INSTRUCTIONS ON DEADLINES

Welcome to POL 100! In this first discussion board of our course, let’s introduce ourselves to each other, by doing the following:

1. Create your introduction by entering text in the comments box below. When you finish writing your introduction, click the “POST COMMENT” button. In your introduction, tell us your name, what is your major (if you have chosen one), as well as a bit about yourself. Things you might consider sharing include: what are you interested in studying at BMCC, what are your plans after BMCC, interests that you have, etc.
  2. After entering your own post, respond to at least one classmate by elaborating on something that they wrote that resonated and connected with you.

53 thoughts on “Discussion Board 1: Class Introductions

1. Hello, my name is Aniyah. I am a Criminal Justice major at BMCC. I am most interested in studying psychology, psychology is super fascinating because I love being able to understand how the human brain works, as well as why we behave a certain way depending on our circumstances. My plans after I have graduated will be attending John Jay College of Criminal Justice. As a first year student at BMCC, I am both excited and anxious to start my freshman year of college.

1. Hello, my name is Shaniqua. I am a political science major at BMCC. I am interested in learning the politics aspect of this major. I am intrigued with the system how the government and politicians work hand in hand. I plan to continue my education at John Jay College of Criminal Justice. I am fascinated with learning . As an undergraduate I am anxious because this is a new journey for me . I’m excited to see where it takes me

2. Hello, my name is Asma Bseiso, it’s very nice to meet you all. My major will be liberal arts but I am steering into criminal justice by next year or most definitely after finishing up my associates. My plans in BMCC is to study law and what brings them into place in life. This is so I am able to become a police officer in my near future once I graduate college. My interests are helping people when they are in need. Thank you for hearing my statement out. It was very nice meeting everyone and I hope to hear back from a few fellow peers.

3. Hello, I’m Tatiana. I study early childhood education, which has been a challenging program for me over the years. But I have really fell in love with it.This is my final year at Bmcc, and I am looking forward to graduating this fall.After I finish at BMCC, I plan to attend City College to pursue a bachelor’s and master’s degree in education. Although I am eager to teach preschool, I may end up teaching high school instead due to my current experience working with high school students. I have a passion for sports, specifically basketball, as I coach for a boys’ high school team. Additionally, I will be welcoming a baby boy in November, and im very excited to see what this semester has to offer!

1. Hello Tatiana! I’m Stephanie nice to meet you. Congratulations on this being your final year at BMCC and congratulations on welcoming your new born. I know college can be challenging but seeing people like you getting close to graduating motivates me to stay focus and keep going. Im glad you decided to aim for your masters it shows how dedicated you are to pursuing your degree. I also heard city college is a great! Wish you the best of luck.

2. hi I’m ani ,congradulations on welcoming a baby boy in November . Your words are motivational I can see your hard work and dedication with just the fact that you kept going even with the obstacles and challenges.i don’t know you but im happy to know that you’re aiming towards your masters degree. nice to meet you Tatiana

3. Hi Tatiana!

First and foremost, I just want to wish you an early Congratulations on your new bundle of joy! Your post stuck out because I am always looking for peers who are educators as well. It truly is blessing to work with the smaller Pre-K children, but it is even more rewarding working with older students that are able to pick your brain, and really push you to be more efficient and building rapport to ensure a positive learning experience. This is such an exciting chapter of your life, wishing you all the best on your future endeavors. I hope to connect more with you this semester. -Dom

4. Hi Tatiana, I’m also studying Early Childhood Education! It is challenging but we got this! It’s definitely something you have to have a passion for. Also congratulations on your baby boy soon to come! Sending you all blessings!

4. Hi everyone, my name is Alizia. I am currently majoring in early childhood education. I have worked in the education field for many years and recently had a shift in my career path. I am now working in the field of social work. This change has opened up my mind to new possibilities, so after obtaining my associates here I plan on transferring to Lehman college to pursue my bachelors degree in Social Work. I am a mom to a 4 year old and I am excited to learn and get one step closer to my goal of obtaining my degree to improve the quality of life for my daughter and myself.

1. Hi Alizia, I am happy to hear that you are pursing your degrees in a major that you love. Changes can be challenging but I believe in you and so does your daughter. I also have a kid and I plan to improve and open many opportunities for us. Thank you for sharing and I hope you have a great semester.

5. Hello all, my name is Marvin and i am studying criminal justice. I have one semester left then i will transferring to continue my education. Things i like to do for fun is read, write short stories, and i love horror films. Hope you all have a successful semester!

1. Hey Marvin, I think criminal justice is an awesome major. One of my friends graduated with a Criminal Justice major and enjoyed learning about it. Do you know what school you will be transferring to after you next semester?

1. Hey hector, yes it is extremely interesting taking deep dives into our justice system and laws and heavy brainstorming on how to make it better! i enjoy it. Oh and i will be attending john jay at the end of next semester. Good to you this fall and onwards!

2. Nice to meet you Marvin! It’s exciting that you’re close to finishing your degree and preparing for the next phase. Since we’re both studying criminal justice, I’m sure we have a lot in common. Are you considering transferring to John Jay, or do you have other plans in mind?

