizbeth — Thanks for your comment. Being respectful of families — as well as children and colleagues is important when working with young children. Having activities set-up in the morning allows you to be available to greet the children and families as they come. Keeping children engaged in hands-on physical activities allows them to move their bodies, explore, and learn. I wonder, how do children learn table manners and appropriate social behavior while eating?

5. Jasmattie

Is not professional to eat in front of the children while they are eating because a professional teacher eats when it’s their lunch time.

2.Is it professional to be setting up the morning activities in the classroom as the children arrive in the morning? Why?

It is not professional to be setting up activities in the morning as the children arrive because you have let the student come in and relax and then take their attendance, organized your stuff so that you don’t feel like things are all over the place. Setting up before the children come, may be easier, so you will also feel calm and prepare to start the day.

3.Is it professional to finish a child’s art project if the child asks you to? Why?

No it’s not professional to finish a children art project because the child won’t learn anything if the teacher does the child work. However, teachers can always help them by showing them what to do by holding the pencil in their hand and show them for the first time and let them do the rest on it so they will get a hang of it.

4 Is it professional to ask a family to help with an activity/ lesson you are leading? Why?

Yes it’s professional to ask a family member to help with an activity lesson because Sometimes the curriculum will ask parents to bring materials for a project or they would ask them to participate to read a story for the children, Or even help them build a house or do an art project etc.

5 Is it professional to give your boss a week’s notice if you plan to quit? Why?

Yes, it is professional to give your boss a week or two notice that you’re going to quit so they can find someone to take over your job, because it is important to follow the protocol and the law.

Pick three dilemmas:
    Solution 1
    In this case I would let the parents know that I can not stop the children from getting their naps. It is important for children to sleep so they can get enough sleep and it will also get enough blood too. But if the kid does not want to sleep as a Professional teacher I cannot force the child because I will break the rules.

Situation 3:
    This is a situation if the child’s parent refuses for his child to stop playing and get messy, I would have a meeting or talk with the parents and tell them they are children and they always get messy, but I will try my best for the child not to get messy, because the child has to plays and have fun. Also I will tell the parents their child will have to play with other kids and interact with them because that is a part of their schooling, because schooling is not just sending your child to school and let them do work alone, that is not how it works. Also I would ask them to bring extra clothes or a piece of clothing that we can put it on the child to prevent them from getting dirty.

Situation 4:
    In this situation, I would contact my boss for assistance. And tell her what is going on, that my coworker is alway late, That we need someone else to take care of the kids, It is not professional and it can cause future problems. Also I will be plain and straight that I cannot work with people who alway come in late or not showing up for work, so my boss will have to find someone else

1. Selanie M Marte

Hi Jasmattie, I just realized we picked the same questions but overall great work and I agree for situation number 4 that if it does become a habit that your co-worker is always late you can also discuss it with your boss but I would not mention that you can’t work with others because of their lateness maybe you should politely talk with your co-worker to understand why she is late. It may be a personal matter that she may not want to share.

2. Jen Longley Post author

Jasmattie — Thanks for your comment. We can never force a child to eat, sleep, or use the bathroom. Your supervisor is always a resource when you are unsure how to handle a situation. I wonder, how much time would a supervisor need to find a teacher to replace a person who quit (advertise the position, interview candidates, decide on the right person, etc.)? What if the family in ethical dilemma #3 did not have extra clothes to bring to school?

6. Selanie M Marte

No, it is not professional to eat in front of the children while they are eating because they can choke on their food or get into anything while they are eating. This is the time to pay attention to all of the children to make sure that they are eating their food because if your eating how would you know if the child ate his/her food. You have to make sure the child eats properly as well that’s why we are there to watch over them and guide them. As a teacher you have a schedule that comes with a lunch hour so you should eat at your lunch hours not at the children lunch hour.

2. Is it professional to be setting up the morning activities in the classroom as the children arrive in the morning? Why? No, I think that the morning activities should be set up before the children arrive because they help children feel safe and secure with routines and influence each child to show their cognitive development, social development, and emotional development. It’s important to have a routine to give us structure and a sense of control. It may also improve our Organization and focus on productivity. They can even make it easier for all age groups to learn and achieve more.

Pick 3 Ethical Dilemmas.

1.Which situations did you pick?
    3, 4, and 8

2.How would you handle the situation if you were the teacher in the classroom? WHY?

