Module 6 Assignment 2: Ethics & Professionalism When Working with Young School Age Children (10/14-10/18)

Read the NAEYC Code of Ethics

NAEYC Code of Ethics (2011)

Pick 2 professionalism questions to answer:

1. Is it professional to wear jeans to work? Why?
  2. Is it professional to talk about your personal life with the children? Why?
  3. Is it professional to take out your cell phone when the children are around? Why?
  4. Is it professional to show pictures of the children in your class to your friends? Why?
  5. Is it professional to bring small treats for your “favorite” children if the other children don’t know? Why?

Pick 3 Ethical Dilemmas.

1. Which situations did you pick?
    2. How would you handle the situation if you were the teacher in the classroom? WHY?

Reply to 2 other comments — try to reply to people who had different views then you do.

63 thoughts on “Module 6 Assignment 2: Ethics & Professionalism When Working with Young School Age Children (10/14-10/18)

1. brianacrespin712

Is it professional to wear jeans to work? Why?
    It isn’t professional to wear jeans to work because as a teacher you must dress properly and wear dress pants. Something that makes you seem authoritative and nothing provocative. However, once in a while depending on the occasion it should be okay to wear jeans. For the regular class it is important to look presentable to work.
    Is it professional to talk about your personal life with the children? Why?
    No it is not professional to talk about your personal life with the children under no circumstances. This is because children should not be hearing adult problems. It is not professional to talk about anything besides the school work.
    Is it professional to take out your cell phone when the children are around? Why?
    No is not professional to take youur phone out when there is children around because you must stay focused on the children especially becaus they are youn. It is never professional to take your phone out in any job.
    Is it professional to show pictures of the children in your class to your friends? Why?
    It is not professional to show your friend children in your class because that is not with their consent. The parents may not agree with that because it is confidential.
    Is it professional to bring small treats for your “favorite” children if the other children don’t know? Why?
    No it is not professional to bring treats to your favorite children because no child should be treated better then the other child. Ever student shoukd be treated equally because it would make the other students feel bad considering they did not get a treat.
    Pick 3 Ethical Dilemmas.
    Which situations did you pick?
    Jermaine is having a birthday party and he invited some members of the class. Some of the families were talking about the party and Michael’s family overheard them talking, but Michael child was not invited to the party. Michael has a disability and has not been invited to any birthday parties. You can tell from the facial expressions on Michael’s family they are very upset.
    *I would handle this situation respectfully and I would adress it to the parents. I would tell them that they should invite michael because it is not fair that just because he has disabilities that he was not invited.

Several families in your class do not celebrate Christmas. You colleague wants to decorate the classroom, have a “Secret Santa” for the children, create art projects based on Christmas,
    *I would tell my colleagues that it is not professional for them to do secret Santa because there are students who don’t celebrate so it would not be fair for them. I would suggest that the class does something else.

You hear a co-worker make an insulting statement about children and families of a specific ethnic group.
    I would adress this to the coworker and tell him that it is not acceptable and he should appologize immediately.

How would you handle the situation if you were the teacher in the classroom? WHY

1. Jasmattie

Hi Briana I agree with you about teacher should not wear jeans to work because it’s not professional and they suppose to follow dress code and dress Professional at all time, also I love reading your solution.

2. bianka de las nueces

I believe that it is professional to wear jeans depending on the center you are working in. Some schools requires uniform and if not, jeans are appropriate as long as it does not have rips and holes on it.

It is not professional to talk about your personal life with children, as it is confidential and not appropriate. This is because children may tell another friend or their families and it can result to trouble. Work is not for gossiping specially with children. However you can always talk about appropriate fun conversations regarding their routines or their learning.

It is not professional to use cell phones when children are around because educators have to always supervise the children and not using their devices. You may need it for emergencies only when going outside for walks with the children.

I think is professional to show pictures of my class to my friends. If families gives the authorization to do so. However it is not professional to post pictures online of your class due to the fact that the children’s identity is private and not to be shown on social media.

I don’t think is professional to bring snacks to your favorite child because this shows favoritism. All students should be treated the same way and nurtured the same way.

3 Ethical dilemmas

7- In this situation, if I have repeatedly and politely asked the parent for pictures for the small project, I would respect that. But I would still try to make another plan for the child to make the book. I will encourage the child to draw memories of him and his family, that way the child doesn’t feel excluded.

6- In this situation I would call our boss to join us for a neighborhood walk and also assist us with the child. I would gather all the children for circle time and ask them to line up one by one to go for the
    neighborhood walk. This could help the child take fresh air, help his mind to be occupied off things. If the schedule were to be different I would plan an activity for all children to do, such as painting or any other sensory activities that would help the child to self regulate. This would help the child engage with his peers too. The class would be engaging with each other and learning how to use their hands appropriately and not aggressively. These activities shows attention to the whole class.

