Embracing the Natural Body in F*ck Your Diet: And Other Things My Thighs Tell Me by Chloé Hilliard

book cover of F*ck Your Diet by Chloé HilliardF*ck Your Diet: And Other Things My Thighs Tell Me is a memoir written by Chloé Hilliard. This book is about a young black woman, sharing her life experiences, growing up as a “Fat” Black woman in 1990s–2000s Brooklyn. She focuses on telling her many ways on how to lose weight, whether it’s through buying expensive equipment, going on hundred of different diets, changing her dietary lifestyle or even diet pills.

Throughout this, she realizes and also explains the many ways on how the American system influences Americans’ diet, through economic and social status. In the end, she showed some self-love and care and embraces her natural body.

What I enjoyed about the book is that I could really relate to it. Growing up, I was always naturally big and tall. I was always larger than the majority of the girls and even some guys throughout my life. I’ve always been kinda insecure about that growing up. I began to worry about my weight at a very young age because everywhere I went there are always a bunch of skinny girls my age showing off their happy lives and being admired by everyone, while all the thick sisters were treated way different.

But after growing up and being introduced to other different bodies, different body positives movements and communities, and with a little time, I learned to love and value myself more. And this book has made me realize that there’s a shit ton of problems in America that causes this type of behavior. That the American government and corporate systems has a lot to play in people’s diets and how they view themselves. A lot of highly saturated, fried and sugared foods are going into people’s bodies on a daily basis, and this book has really made me aware of how our lifestyle and way of living can be affected by that.

I would most definitely recommend this book for everyone to read and to be able to understand how everything in your lifestyle can affect your body.

Get the book! Check out F*ck Your Diet: And Other Things My Thighs Tell Me by Chloé Hilliard at BMCC’s Library, the New York Public Library, the Brooklyn Public Library, or the Queens Public Library.

author avatar for Linda, showing cherry blossoms

About the author Linda is a young Brooklyn native who developed an interest in books during the pandemic. Her creative mind makes her an avid reader of young adult, fiction, and romance novels.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.