A growing collection of oral histories collected by BMCC students

Daniel Campos (NYC) – interview by Estefany Gebert

Daniel Campos

Daniel Campos is an American student born on November 5, 1998, to a Dominican mother, and Puerto Rican father. He was raised in New York City, has visited the Dominican Republic only a few times during his childhood, but did not mention any visits to Puerto Rico. Campos has a passion for music, plays various instruments including the piano. He is currently enrolled at Borough of Manhattan Community College pursuing a music major and plans to continue his career path in music as well. Campos plans on graduating in the Fall of 2020.

Listen to Estefany’s interview with Daniel.

“You know I mean, where you grew up that’s where you belong. And I feel like you should own it. You should, you know, learn more about it and just accept who you are.”

Daniel reflecting on growing up in a Dominican and Puerto Rican family in NYC.

Click here for the full transcript of Estefany’s interview with Daniel

Daniel Campos visited family members in Santo Domingo, at the Capital, as he mentioned it.

Daniel’s favorite beach city is Boca Chica in Santo Domingo.

“As a Mexican immigrant myself, there was a mixture of two different cultures fighting for my attention during my youth. Any other culture that was not American or Mexican, was unfamiliar to me in every sense of the word. However, over the course of this semester I was able to come across the fact that there are so many different places that have their own culture with rich histories that are somehow connected to us.”

Estefany reflecting on her own blend of cultures.

Click here to read Estefany’s reflection on this project.

Although Daniel loves salsa, his favorite song is “Man in the Mirror” by Michael Jackson.