Promoting research and scholarly activity among faculty and students

BARS 2023

The Mirror Dimension

The idea of parallel non-interacting universes

I hope my viewers can come to their own conclusions about what these patterns and shapes remind them of.

AstroArtfinal

Author:

Nija Devries

Mentor:

Prof V. Znamenskiy

Abstract:

• The Mirror Dimension is my artistic vision of the idea of parallel non-interacting universes. Each universe exists as individually colored lines parallel, varying in size and curvature. By connecting these lines with a silver lining provides an interesting pattern of parallelograms, triangles, and other shapes. The whole reveals an optical illusion of numerous rooms descending or an oddly cut diamond. Affectionately named Mirror dimension, the lines in the drawing are imperfect to purposely reflect the nature of our universe to me. Kepler discovered planets move in ellipses instead of perfectly circular orbits, so no particular attention was made to straightening each line. 
  • This artwork represents my idea of a universe that you can see but not knowingly interact with, like your reflection. This optical illusion looks like a tunnel of mirrors and gives me the surreal effect of a fun house, which may look different to others. My artistic style is abstract and just as much an adventure for me as the picture slowly reveals itself.
  • For my materials, I used a Blick Studio Drawing Pencil, a Blick Studio Drawing Pad 11×14, various colored markers, and a light blue Sharpie. I emphasized the parallel lines and placed each color in spectrum order.
  • I hope my viewers can come to their own conclusions about what these patterns and shapes remind them of.