5- in this situation, it is not professional to gossip around about other families. I would speak with my college about it and try to help him about the situation. I would say to him that if he continues to gossip it can cause future problems with our boss and other families. To always keep it professional and confidential, and to always respect other families like they respect you. If he continues, then that’s a problem that he needs to fix.

1. Selanie M Marte

Hi Bianka,

I really liked the way you wrote everything and I agree that depending on the setting it is most definitely okay to wear jeans as long as they don’t have any prints or rips.
      Although for the pictures of your students being showed to your friends I would also make sure it is okay with the family to take pictures of the student’s and if it is shown to a friend that is okay but I do agree that it should not be posted online.

2. Jen Longley Post author

Bianka — Thanks for your comment. Your responses are thoughtful and thorough. Offering the child whose family cannot provide pictures the opportunity to create pictures is thoughtful strategy. If we want to be our authentic true selves as teachers, I wonder, can we connect our personal experiences and insights into our work with young children?

3. Kathy Garcia

– I think that it is Professional to wear jeans to work because there’s nothing wrong with jeans.
    – I don’t think that its unprofessional to maybe use a experience that only relates to the lesson of the class but its another thing to make it a habit and make it the child’s problem when its our own problem. Our personal life shouldn’t exist when our priorities are the kids.
    3. Is it professional to show pictures of the children in your class to your friends? Why?
    – It is NOT professional to be showing our friends pictures of the students because 1. we have no permission by their parent to take a photo of their child, 2. we shouldn’t even be taking pictures of the students nor have any.

Pick 3 Ethical Dilemmas.
    1. Your colleague tells the children if they behave or does what she wants them to she will give them candy. She tells them this repeatedly. Later, she holds pieces of candy in front of them to see and then takes it away from them, telling them, “No, you can’t have it,” because they did not behave the way she wanted them to.
    – The children are no pets that we have to treat them that way because coming into the classroom they have to be respectful to the teacher and the classmates. One thing could be to reward them if they listened and were working hard through out the day with a snack but we shouldn’t be taunting them or lying to them nor shoving the candy in their face.
    2. You hear a co-worker make an insulting statement about children and families of a specific ethnic group.
    – I would remove her from my classroom because that is no way to treat a child, and report it cause i will not condone any insulting comments made to a student nor their family.
    3. Several families in your class do not celebrate Christmas. You colleague wants to decorate the classroom, have a “Secret Santa” for the children, create art projects based on Christmas. I would have 2 stations so that no student feels left out. There could be one activity for those students and another activity for the other students because we don’t judge a person’s beliefs nor culture.

1. Emily Romero

Hi Kathy, I agree that the kids are our priority and shouldnt be involved with our personal problems.
      I like your response on dilemma 3, i think have 2 stations would be great so the kids will have options.

4. Brianna Rodriguez

No it is not professional to talk about your private life with children because they would most likely be small children and they shouldnt know adult issues. On the other hand if there is a small personal experience you went through that doesn’t get to personal you can possibly use it to further explain something or maybe even a lesson plan.
    I would say no because it invades the child privacy outside of school. Especially if its with your friends and its not necessary, I’m sure the parents wouldn’t appreciate their child being talked about without it concerning school.

dilemas
    One of your coworkers is constantly gossiping about families. He spends most of the work day talking about the families with other staff members. A new family started, who happens to be his personal friends whom he knows from the community before they enrolled in the center. He has started gossiping about families with this new family, sharing personal and confidential information about other families with this new family.
    Answer- I would tell my coworker how that isn’t right or professional of them to be sharing confidential information. it isn’t like my coworker is sharing their personal opinion on someone or something a family does to his friends. once you start sharing confidential information is when u cross a line. And if I was to continue to hear my coworker talking about these families I would tell our boss and let them handle that.

You are creating a book about each of the students in your class. You asked the families to send in pictures of the children throughout their lives to use for the book. Shane’s family has not responded to your request. You see his family during pick-off and politely ask them about photos. They respond, “We don’t have any,” and walk away with Shane.
    Answer- If I asked the parent and they haven’t provided me with anything then I would change the rules of the project for that child, maybe tell him to draw his family instead of using pictures.

If the parents don’t celebrate Christmas as in not buying gifts, insteading of making the parents buy a gift for another kid the kids can do arts and crafts and give each other meaningful gifts instead of material things. If its because of religious purposes I would still celebrate it in my classroom just not to the extreme and I would have other fun activities for kids who arent allowed to celebrate.