3. You believe children learn through play and hands-on learning activities. This involves messy play. A new family enrolls in the program and says they do not want their son’s clothes to get dirty. In this situation I would ask the parents politely to bring a spare change of clothes for the child because children can use their senses while learning. They will be able to see, touch, and move objects around them to complete tasks and that will strengthen their fine motor development in order to learn to control. communication and concentration when solving problems. If the parent still does not agree I will form a meeting with my staff and see if their is a way to find a better solution for the parent and the child.

4. Your co-worker is constantly late which means you are alone with all of the children until she arrives.
    In this situation I would respectfully pull my co-worker to the side and ask her politely what is causing her lateness and is there anything I can help her with because her tardiness is impacting the team.

8. There has been a blizzard and the snow has prevented you from taking your class outside for over a week. The students are getting restless and you are struggling to keep them busy inside. Another teacher has offered to lend you a full-length animated Disney movie.
    In this situation I would bring outside activities indoors like a scavenger hunt, indoor gardening , indoor camping, creating a scrapbook, finger painting, or paper plate craft. I would also accept the other teachers offer and have the children watch one animated Disney movie and make a project out of it so the kids can draw their favorite character in the movie.

1. Daniela Rosales

Hi Selanie, I liked how you explained why it would be unprofessional for the teacher to eat while the children are eating because they can choke. I agree with you because as a teacher, we are responsible on paying attention to the children and making sure they are eating safely. I liked the explanation you provide for situation 8 by bring outdoor activities indoors like indoor camping. Indoor camping seems like a really cool idea for the children to enjoy!

2. Jen Longley Post author

Selanie — Thanks for your comment. Engaging in a conversation with your co-worker promotes open, honest communication and can build the relationship you have. Engaging in outdoor activities that foster movement and mental activity will help the children release the energy they have built up. I wonder, do children learn best when someone tells them what to do or models for them what to do?

7. Brianna Rodriguez

No its more professional to eat when its your own lunch break. You are suppose to be paying attention to the children around you when eating their food instead of focusing on your own needs in that moment.

no it is not professional to give your boss a one week notice you should always resign with a two week notice. You resigning from your job the right way allows you to keep a reference.

dilemas
    You believe children learn through play and hands-on learning activities. This involves messy play. A new family enrolls in the program and says they do not want their son’s clothes to get dirty.

answer- I would explain to the mother why I feel there is a need for the hands on learning activities, if she continues to not agree I would try to find the best option to protect the children’s clothing, or even lessen the messy play so the child can participate as much as the other children.

Andrea, the mother of a 4-year-old Zachary asks you not to let Zachary to nap in the afternoon. Andrea says the nap causes Zachary to stay up too late, and she can’t get him up in the morning. Zachary usually sleeps soundly for one hour every day and seems to need the sleep to be able to enjoy class activities and get along with other children in the afternoon.

answer- I would have to explain to the mother why it is necessary for the child to get their one hour of nap time because it helps him participate better, while also explaining that all the other children must take their nap time. i wouldn’t be able to just take that awayfrom him.

The NYC Dept of Health Bureau of Day Care regulations state there can be no more than 18 children in your classroom. Your new director is enrolling than more 18 families. Your roster has 21 children full-time students and the director is still recruiting more.

answer – I would report it to the Nyc dept of health because obviously there is a reason for the the maximum amount of children. besides the safety of myself we also haveto think about the safety of the child and their families that they go home to.

1. Daniela Rosales

Hi Brianna, I agree how it is unprofessional to give your boss a one week notice instead of two. You should inform your boss ahead of time because they have to look for a new employer who is eligible for the job. For situation 7, I liked how you explained how you would handle the situation and definitely agree that it would be a good idea to report it to the NYC Dept.

2. Ashley Orozco

Hi Briana,
      Situation 1 was something where I wasn’t sure of how to approach. Although I understand the mother’s request about Zachary not being allowed to take a nap, it’s still important for Zachary to have his nap time to help him during class time.

3. Jen Longley Post author

Brianna — Thanks for your comment. You bring up a good point about asking for a reference when you leave a position. Because the clearance required to work with young children takes time, the more notice you give your employer the better. Giving 4 weeks notice in ECE settings is good practice. I wonder, how would you feel if Zachary was your child and you were Andrea? Can you think of reasons why a family may not want their child’s clothes to get messy?

