SCROLL ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE END
Socialization and Personal Development: Society and Groups / ZOOM / BB CLASS
RESPOND TO ANY 2 QUESTIONS BELOW AND QUESTION 4 (TOTAL 3)
- Why do groups exist and What are the types of groups that exist in a society?
- How does group size influence group structure? The concept of hate crimes has been linked to in-groups and out-groups. Can you think of an example where people have been excluded or tormented due to this kind of group dynamic?
- Where do you prefer to shop, eat out, or grab a cup of coffee? Large chains like Walmart or smaller retailers? Starbucks or a local restaurant? What do you base your decisions on? Does this section change how you think about these choices? Why, or why not?
- Share some of your social group affiliation and roles with a group. What is the purpose of this group and what role do they play in terms of your personal development, socialization or what contributions has this group made to the community or society at large?
Read Openstax Ch. 6 on Groups and Organizations and Society and Groups
- Groups and Organizations
2) Social Groups (crash course)
3) Formal Organizations
4) The Sociology of Groups of Organizations