1. Lizbeth Fuentes

Hi Brianna, I like your responses and I agree that talking about your personal life and gossiping about other families is not professional . I also like how you responded to all three dilemmas they are very well said.

2. Jen Longley Post author

Brianna — Thanks for your comment. Making the distinction between personal problems and personal experiences is an important one. We want to be our authentic selves as teachers, and sometimes our personal experiences can enrich the curriculum.

5. Lizbeth Fuentes

Pick 2 professionalism
    3. s it professional to take out your cell phone when the children are around? Why?
    It is not professional to take out your cell phone when the children are around because you are supposed to be watching the children for incase they are doing something wrong or dangerous. This would just set a bad example for yourself towards the children and everyone else.
    5.Is it professional to bring small treats for your “favorite” children if the other children don’t know? Why?
    It is not professional to bring small treats for your “Favorite” children if the other children don’t know because it might make a child want one and also feel bad if he/she isn’t getting one. Choosing favorites isn’t professional either although if you a bring a small treat for the favorite child then the child might end up sharing with someone that is allergic to that treat and then there might be problems.

3 Ethical Dilemmas
    2. If I was in this situation I would have talked to my colleague about the different ways we can handle it, because doing that to a child isn’t right. I will also tell her that it isn’t right to just because the children will get used to that and the outcome of that wouldn’t be so good.
    6.If I was in that situation I would have talked to his parents about Dwayne’s situation in order to find a solution to this issue. But If I see that there is not solution I would report it to the principal and explain that Dwayne is using aggressive behavior and that other children are being affected by it.
    7. I would handle this situation in a very professional way. I would have to respect Shane’s family decision, and I would try to add something else in the book rather than a picture.

1. Daniela Rosales

Hi Lizbeth, I liked how you would handle situation 2 because it is not right for colleague acting like this. I think children would just be behaving good only for the cand. Children would get into the habit of expecting a candy everytime they behave good.

2. Jen Longley Post author

Lizbeth — Thanks for your comment. Bringing toys to your favorite children can demonstrate bias. As an ECE professional, it is challenging not to have favorite children though.

6. Araceli Cortez

I believe it is the teachers preference, if they feel that they can be flexible and comfortable in jeans then it is fine. It shouldn’t have rips or any offensive details.

This is not professional because favoring children will make the others feel bad for their actions in class. All children should be seen the same and not favored.

Pick 3 Ethical Dilemmas.
    Your colleague tells the children if they behave or does what she wants them to she will give them candy. She tells them this repeatedly. Later, she holds pieces of candy in front of them to see and then takes it away from them, telling them, “No, you can’t have it,” because they did not behave the way she wanted them to.
    – I will address the concern with my colleague and tell her what about her actions doesn’t seem right.

Dwayne is a kindergartener who is large-for-his-age and uses aggressive behavior that hurts other
    children. His peers are afraid of him, and their parents start to express concern to the program director. You and your colleague feel stressed and tired. You spend so much time helping manage Dwayne that other children are not getting the attention they need.
    -I would bring the family into the concern and another party in the school. We would discuss how this problem can be fixed so both children get the attention they need.

Several families in your class do not celebrate Christmas. You colleague wants to decorate the classroom, have a “Secret Santa” for the children, create art projects based on Christmas.
    -I would make it possible to have winter like projects and Christmas projects so both parties feel secure.

1. Daniela Rosales

Hi Araceli, I agree how wearing jeans is professional as long as it is not ripped. I liked how you would handle situation 6 by setting a meeting that would create a solution for both children getting the attention they need. It is important that all children should receive equal attention.

1. JenniferRamirez

Hey Araceli , I agree that jeans are professional as long as there not ripped and also depends on the dress code provided in the school. For the last dilemma i agree and like how you would involved any winter celebration so all students can participate because than they would not be left out of the activities.

2. Emily Romero

Hi Araceli, I agree that jeans can be professional as long as it has no rips and also how the kids should be the same and not feel like someone is being favored. Great response on dilemma 2, its better to involve parents.

3. Jen Longley Post author

Aracel- — Thanks for your comment. We serve a role models to children, both in our behavior and our clothing. I wonder, is there any other projects the class could do, in addition to ones themed around winter and Christmas?

7. Daniela Rosales

3) Is it professional to take out your cell phone when the children are around? Why?
    – It is not professional to take out your cell pone when the children are around because as a teacher you are responsible to watch the children. A child may want to look at your phone because they see it present in the classroom.
    5) Is it professional to bring small treats for your “favorite” children if the other children don’t know? Why?
    – No, It is not professional to bring small treats for your “favorite” children because one of the children may see you giving another student a treat and then see that they aren’t getting one. It is not fair that one child should receive a treat just cause they are your favorite. All children should be treated equally and wouldn’t want to give a bad impression of you liking one child more than the other.