8. Daniela Rosales

– It is not professional to eat in front of the children while they are eating because as a teacher you are require to pay attention to them in order to avoid an accident from occurring. You are responsible on making sure the children are eating from their own plate because some children can be allergic to certain foods. We are provided a lunch break that allows us to eat at our own time, not during the children’s lunchtime.
    – It is not professional to finish a child’s art project if they ask you to because they are suppose to learn from their own work. If we help them with the project, it’s going to turn into a habit where the child thinks it’s okay for a teacher to finish their work. They are suppose to learn from their own work and create their own ideas. We can guide them when they need help with the material but not finish the whole project for them.

Pick 3 Ethical Dilemmas.
    1. Which situations did you pick?
    3) You believe children learn through play and hands-on learning activities. This involves messy play. A new family enrolls in the program and says they do not want their son’s clothes to get dirty.
    4) Your co-worker is constantly late which means you are alone with all of the children until she arrives.
    8) There has been a blizzard and the snow has prevented you from taking your class outside for over a week. The students are getting restless and you are struggling to keep them busy inside. Another teacher has offered to lend you a full-length animated Disney movie.

3) I would inform the parents if they are able to provide an extra spare clothing for the child to use for play and hands-on activities. I would tell them why I do hands-on activities as it’s beneficial for children to learn from their senses and motor skills. Play and hands-on activities are helpful for the children to learn from their own creation and able to socialize with their classmates. If the parents don’t agree, I would schedule a meeting with the parents and staff members in order for everyone to remain on the same page and create a soultion where it can be beneficial for everyone.
    4) I would ask my co-worker why they are being constantly late. I would ask if they are dealing with personal problems and if there is anything I can help them with. I believe is important for us to stay updated when we are dealing with something in order to solve the problem. If it continues to happen after our discussion, I will inform my director about it turning into a habit and how it is very unprofessional for them to show up late every day while I need additional assistance with the children.
    8) I would thank the teacher for letting me borrow the animated Disney movie. Meanwhile, I would create fun activities for the children. I would create an art project where the children can draw and color in their favorite character in the Disney movie that we saw. I would then create fun activities for the week in order for the children to stay happy and enjoy having as much fun inside as they did outdoors.

9. Ashley Orozco

——Pick 2 Professionalism questions below and answer them——–
    — It is not professional to set up morning activities as children arrive in the morning because it can be distracting. Teachers should be focusing on getting children adjusted in the classroom. If a teacher is setting up activities, they won’t be able to keep an eye on the children.

— It is not professional to finish a child’s art project for whatever reason. The project is a way for the child to learn and if a teacher or adult finishes it, they won’t learn and they’ll think it’s okay for other people to do their projects for them.

————-Pick 3 Ethical Dilemmas———————
    The situations I picked were 3, 4, and 7.

Situation 3: I would explain to the family that hands-on activities help with the child’s development. I would suggest that the parents bring in a spare of clothes for the child. If that doesn’t work, I would also suggest buying an apron that the child can use if it involves messy play.

Situation 4: I would ask my coworker privately if there’s something wrong that results to her coming in late to work. I would also ask her nicely that if she could come in to work on time that’d be great. I’d try to explain to her that it’s important for her to come on time for the children’s safety. If she makes no effort to come on time, I would talk to my boss.

Situation 7: I would let the new director know that what they’re doing violates the NYC regulations. I would advise that they stop enrolling families and only allow 18 children in the classroom. If they choose to ignore the NYC regulations I would call the NYC Dept of Health Bureau of Day Care and inform them of what’s going on.

1. Jen Longley Post author

Ashley, Thanks for your comment. During arrival time, teachers need to be available to greet the children and families when they come to the classroom. Talking to your co-worker privately and speaking with the director fosters open and honest communication and can enhances your relationship. I wonder, what if the family in ethical dilemma #3 did not have extra clothes to bring in?

10. JenniferRamirez

it is not professional because we are there to see them eat in case of an emergency, we can eat when it is our lunch break plus there some students who go up to you and grab your lunch.

No it is not because a children should learn and engaged in the project by itself although we can guide and help them if they need the help.

ETHICAL DILEMMAS

I would tell the parents to bring in cloth that they can get dirty on and afterwards I’ll clean them with baby wipes, if the mom still doesn’t accept that than I’ll talk to them and tell them they need to participate in the activity’s and than tell them to bring him a plastic rain coat poncho.