1. Pleasure to meet you as well Eman, and i’m sure we do! 🙂
        Yes that is that plan to go to john jay and pursue a dual degree then a master plan after that. If you like i could tell you all about it, lets connect and good luck this semester!!

6. Hello, My name is Hector and I’m currently at BMCC as a Non-degree student from Baruch. At Baruch, my degree was in Accounting. One thing about me is that I enjoy watching sports; and that my favorite sport to watch live is baseball.

7. Hello everyone, My name is Melissa Boatswain I’m a student at BMCC studying Early childhood education. I’m also an assistant teacher I love working with children being in their company is so wonderful I also love seeing their growth. I love spending time alone I love my family love music and I love outdoor nature walks.

8. Hello everyone, my name is Stephanie and this is my second semester at BMCC. I am currently majoring in Science for health because I am undecided on what I want to do. I am thinking about going to a four year college after getting my associate’s to either pursue Nursing or Radiology. My interests outside of school are spending time with friends and family, fitness and going out to do fun activities in NYC. Im excited to see how my second semester goes at BMCC and it’s very nice to meet you all.

1. Hi Stephanie ,congratulations on completing your first semester, I wish you all the luck on your endeavors. I was also undecided at time, but i chose my passion which was theater. Following your heart isn’t dissapointing when you believe in what you’re doing. And it sound like your on the right track. Nursing and radiology are great professions. I’m also interested in those fields . Stay motivated and focused and you can do anything you put your mind to. Have a great semester.

2. Hi Stephanie, nice to virtually meet you!
      I am also majoring in Science for health and I think it’s a great program that gives you a broad range of career options to choose from if you decide to transfer to a 4 year college after finishing your associate degree at BMCC. Good luck!

9. Hi everyone! I’m Eman, but I go by Emany. I’m 24 years old. I’m majoring in Criminal Justice because I’ve always been interested in how the legal system works and its impact on society. Once I graduate, I plan on transferring to John Jay College to further my studies and deepen my understanding of the field. I’m passionate about pursuing a career where I can make a positive difference, whether it’s through law enforcement, legal advocacy, or policy reform. Outside of academics, I enjoy traveling, which helps me stay balanced and focused. I’m looking forward to getting to know all of you and working together this semester!

10. Hello everyone, nice to meet you all. My name is Jessica Guinea Chamorro, I am 23 years old and a mom to a 2 year old. I had left college for 4 years and decided to come back and finish my career. I came back to college for myself and my son to give us a better future. After graduating BMCC, I plan on furthering my studies at John Jay college. Outside of school I am a full time employee. I love spending time with my family and friends. I wish you all best of luck and to having a great semester.

1. Hello Jessica. Congratulations on becoming a Mother! I’m also a mom, but my boys are already fully grown and have moved on to other avenues of their lives. I’ve also returned back to college to pursue my degree. I wish you the best of luck on your semester and I know that you’ll be able to pull through!

11. Hi everyone, my name is Anivel but most people call me ani.I’m interested on studying in BMCC due to the great support system they have. I’m currently majoring in criminal justice and planning to get into law school after receiving my bachelor’s degree.I’m passionate about pursuing a career where I can feel complete with myself; Studying law has always been something that i’m interested in and many people has told me how hard it is to become an attorney but nothing it’s impossible.As a person I’m very dedicated and a hard worker with a very jolly personally. Outside of school my interest are spending time with my family, reading or watching crime shows, and trying different experiences in NYC .

12. Hi everyone, my name is Helena. I’m currently majoring in Criminal Justice and am looking forward to becoming an attorney in the future. Once finishing my semesters into BMCC, I’m hoping to finish at John Jay to receive my bachelors and then moving forward to law school. I am planning on going to Georgetown or Boston University. I am currently working at a bank in which I have made great connections with clients who currently are attorneys and have law firms, which give me great aspects into the law field. They’re very helpful in providing support and tips as many of them know I’m currently studying law. Fun fact about me is I love to go to the gym and also love going to concerts. Can’t wait to see what the semester brings. Hope everyone has a good semester! 🙂

13. Hello, everyone. My name is Safayatul Islam. I am an accounting major who graduated from Baruch in the Spring semester. I am taking this class as a non-degree student to fulfill my 150-credit requirement for the CPA exam. Some of my hobbies include reading, watching movies and series, and traveling. I look forward to having a great semester with everyone.

14. Hello everyone, My name is Ife Francis and I’m a returning to BMCc after a fithteen year break. I began my studies in the Theater which I enjoyed very much. But as time went on I found myself working in the mental health sector of human services. I changed my major and focused in the area, but, unfortunately I wasn’t able to complete it, So I’m back with the strength of oxa to give it another go. Attending a four year collage for nursing, or radiology is my ultimate goal for success.

15. Hello everyone. Nice to meet you all here. My name is Nan and I am majoring in Psychology. I have one semester left to graduate and I am planning to join City College for my Bachelor. Outside of school, I am full time employee and also love to cook my traditional food at home. I enjoy listening music and my favourite is pop music. I look forward to having a fantastic semester with you all.