Pick 3 Ethical Dilemmas:
    Which situations did you pick?
    7.You are creating a book about each of the students in your class. You asked the families to send in pictures of the children throughout their lives to use for the book. Shane’s family has not responded to your request. You see his family during pick-off and politely ask them about photos. They respond, “We don’t have any,” and walk away with Shane.
    9.Several families in your class do not celebrate Christmas. Your colleague wants to decorate the classroom, have a “Secret Santa” for the children, create art projects based on Christmas.
    10.You hear a co-worker make an insulting statement about children and families of a specific ethnic group.

How would you handle the situation if you were the teacher in the classroom? WHY?
    7. I would ask the family if there if it would be okay for me to take a picture of Shane in order for him to be included in my book. If the family said no, then I would ask Shane if he wants to draw a picture of himself in order to part of my book. I wouldn’t want to obey their parents’ wishes but nor do I want shane to be left out from the book, so I would just included the self portrait that Shane created on to the book.
    9. I would schedule a meeting with the families and ask them if there would be any problem of their child participating in Christmas activities that we would be performing. If the parents don’t agree then I would create an activity where children could bring in things that are meaningful to them and show it in front of the classroom. I think Christmas is about giving and sharing meaningful things to your families.
    10. I would tell my co-worker that it is unprofessional for them to insult children and families that come from different backgrounds. We as adults, as teachers, need to respect those around us and not judge them by where they come from. If my co-worker gets upset and continues to talk about it, then I should go to my director and tell them about their behavior.

1. Jasmattie

Hi Daniela I agree with you about the the cell phone, teacher should not use their cell phone during class hours, or when they on duty, only if they have a emergency call then they can ask another teacher to watch the kids and Then take the call.

2. Selanie M Marte

Hey Daniela,

I agree that it is not professional to to have a cell phone out while your’e caring for a child because that child is your responsibility to take care of and if something happens to him/her you will be responsible.
      I also picked number 5 and I see that we had similar responses and I agree that you should not hand out any treats unless it is a group activity and all parents are okay with it. There should also be not special handouts or favorites.

For the ethical Dilemmas,
      #7: Great idea for asking the parents permission if you can take a photo so he can participate in the activity and I also liked that if they said no he can draw a picture.

3. Jen Longley Post author

Daniela — Thanks for your comment. Offering Shane’s family the option to take a current picture for his book is thinking outside of the box. I wonder, how can a program be culturally sustaining regarding Christmas and children who do not celebrate Christmas?

8. Jasmattie

No it’s not professional to wear jeans and go to work because that is not the dress code. You are supposed to wear professional clothes and dress Properly at all times.

It is not professional to talk about your personal life with children, because children may tell another friend or their families and it can result in trouble. Your personal life you suppose to keep to yourself doesn’t tell anyone about your life and what is going on in your life. Work is not for gossiping specially with children. However you can always talk about appropriate fun conversations regarding their routines or their learning. And also you can talk about fun places and tell the kids where they should go for their holiday etc.

It is not professional to use cell phones when you are working and on duty, because educators have to always supervise the children and not use their devices. If it’s important and you got an Emergency call you should ask someone to look the kids and then step outside and receive that Emergency call.

I think is professional to show pictures of my class to my friends. If families gives the authorization to do so. However it is not professional to post pictures online of your class due to the fact that the children’s identity is private and not to be shown on social media. If you want to post stuff about your classroom and the kids you should ask the kids parents or their Consent and if they give their consent then you do so.

I don’t think is professional to bring snacks to your favorite child because this shows favoritism. All students should be treated the same way and nurtured the same way. Don’t give some and not the other that bad.

3 Ethical dilemmas

6- In this situation I would call our boss to join us for a neighborhood walk and also assist us with the child. I would gather all the children for circle time and ask them to line up one by one to go for the neighborhood walk. This could help the child take fresh air, help his mind to be occupied with things. Sometimes children need to be out of the house and have fun time with the teacher and their friends. If the schedule were to be different I would plan an activity for all children to do, such as painting or any other sensory activities and let them have fun. that would help the child to self regulate. This would help the child engage with his peers too. The class would be engaging with each other and learning how to use their hands appropriately and not aggressively. These activities show attention to the whole class. So in this way the children would learn new things and they would interact with one another really well and make friends.