4. Your co-worker is constantly late which means you are alone with all of the children until she arrives

I would talk to her separately and advise her to start coming in early, I would also ask her if theirs something wrong as to why shes coming later and understand her.

10. Alia cannot eat pork because of her family’s religious beliefs. Her friend Jose offered to share his ham sandwich with her. While you were helping another child, Jose gave Alia some of his sandwich and she ate it.

What I would do would be talk to Jose and tell him that he nor anyone in the class can share snacks , lets keep it sanitary. Than tell the parents of Alia and elaborate that it was a mistake and that I spoke to everyone in the classroom.

11. Emily Romero

I think it’s unprofessional because a child should be able to do their own work and even if they ask you, you as a teacher should encourage them to continue.
    It is unprofessional to give a week’s notice, it is always better two give a two week notice so it gives time to look for a replacement.

In this situation, I would try and get aprons for the kids so they have no problem when doing activities and their clothes will be protected.

4.Your co-worker is constantly late which means you are alone with all of the children until she arrives.
    I would have a conversation with my co-worker and see if theres anything going on thats making her late and see if she’s able to fix it because is unprofessional that she’s constantly late when you need the extra help.

10.Alia cannot eat pork because of her family’s religious beliefs. Her friend Jose offered to share his ham sandwich with her. While you were helping another child, Jose gave Alia some of his sandwich and she ate it.
    I would have a talk with Alia’s parents and tell them that Alia ate pork while i was busy with another student and i would also talk to Jose so he knew about Alia’s culture. I would also try to have a day where we all learned about different religions and cultures so the incident doesn’t repeat again.

1. Jen Longley Post author

Emily — Thanks for your comment. Sharing with Alia’s family what happened is important as it fosters trust and open communication. In ECE settings, it takes a long time to replace a person (to advertise a position, interview candidates & for the person to go through the clearance process), so giving as most notice as possible is best. I wonder, will children are 3-5 years old, understand the nuances of Alia’s culture, like what pork is?

12. Meliza Almonte

1.Is it professional to ask a family to help with an activity/ lesson you are leading? Why?
    Yes because they are able to also interact with there children and see if they are learning. Parents getting involved build a better bond with there kid.

2. Is it professional to give your boss a week’s notice if you plan to quit? Why?
    Yes in order to give them time to find there replacement but 2 weeks would be better.

1. Zachary could take a nap a little earlier but the mother should be a little strict with him and his bedtime and get him use to sleeping at that time. Naps help them get through the long day and be more active.
    3. I would explain to the parents that hand on activities help the students learn better because they are touching it and don’t feel left out. I would tell them to bring a spare change of clothes in case they would like to change the student if they get dirty.
    4. I would speak to my coworker as to why they are late and to let me know ahead of time so i could be ready and not feel rushed or overwhelmed when getting students ready for the day.

1. Jen Longley Post author

Meliza — Thanks for your comment. Engaging families in the classroom is always a plus — when families are engaged they are invested in their child’s education. In ECE settings, it is good practice to give as much notice as possible when leaving — it takes time to advertise the position, interview candidates, and have the new employee go through the clearance process. Talking directly to your co-worker fosters open, honest communication which can enhance your relationship. I wonder, for ethical dilemma #3, what if the family did not have clothes to bring in?

13. elizabeth hauter

2. Is it professional to be setting up the morning activities in the classroom as the children arrive in the morning? Why? No because you have to make all the kids in class to welcome them to the class room and to give them enough to prepare themselves for activities.
    NO, I think one of the main points is that we need to touch kids’ self- dependence.
    Pick 3 Ethical Dilemmas.
    8. There has been a blizzard and the snow has prevented you from taking your class outside for over a week. The students are getting restless and you are struggling to keep them busy inside. Another teacher has offered to lend you a full-length animated Disney movie
    I will refuse, and try to find something fun. Like maybe putting on a song they all love and let them start dancing. Or let them choose which things they like, and take a vote for what we do..
    1.Andrea, the mother of a 4-year-old Zachary asks you not to let Zachary to nap in the afternoon. Andrea says the nap causes Zachary to stay up too late, and she can’t get him up in the morning. Zachary usually sleeps soundly for one hour every day and seems to need the sleep to be able to enjoy class activities and get along with other children in the afternoon.
    I will explain to the mother that Zachary needs the nap so he can be to get involved in the classes activities. And I can’t stop him from napping, because that will affect how he will be functioning through the day and will affect his learning skills.
    3. You believe children learn through play and hands-on learning activities. This involves messy play. A new family enrolls in the program and says they do not want their son’s clothes to get dirty.
    I will explain to the family that children need these activities to help their learning skills. If they can bring an extra t-shirt I can use during these activities.

