Keep in mind our Online Discussion Guidelines:
http://openlab.bmcc.cuny.edu/pol-100-0502-fall-2024-introduction-to-american-government/online-discussion-guidelines/

Instructions for completing this discussion board assignment:

a) Identify which discussion question you are answering in your comment by placing the relevant number at the start of your answer. For example:

2. Crime has often been used as a form of social control by…

4. Michelle Alexander’s argument about segregation…

b) Respond to one other student’s comments.

NOTE: As usual, follow the guidelines from previous discussion board assignments, in answering by creating a new post…

1. Do you notice any similarities in the way social class is discussed in readings 4.1 and 4.2? Do you notice any differences in the way these two readings DIFFERENTIATE between social classes?
  2. Pick the station closest to where you live. Using the concepts from Reading 4.1, what social class tends to live in your neighborhood? Are you surprised (or not) by the answer? Do you feel it is an accurate representation of the people living in your neighborhood?
  3. Based on Reading 4.2, do you notice a general pattern about social classes in NYC?

9 thoughts on “Discussion Board 4.1

1. Crime is often used to control society by influencing, intimidating, or coercing individuals and communities into complying with specific values or power structures. Throughout history, organized crime, political regimes, and state apparatuses have used unlawful practices to maintain the status quo or subdue opposition.
    Reading 4.2 highlights the pronounced inequality and geographical segregation of social classes in New York City. It discusses how social mobility is constrained due to systemic barriers, educational disparities, challenges in finding affordable housing, and limited employment opportunities for lower-income residents. The text emphasizes the need for policies to reduce these disparities and promote a more equitable urban environment.

2. 1. In the readings 4.1 and 4.2 I have noticed some similarities between the way social class is discussed in the readings. For example, the main way they discussed social class was by explaining the wealth of each social class and what classifies them to be in their social class. The main point in the readings were discussing the social class income. A difference on the way both readings discuss social class is by 4.1 discussing how education level plays another role on social class.
    2. The social class that lives around my neighborhood is mostly middle class. Honestly I am surprised because walking around my neighborhood makes it seem like it is lower class based on the surrounding. The data could possibly accurate in my area but inaccurate in another area. I don’t think that the data in all is accurate.
    3. A general social class pattern that I have noticed in the reading 4.2 is that even the other neighborhoods around me have similar social class as mine and it is all measured by income on families.

3. 1. Both readings emphasize income as a key determinant of social class and highlight geographical influences and stark inequalities. The NYC subway map visually represents income disparities across different subway stops, providing a localized view of social class in New York City. In contrast, the general discussion on social class is more conceptual, considering a range of factors like wealth, education, and occupation to define social stratification. While the subway map offers specific data for an urban context, the broader discussion applies to various regions and populations, focusing on theoretical aspects of social mobility and inequality.
    2. Living near Canal Street in Chinatown, I find myself in a culturally rich neighborhood with a predominantly immigrant population. The median household income here is relatively low, reflecting the working-class nature of the area. This isn’t surprising to me, given Chinatown’s history as a hub for immigrant communities and small businesses. Despite some gentrification, the neighborhood retains its unique character and strong sense of community. I feel this representation accurately captures the economic activities and demographic makeup of the people living around me.
    3. Based on Reading 4.2, there are noticeable patterns about social classes in NYC. Higher income levels generally lead to higher self-identification in social class, with those earning $150,000 or more often identifying as upper-middle class. Education also plays a significant role, as college graduates are less likely to identify as working class and more likely to see themselves as upper-middle class. Age influences social class perception, with older individuals tending to identify with higher social classes compared to younger people. Additionally, race and residence impact social class identification, with whites and those living in urban or suburban areas more likely to identify with higher social classes than nonwhites and rural residents. These patterns reflect the diverse population and economic disparities present in NYC.

4. 1.The similarities that are discussed in reading 4.1 and 4.2 is the way social class is distinguished from each other in New York city. In both readings we can identify that it speaks about higher ,middle ,and lower class in which are identified by economic status . The difference that I noticed is that reading 4.1 adds educational level to the social class but in 4.2 we can see that it only distinguishes class based on economic states, most specifically your yearly income.

2.I’m not surprised about this graph because it distinguished brooklyn,queens,and manhattan based on income which is fair because most people that live by soho or west village definitely have a higher income than a person like me that lives in brooklyn .In the graph that Professor Artinian showed of train F we can see that mostly the graph it’s really high in manhattan compared to queens where the income doesn’t go above 50k ; in delancey street the graph gets low because most people that live by delancey street in manhattan right next to the williamsburg bridge live in projects but crossing the bridge towards williamsburg where the Domino park is located the income since to be higher since there’s no projects around that area.( the graph wasn’t working for me so I used what the professor showed)

3.After reading 4.1 and 4.2 I noticed that social class is based more on economic power, basically on how deep are your pockets .I noticed that the wealthier communities are around more prestige neighborhoods of new york city compared to the lower class communities are at lower income areas of new york city like brownsville , delancey street,dyckman ect.This graphs emphasizes how subway stations distinguish economic disparities and social class around new york city.

5. 1.The similarities that are discussed in reading 4.1 and 4.2 is the way social class is distinguished from each other in New York city. In both readings we can identify that it speaks about higher ,middle ,and lower class in which are identified by economic status . The difference that I noticed is that reading 4.1 adds educational level to the social class but in 4.2 we can see that it only distinguishes class based on economic states, most specifically your yearly income.
    2.I’m not surprised about this graph because it distinguished brooklyn,queens,and manhattan based on income which is fair because most people that live by soho or west village definitely have a higher income than a person like me that lives in brooklyn .In the graph that Professor Artinian showed of train F we can see that mostly the graph it’s really high in manhattan compared to queens where the income doesn’t go above 50k ; in delancey street the graph gets low because most people that live by delancey street in manhattan right next to the williamsburg bridge live in projects but crossing the bridge towards williamsburg where the Domino park is located the income since to be higher since there’s no projects around that area.(the graph wasn’t working for me so I used what the professor showed)