5- in this situation, it is not professional to gossip around about other families. I would speak with my college about it and try to help him about the situation. I would say to him that if he continues to gossip it can cause future problems and would tell him he should stop it. I will also tell his parents what he is doing. And if he did not stop them I would tell my boss. If you are working it’s better to stay professional at all times . To always keep it professional and confidential, and to always respect other families and their privacy, like they respect you.

1. Jen Longley Post author

Jasmattie — Thanks for your comment. As teachers we always want to be our authentic/ true selves in the classroom. We want to keep our personal issues outside of the classroom. If a teacher has experiences that will enhance the curriculum, I wonder, should they being their personal life & experiences into the classroom?

9. Selanie M Marte

Pick 2 professionalism questions to answer below:

No, It is not professional to talk about your personal life with your students or younger children for that matter because that is innapropriate and children do not need to be in adult conversations nor should you discuss any personal problems to them.

No, It is definitely not professional to bring small treats or any treats to your favorite children if the other children don’t know because it is not fair to the other children that are not receiving treats plus their could be food allergies or maybe the children guardians do not allow their kids to eat certain foods because of their culture so it is best not to hand out any treats unless it is an activity for all the students to try certain treats and the family must be contacted to make sure they can participate. All children should also be treated equally and no favorites should be mentioned.

Pick 3 Ethical Dilemmas.

Which situations did you pick?
    5, 8, & 10.

5. One of your coworkers is constantly gossiping about families. He spends most of the work day talking about the families with other staff members. A new family started, Who happens to be his personal friends whom he knows from the community before they enrolled in the center. He has started gossiping about families with this new family, sharing personal and confidential information about other’s families with this new family.

In this situation, I would respectfully tell my coworker to please follow the code of ethics and keep all of the children’s parents matter confidential. Certain things should not be shared with anyone else unless it involves their child and it has been notified by the parents and staff. Please do not share any information with other parents about another parent’s situation. If he continues gossiping to other families with the new family or anyone else ill have to share this matter with my boss.

8. Jermaine is having a birthday party and he invited some members of the class. Some of the families were talking about the party and Michael’s family overheard them talking, but Michael child was not invited to the party. Michael has a disability and has not been invited to any birthday parties. You can tell from facial expressions on Michael’s family they are very upset.

In this situation, I would simply tell Michaels family that I apologize that the invitation was not extended to him and he should not have been excluded because of his disability. Unfortunately children can invite whoever they would like to attend any events outside of school. The only thing I can do that might lighten the situation is to form some activities in the classroom to show my students that it is not okay to exclude anyone because of what they look like, talk, or interact with others.

10. You hear a co-worker make an insulting statement about children and families of a specific ethnic group.

In this situation, I would tell my coworker that it is not okay to insult anyone especially children in their families when that is our job. Our job is to teach children and help them prepare for the real world. We care for children because that is our passion. It is very disrespectful to talk about children and their families especially if they are a specific race. It is very rude and that conversation should have not been spoken about.

1. Jen Longley Post author

Selanie — Thanks for your comment. We want to be our authentic selves as teachers. I wonder, if a teacher has life experience that connects to the curriculum, can they share their personal life with the children?

10. Meliza Almonte

1. Is it professional to talk about your personal life with the children? Why?
    I say it is not professional because they are kids and even tho they won’t understand much they might say the wrong thing. Also, they are children and they should not be involved nor hear an adult’s conversation.

2. Is it professional to bring small treats for your “favorite” children if the other children don’t know? Why?

No, because the other kids will question what they did wrong to not deserve the treat. The kids that are being given the treats may laugh at the others or question why their classmates are not getting treats. Every kid should be looked at and treated the same.

5. I would first get confirmation that this is happening for me to approach them. I would ask them to be professional and to keep the gossip out of the institution because it is not appropriate behavior. Also, families trust staff members to be confidential with their children’s lives.

10. Talk to them directly about how the behavior isn’t professional and not tolarated. Also, speak to the director in case thie behavior gets worst so they understand it is a serious manner.

1. Jen Longley Post author

Meliza — Thanks for your comment. As teachers, we want to bring our authentic selves to the classroom. I wonder, if a teacher has personal experience that will enhance the the curriculum, should they share that info/ materials with the class? Which Ethical Dilemma did you choose as your 3rd one?

11. JenniferRamirez

It is not professional to talk about your personal life with the children because it is not there business nor should they know what teachers go through.

first of all it isn’t professional to bring them snacks or treats without parent permission. second if you are bringing treats there is no favorites everyone should be treated equally no favorites because it can make students feel bad and feel lonely.