1. Sarah Hicks

I appreciated that you stressed developing a child’s independance by having them do their own work. I have seen so many teachers want to make sure all the projects their kids do in class look pretty, so they finish or change them. It is easy to have that instict but it sounds like you won’t do that in your future classroom.

2. Jen Longley Post author

Elizabeth — Thanks for your comment. Setting up activities before children arrive allows you to greet children and families when they come. Creating an activity where the children can release their energy is a good idea when children are restless. I wonder, how would you feel if your were Andrea & you needed your child to go to go to bed early so they could wake up early?

14. Kiara Marin

1. Is it professional to eat in front of the children while they are eating? Why? – It is not professional to eat in front of the children at all because then you can’t watch them appropriately and you could have something a kid could be allergic to and that wouldn’t be good. Now if the child is eating and your eating your focused on your food and not that child and that can be a safety issue because a child can choke and you won’t see it immediately. Also the child may want what you have to eat and if you don’t have enough to give every child that’s unfair and shouldn’t be done. Outside food shouldn’t be in presence of the children because of allergies, unfairness and protocols.
    2. Is it professional to be setting up the morning activities in the classroom as the children arrive in the morning? Why? – it is not professional to be setting up the class from while the kids are coming in because you as a teacher should be prepared and already on the ball. You can’t set up and properly pay attention to the kids and families coming in and out your room. You need to show that your prepared and ready for the day. Parents may see that and be a little thrown off by it and think you not prepared for their kids and it will cause over thinking. I also think it isn’t professional because you have a lesson plan already set up for the week or month you should have your materials for all activities and stuff ready so that means you come in earlier and get everything done.

* 4. Your co-worker is constantly late which means you are alone with all of the children until she arrives. -That is a safety issue, I could not be in ratio and if a incident occurred I wouldn’t be able to properly attend the the incident and the rest of the class. So I would have a conversation with my co-worker myself and then If the lateness continues I will take it to my supervisor.
    * There has been a blizzard and the snow has prevented you from taking your class outside for over a week.  The students are getting restless and you are struggling to keep them busy inside.  Another teacher has offered to lend you a full-length animated Disney movie. – I would first ask my supervisor if it’s okay for me to allow them to watch a movie and then I would look over it myself and make sure it’s appropriate. I would also incorporate the movie into my lesson to make sure it’s still educational. I would give them questions or activities based off the movie.
    * 3. You believe children learn through play and hands-on learning activities. This involves messy play. A new family enrolls in the program and says they do not want their son’s clothes to get dirty.   – I would tell the parents to bring a extra change of clothes for the student that they would allow them to get dirty in. I would also inform the child’s parents that the child can wear a apron or even gloves so their child’s clothes or hands get dirty. But they are kids so it’s going to happen, so I would try to work with the parents if that doesn’t happen then I will let my supervisor know that I will have to make a alternate activity for the child but then that will make the child feel excluded. In that case I will alert my supervisor and have them speak with the parents.

1. Sarah Hicks

I like your response about the ethical dilema of a parent not wanting their child to get messy. I think it is also important to make sure a child doesn’t feel excluded if you are altering something for them, and it is imoprtant to try and avoid changes for that reason.

2. Jen Longley Post author

Kiara — Thanks for your comment. Having activities set-up in the morning allows you to greet families and children when they arrive. Talking to your colleague if they are late regularly before you go o your supervisor demonstrates your respect for them. I wonder, why might a family want a child to not get their clothes dirty?

3. Akera Phillip

I loved your response to the last question because it gives the parent a choice whether they can bring extra clothes or that you can help out, which is an amazing way to build relationship with the parents.

15. Sarah Hicks

Assignment 1

Classroom 1:

In classroom one it seemed as though the instructor rook time to form relationships with the students while she played with them on their level. She also understood the Spanish-speaking student and gained her trust/sustained her culture by speaking and listening to her native language. It seemed like everyone enjoyed role-playing doctor together and that the instructor might have adapted the curriculum to meet the interests of the kids.