1. Hello Nan, it’s nice to meet you. I am also planning to transfer to City college. I have heard great things about it. Good luck for your final semester and transfer application.
      Unfortunately class is online otherwise I would have loved to try your traditional food as well!

16. Hello class!
    My name is Geva Frenkel and I am in the Associate in Science: Science for Health program here in BMCC. I am 33, married to a wonderful and supporting husband and have 2 Shiba dogs named Blintzes and Babka.
    I am a professional chef/cook and graduated from The Institute of Culinary Education (ICE) back in 2021. I am also a certified Health Coach after graduating the Integrative Health Coach Program in the Institute For Integrative Nutrition (IIN). I choose this major and joined BMCC, because I wish to elevate my career path become a registered dietitian.
    I immigrated to the USA recently (after marrying my husband), and choose POL100 as my elective course because I have really little understanding about how the American Government runs, and I believe it’s very important for me to know more about it. I look forward for this class and excited to have the opportunity to study this important topic.

17. Hello Professor, and classmates! It’s a pleasure to meet you.
    My name is Osama Farooq. I am an international student from Pakistan. This is my third semester at BMCC. My major is Data Science. It is a new but challenging course. My plans after graduation is transferring to City College CUNY for my Bachelor’s degree. Aside from school, I work at the Tribeca Performance Arts Centre. It’s been a great experience for me going to school in New York and working with people from all around the world. I enjoy trying South Asian cuisines with my friends and family. Excited to learn from everyone here.

18. Hello everyone! My name is Suhaila. I am in my second and final year as a Science for Health major at BMCC—post-graduation I plan to continue my education at a 4-year university. I aim to have a career in the medical field although I’m unsure about the specifics. I chose POL 100 as one of my elective courses to better understand our government’s ins and outs. I look forward to learning from this class!

19. Hello everyone! My name is Yaroslava, I am 18 years old and this is my second year at BMCC. I came from Ukraine and have been living in the US for two years now. My major is Digital Marketing, all my life I have enjoyed working with social networks and promoting them, I am also interested in photography and video. After BMCC, I plan to complete my bachelor’s degree. I also chose the American Government course to better understand the country where I live and for general development. Good luck to everyone in the semester!

20. My name is Dominique, preferably Dom. I am a freshman Psychology major, and sought to be, BCBA. I currently function as a teacher assistant in an ABA based elementary school for children on the autism spectrum. On my free time, I enjoy spending quality time with family and friends, 48hr traveling to different states, trying new restaurants, self-care dates, and being as adventurous as possible. This class sparked my interest because in light of all things occurring in this world, there comes a time where we need to know and try to gain understanding on what our future holds. My hope is that this course will give me greater insight on the things I was once ignorant to. Why politicians do the things they do, the history and experiences behind it and how can we create a better political environment.

1. Hi Dominique, it’s nice to meet you! I also work as an assistant teacher and have worked with children on the spectrum. Working with the kids always brightens my day! I absolutely agree with you on wanting a greater insight on things in this course, I feel the same way!

21. Hello Everyone! My name is Vincent Maldonado. I am 19 years old and my major is in criminal justice. This is my 3rd semester in BMCC and my goal is to get at least an associates degree and then apply to become a police officer for the NYPD. Outside of school my interests are in gaming and working out.

22. Hello everyone! My name is Marisol Beato. I am currently in my second year at BMCC and studying human services to become a respiratory therapist. I was born and raised in the Dominican Republic, but I ended up moving over to New York during my adolescent years to gain access to more opportunities. I am a mom who has raised two wonderful sons and recently returned to college to gain my degree. My favorite hobby is cooking and I work in healthcare. I wish everyone the best of luck in the course and I hope everyone has a great semester!

23. Hi everyone! My name is Alice Erazo. I’m 24 years old and my major is early childhood education. I unfortunately had to drop this class last semester because I took too many classes at once and was a little overwhelmed. I’m happy to be back and ready to finish off my last few credits before graduating from BMCC! I plan on furthering my education and getting my bachelors in childhood education. Something that I really love to do on my free time is paint and watch movies. Some of my favorite movies are Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Good Will Hunting. I also love musicals. I hope everyone has a wonderful semester!

24. Hi everyone! My name is Chelsea Velez. I’m studying Human Services here at BMCC to be a school social worker. I started at BMCC with the thought of pursuing nursing but it was too much for me, so I changed my major to HS. I’m 20 and i live in the Bronx. I’m interested in studying the Human Services classes bmcc has to offer since it is for my major and they’re actually fun in a way. After I graduate from bmcc i’m thinking about either going to hunter or city college.

25. I grew up in Brooklyn, New York, although my parents are originally from the Dominican Republic. Having a one-year-old babygirl has forced me to live remotely, but it’s been the best decision for both my daughter and I. That was one of my biggest reasons for wanting to attend BMCC for my studies. I want to move to Florida and get my bachelor’s in nursing when I graduate from BMCC. I will therefore be able to enjoy the best of both worlds. Right now, I’m interested in discovering new, healthier recipes. I’ve been looking for better ways to take care of my body and learning how to take care of my families health as well.