ETHICAL DILEMMAS

2. Your colleague tells the children if they behave or does what she wants them to she will give them candy. She tells them this repeatedly. Later, she holds pieces of candy in front of them to see and then takes it away from them, telling them, “No, you can’t have it,” because they did not behave the way she wanted them to.
    I would talk to my colleague separately and tell her no that is not how it works she can either give them all candy for trying there best or give no candy at all. I would definitely talk to her nicely and tell her that is wasn’t nice to do that.
    I would talk to her personally and tell her that she should not say meaning things,she needs to respect l and if she continues than I would have to talk to my supervisor.
    7. You are creating a book about each of the students in your class. You asked the families to send in pictures of the children throughout their lives to use for the book. Shane’s family has not responded to your request. You see his family during pick-off and politely ask them about photos. They respond, “We don’t have any,” and walk away with Shane.
    I would change my lesson to having the children draw there family instead of asking for there picture.

1. Jen Longley Post author

Jenni — Thanks for your comment. As teachers, we want to bring our authentic selves to the classroom. I wonder, if a teacher has personal experience that will enhance the the curriculum, should they share that info/ materials about their personal life with the class?

12. Emily Romero

3.Is it professional to take out your cell phone when the children are around? Why?
    It is unprofessional to take out your cell phone when the children are around because all your attention should go towards the kids and you can be on your phone on your lunch break.

It is unprofessional because as a teacher you need to make every kid feel equal and not any less, if you’re gonna bring treats for a student you might as well bring for all the other too because they are also important.

Dilemmas
    6. Dwayne is a kindergartener who is large-for-his-age and uses aggressive behavior that hurts other children. His peers are afraid of him, and their parents start to express concern to the program director. You and your colleague feel stressed and tired. You spend so much time helping manage Dwayne that other children are not getting the attention they need.
    We could have a talk with Dwayne’s parents and see if theres a way they could also help him at home so we give every kid attention and not put them to the side, or I could focus on Dwayne while my colleague interacts with the other kids.

9. Several families in your class do not celebrate Christmas. You colleague wants to decorate the classroom, have a “Secret Santa” for the children, create art projects based on Christmas.
    I would talk to my colleague and see if theres an alternative to that because we should respect the families, I would suggest that we let the kids choose what they’ll like to do in class, we could still decorate the classroom but not with a christmas theme.

I would have a talk with my co-worker that if they dont stop that behavior they will be remove from my classroom because they should disrespect children and their families, its unprofessional and unacceptable to work with someone like that.

1. Sarah Hicks

I liked your answer for your ethicsl dilemma about being treats to school for your favorite kids. I also think it is important to never make a child feel less important than thier peers.

2. Jen Longley Post author

Emily — Thanks for your comment. Respecting the beliefs and traditions of all children and families in important in a classroom. Being culturally sustaining involves honoring & respecting all cultures, not forcing anyone to abide by the dominant culture.

13. Sarah Hicks

1st Classroom:

In the first classroom, the math activities seemed very immersive and hands on. At one point the students take turns pressing numbers on the smart board and they all seem to be excited and interested in the assignment,. While the students are measuring they are getting to use materials on their own and seem to have lots of independence. They are also getting the chance to make relationships with their classmates.

2nd Classroom:

In the second classroom, the second graders were measuring with manipulative materials and seemed to enjoy the tactile activity while learning about math. The teacher asked open-ended questions that encouraged learning and observation. The teacher also appeared to have close relationships with the students and personalized all of her interactions.

3rd Classroom:

In the third classroom the teacher starts off the class with a clapping pattern to engage the children and gain their attention. Then each child got a turn to make their own pattern which encouraged community relationships with the classroom and hands on learning.

4th Classroom:

In the fourth classroom, the teacher had the kids help him take attendance and in turn practice their counting and arithmetic. He also asked open ended questions and allowed the students to all give their own answers and think independently.

Ethical Dilemmas:

It is not professional to wear jeans to work because you want to set an example for the students and show them that you are professional and establish that you are an authority figure they can trust and depend on.
    It is not professional to talk about your personal life with children because it doesn’t facilitate their learning or is necessary. It could also lead to concerning parents and unnecessary regulation. It is better to choose to keep work and personal life separate.

14. Sarah Hicks

Professionalism:

Ethical Dilemas:
    1. Angelique is in your class and her brothers, Tomas and Miguel, are in other classes in the school. Their grandmother is now picking them up at the end of the day. You have noticed that the grandmother is having a hard time handling the three children. The children do not seem to be listening to her. From the classroom window you have observed that the children: refuse to hold their grandmother’s hand when crossing the street; one day Angelique ran into the street and was almost hit by a car; Tomas runs away from his grandmother, dashing down the block; and Miguel hits his grandmother and siblings.
    • I would communicate with the parent that the grandmother seems to need additional assistance with the kids and to reach out if there is anything I can do to help them.
    • I would pull this colleague aside and express the importance of trust and maintaining positive relationships with the students without any tricks or dishonesty.
    3. The Smith and Jones families in your class have approached you regarding the other two teachers in your team. The families are offended when the other teachers use their home language in the classroom, which the families do not understand it and think it is rude. The families are also upset because their children have begun use a few words in the other language, which the families do not understand.
    • I would assure the families that its not intended to be rude and hearing another language is greatly beneficial to their child’s development and can foster neural connections and increased synapses in the brain for further learning. I would also express that being exposed to another language can also support acceptance of all people and build community.