Classroom 2:

In the second classroom, the teacher led a scavenger hunt that seemed to captivate the attention of all her students. The teacher also gave positive affirmations and guidance to the kids during the activity that helped to establish a positive relationship with them. The environment was extremely open and inviting with play equipment

Classroom 3:

In the third classroom the teacher called each student by their names, establishing a positive relationship with the students. The first activity they did was a science experiment that was extremely interactive and hands on. The teacher also asked open-ended questions and assured learning with the environment she provided. The classroom had many bright colors and inviting shapes and patterns on the walls. This appeared to provide an exciting environment for class without over stimulating any of the children.

Classroom 4:

In classroom four, the teacher is playing with puppets and reading books with the students. The teacher seemed to get on the kids’ level and ask questions to establish a relationship with the students and to encourage the students to have a positive relationship with each other. I also noticed the materials in the class such as puppets and storybooks that encouraged learning and provided a safe and supported opportunity to learn.

Assignment 2
    • It is not professional to eat in front of the children because most likely they will be motivated to eat some of the food you are eating and you don’t know if it would be approved by their parents. It is also unprofessional and all school should designate a specific time for teachers to eat outside of class.
    • It is not professional to set up activities in the classroom as the kids arrive because you need to be focusing on the kids during that time and establishing secure attachments while assuring everyone they will be okay.
    Assignment 3
    1. Andrea, the mother of a 4-year-old Zachary asks you not to let Zachary to nap in the afternoon. Andrea says the nap causes Zachary to stay up too late, and she can’t get him up in the morning. Zachary usually sleeps soundly for one hour every day and seems to need the sleep to be able to enjoy class activities and get along with other children in the afternoon.
    • I would let the mom know that nap time is part of the class schedule and that Zachary’s mood/ participation in class is greatly shifted after his nap. So if she needs a different schedule she might look into another program.
    2. Shanise’s parents are in the middle of a bitter divorce and custody battle. One of Shanise’s father’s (Daddy) has come to you to ask you to help him gain custody of Shanise. He wants to know if you have noticed anything when Shanise has been dropped off by her other father (Poppy); for example, if Poppy comes late to pick her up, if Shanise is disheveled when Poppy brings her, or anything else you may have noticed about Poppy’s caregiving. You have noticed that Poppy has forgotten Shanise’s lunch and soy milk many times (Shanise has food allergies). You also know that Poppy often bring Shanise late on the days that she is with him and that it’s always hard for Shanise when she arrives to the program later than she is used to. Poppy has come late to pick Shanise up several times too. On the days that Poppy brings Shanise he often forgets to bring her spare change of clothes back, communication book, and other things.
    • I would not give input on my opinion of one parent to another, despite them inquiring and especially if there is a custody battle involved. If I need to address the concern of forgetting milk or a lunch I would do that privately with the mom. It is not a teachers job to get involved in a family’s personal life like that.
    3. You believe children learn through play and hands-on learning activities. This involves messy play. A new family enrolls in the program and says they do not want their son’s clothes to get dirty
    • I would explain the developmental benefits of getting messy and assure the mom that I can put an extra smock on their child to try and improve the mess. Simultaneously I would try to stress the benefits of messy play and how important that is to our curriculum.

1. Jen Longley Post author

Sarah — Thanks for your comment. In the videos, you identified the elements curriculum, learning, relationships, environment and culturally sustaining practices. You provide clear examples that demonstrate how the elements were demonstrated. I wonder, what role did the environment have in videos #1-3? Welcoming both parents — regardless of who is seeking custody — is important, so we are respectful and neutral in this situation. For the ethical dilemmas, I wonder, how would you feel if you were Andrea?

16. Akera Phillip

I would let the parents know that there won’t be activities that would make the children look like they ran through dirt, but more so of paint and crayons and drawing, more like markers.

I will pull my co worker to the side and let her know it’s not fair to me be left alone with the children, when we both have to be in the same room. Just hold he/she accountable and she may also do the same to me because it’s more like a partnership.

I would pull both of them to the side, but make it look like we’re having play time so that no one looks like they’re in trouble. I would tell them, “I love the fact that you’re sharing because that means you care for one another, but there are certain things you can’t share with each other due to what mommy and daddy says. If you want to share your food next time ask me, so I can make sure it okay with your parents.” And then I will tell both parents from both parties what happened.

17. Araceli Cortez

It is not professional to eat in front of the children because your full attention isn’t towards them.

It is not professional to setup in the morning because you would need adjust the kids settling down, like taking off their bookbags and other belongings.

Pick 3 Dilemmas
    Your co-worker is constantly late which means you are alone with all of the children until she arrives.
    I would talk to my co-worker and see what the problem is because the job includes 2 teachers. I would ask her if their is any solutions to her problems.

There has been a blizzard and the snow has prevented you from taking your class outside for over a week. The students are getting restless and you are struggling to keep them busy inside. Another teacher has offered to lend you a full-length animated Disney movie.
    I would accept her offer but also try to do very hands on activities with the kids. I would do winter related crafts and try to be active with them. I would do stretch activities with them and gym related.

You see your co-worker using a rope with handles to guide a group of students down the hall. When the students come to the stairwell, the first student starts to walk up the steps. The staff member tells the students to wait but the students didn’t hear her. The staff member yanks the rope, causing the first student to fall from the step. The girl falls down landing with her arms outstretched in front of her, and starts to cry.
    I wouldn’t recommend the rope anymore because of how dangerous someone can get hurt. I would tell the teacher that her action wasn’t appropriate and I would be informing the parents of the child.

18. Kayla

It is not professional because you have to keep an eye on the children when they are eating just in case something happens.
    It is not professional because 1) it taking up the time you had to do that first activities then you’ll be behind for the other ones and 2) you won’t be able to greet your students as they come in.

Which situations did you pick?

I would handle this by telling the kids for the next few days we would do the activities I planned for them and for the last hour or something we watch the movies with another class till pick up time.

4. Your coworker is constantly late which means you are alone with all of the children until she arrives.
    I would handle this by first speaking with her making sure everything is okay and if it continues to be everyday then I would have to sit down and speak to our boss because that is unfair to me.

5. You see your coworker using a rope with handles to guide a group of students down the hall. When the students come to the stairwell, the first student starts to walk up the steps. The staff member tells the students to wait but the student didn’t hear her. The staff member yanks the rope, causing the first student to fall from the step. The girl falls down landing with her arms outstretched in front of her, and starts to cry.
    I would handle this by checking the girl first make sure she’s okay gets checked out by the nurse and I would have to contact the parents and my boss to have a meeting and explain to the parents what happened.

19. Gina

1. I believe it is professional to eat around the children at the appropriate times. For instance, if it’s lunch or snack time because you’re setting examples for the children. Also to make sure what you’re eating is healthy to make sure the kids know that healthy eating is important.

2. It is not professional because as soon as the children come in, the classroom should be prepared for the day. Coming in early and setting up gives the educator enough time to prepare the classroom for the lesson and to ensure everything is ready for when the children arrive.

——————————————————————————————————————–

1. I would inform the parents that naptime is essential for child development. The kids need to give their brains a break and sleep is essential in human growth regardless. But at the same time educators cannot force the child to sleep if they do not want too.

4. I would speak to the principal and let her know that the lateness is unacceptable. I undetrstand that things happen but once the children come in we should both be there and be ready to take on the day. Her being late puts me at a disadvantage and I should not be alone with the chidlren.

10. I would explain to the children that even though it’s great they are sharing with each other, it is going against the ruled the parents set in place. We can’t risk another child getting sick over miscommunication.

20. Jen Longley Post author

Gina — Thanks for your comment. Eating healthy food with children models eating habits and social behaviors around eating for children. Setting up the room before children arrive allows the teacher to greet the children and families. For scenario #4, I wonder, how will your colleague feel if you go to the principal? There are 3 things we can never force a child to do 1) eat, 2) sleep, 3) go to the bathroom.

21. melany

1. I think it is not professional to finish a child’s art project if the child ask you to because then they will depend on you to finish their next project or other work.
    2. I think It is professional to give your boss a week’s notice if you plan to quit because it will give your boss at least a bit of time to find your replacement.
    1. I chose 4. I would handle this buy having a chat with my co-worker about that person being late and if they don’t improve it I will talk to my boss about it .
    2. I chose 5. I would handle this by reporting my co-worker to my boss and making sure she never does this again because this is a safety hazard.
    3. I chose 7. I would handle this situation by telling my boss so he/she can be aware that I have reached the max amount of students I can have.