1. Jen Longley Post author

Sarah — Thanks for your comment. Your conversation with the Smith & Jones family capitalizes on how exposure to different languages supports young children’s development. When young children are exposed to different cultures & languages they learn cultural competence and cultural fluency. As teachers, we want to bring our authentic selves to the classroom. I wonder, if a teacher has personal experience that will enhance the the curriculum, should they share that info/ materials about their personal life with the class?

15. Ashley Orozco

————–Pick 2 professionalism questions to answer——————–
    I believe that it is not professional to take out my cellphone when the children are around because we’re supposed to be looking out for them. We shouldn’t have our phones out in our workplace unless it’s required.

I believe it’s not professional to show pictures of the children in my class to my friends because first of all, we shouldn’t have had our phones out. Secondly, we shouldn’t be taking pictures of the children on our phone at all.

———————Pick 3 Ethical Dilemmas——————————
    Which situations did you pick?
    The situations I picked were 2, 4, and 10.

Situation 2: I would let my colleague know that what she’s doing is not a good way to get children to behave. It just gets the children’s hopes up only to disappointed when they don’t receive candy. I would talk to her about using other methods to get the children to h=behave.

Situation 4: First, I would call the police as soon as possible. I would let the police know what’s going on and tell them the child has an allergy to peanuts and he has his Epi-Pen with him. I would describe that Michael doesn’t look good and ask what I should do next.

Situation 10: I would report it to my boss immediately. What my colleague said would be completely unprofessional as a teacher.

1. Jen Longley Post author

Ashley — Thanks for your comment. For situation #4 (I am glad you picked a hard one!) calling emergency services/ 911 and asking them for guidance is a sound decision. For situation #10, I wonder what would happen if you spok ewith your colleague before going to your supervisor?

16. Akera Phillip

I think it depends on the teacher and if they feel more comfortable. As long as it’s plane jeans, with no rips, but a lot of teachers I know usually don’t wear jeans

Honestly, I feel like this question shouldn’t have to be asked. That produces favoritism, which tends to make kids feel left out and not as special as the child you’re giving the candy to. And even if the other children doesn’t know, it still doesn’t make it okay because now the child you’re giving the candy to think they’re more special/ better than everyone else. You start to hear, “why didn’t I get a candy” “how come they get a candy?” “it’s not fair!”

Pick 3 Ethical Dilemmas.

I pull the co worker to the side and let her know that that was unacceptable and report her to the principal or whoever’s in a high position that could handle it the right way.

I would reach out the proper way once they drop Shane off back to school, and if they say or give me the same answer, I’ll do a special project with him. We could probably use names instead of pictures and he can draw pictures of the family instead, well of those he could remember

9. Several families in your class do not celebrate Christmas. You colleague wants to decorate the classroom, have a “Secret Santa” for the children, create art projects based on Christmas,

I tell co worker that we can’t do that because are singling out other children who don’t participate/ celebrate Christmas, so we must not decorate the classroom with Christmas trees or gift boxes, but maybe snow flakes and snowmen.

1. Jen Longley Post author

Akera — Thanks for your comment. I ask these questions because I have experienced/ witnessed these scenarios during my 20+ year career working with in ECE. Some are obvious and some are more challenging. We should not bring treats to “favorite” children — but you will have “favorites” as an ECE teacher.

17. elizabeth hauter

No.because you have to treat all the students equally.
    No, because your personal life has nothing to do with your role as an educator. And you are in this place to do your job.
    No,because it is unprofessional a teacher must maintain the confidentiality and privacy of each student.
    Pick 3 ETHICAL DILEMMAS

I will talk to coworker that this behavior is not a ethic and we as educator we should respect all ethic group. If this behavior continues I will speak to my advisor.

8. Jermaine is having a birthday party and he invited some members of the class. Some of the families were talking about the party and Michael’s family overheard them talking, but Michael child was not invited to the party. Michael has a disability and has not been invited to any birthday parties. You can tell from the facial expressions on Michael’s family they are very upset.
    I will not be involved in this situation, because it’s a personal decision.

I will create the book and include any pictures I have of Shane’s.

1. Jen Longley Post author

Elizabeth — Thanks for your comment. As teachers, we want to bring our authentic selves to the classroom. I wonder, if a teacher has personal experience that will enhance the the curriculum, should they share that info/ materials about their personal life with the class?

18. Kiara Marin

1. Is it professional to show pictures of the children in your class to your friends? Why? A- That is a unprofessional because first and foremost the children in your class their parents have not given you consent to record or take picture of their kids! That’s a form of HIPPA violation, also even if they did give you consent I’m sure you should have take their pictures in a school device not your personal phone. Now you do not knows who these days you can get yourself a court case by doing that and it wouldn’t be good for you nor the school you work for. The kids are your day to day priority within those 4 walls not your friends for them to see them.
    2. Is it professional to bring small treats for your “favorite” children if the other children don’t know? Why? No it is not because you should not have a favorite child because then that isolates the other children and could hurt their feelings. Another thing is children can be allergic to anything now a days and you can think that you brought in something that the child isn’t allergic to but I’m the snack could have something in it that the child is allergic to. Another thing is that, that child can feel as if they are different from the others and start using that as a way to make the other kids feel bad or bullied. Even if you think that it’s harmless children pick up on those kind of things and use it for the advantage. You should never put yourself nor your peers at risk like that.

Ethical Dilemmas:
    1. Several families in your class do not celebrate Christmas.  You colleague wants to decorate the classroom, have a “Secret Santa” for the children, create art projects based on Christmas,  
    A- so me personally I would let my colleagues know that we can not have a single Christmas celebration because not everyone celebrates Christmas. So therefore we can do a celebration for every holiday that the kids in our class celebrate in their culture. So we should go around the classroom and ask what holidays for they celebrate if not Christmas. Now if every child says Christmas then we can do so if not we can still do the secret Santa just call it something different like a exchange of gifs or tokens of appreciation.

A- I would tell my higher ups because I wouldn’t want somebody talking about my kids or families like that. Also as a teacher you should hold yourself to a higher expectation then others. You have to carry yourself in a certain manner and that isn’t okay talking about the kids and their families.

19. Gina

2. I believe it depends on the circumstances, if what you’re talking about refers back to the lesson, there’s no harm in drawing from your own experiences. However, it must be age-appropriate and shouldn’t go off-topic. Other than that, your personal life stays personal.

5. I think that it’s unfair to the other children. No child should be left out and only giving gifts or treats to kids you favor is rude. All children should be treated equally and this makes the children feel left out or unimportant.

Ethical Dilemmas:
    1. I would tell my co-worker to include holidays other than Christmas to make other students feel apart of the holiday celebrations. Christmas isn’t the only holiday and shouldn’t get all the attention. Asking the children what they celebrate can make it more interesting, adding in parts of different cultures into the mix. I would make sure my coworker includes all children and make them feel seen and heard.

10. I would report it to my principal because there’s no tolerance for any type of racist remarks or bullying of any kind. Children look up to you and having them hear such derogatory statements is unacceptable, nobody with a mindset like that should be teaching children at all.

2. I would speak to my coworker and explain the importance of not breaking promises with the students. Children will not always behave and going back on your word will make them feel like they can’t trust you.

20. Kayla

It’s ok to wear them if its comfortable for you and if they don’t have any rips.

It is unprofessional to even take pictures of the students. Unless the parent gives consent you should not take pictures of them. But even if you do get the consent from the parents you still shouldn’t just in case someone changes their mind or tries to sue you.

5) I would handle this by speaking with my co-worker and let them know that they can not be telling parents business with his friend and if it continues I would have to report it to our boss.

1) I would handle this by telling my boss what I seen and ask to set up a meeting with the parents to see if anyone else can pick up the kids.

7) I would handle this by having the kids the next day draw out some picks that they remember doing with they family that way that one stuff don’t miss out on any activities and they will be apart of the book.

21. melany

1. Don’t think its professional to take your phone out when the children are around because then they might start to think that its normal or might get distracted and would want to see what you are doing or get jealous that you can use your phone while they are doing their work.
    2. I don’t think its professional to talk about your personal life to your children because they shouldn’t really be listening to your adult problems and they wont even understand you so its like whats the point.
    1. I chose 4. I would handle this by calling 911 because if I try to insert the epi pen and something happens to the kid I can get fired but 911 will be able to handle the kid way better than me.
    2. I chose 10. I would let the co worker know that that is inappropriate and not acceptable.
    3. I chose 9. I would tell them not to because some students don’t celebrate Christmas so It wouldn’t really be fair to them.