IN-CLASS TUTORIALS AND ESSENTIAL RESOURCES
- After Effects CC 2018 Essential Training: Motion Graphics: Big picture concepts, Shape layer overview, Shape layers and transforms, Set type, Use text animators, Animate type on a path – Videos from Lynda.com (follow these instructions to Log In for free)
- Formatting characters and the Character panel & Formatting paragraphs and the Paragraph panel – Adobe’s After Effects User Guide
- There is a plethora of text animation presets accessible through the Effects & Presets menu. This site offers previews of all the different options: http://blog.motionisland.com/after-effects-presets-text-animation/
- Kinetic Type examples:
- “The light in the dark”by Eli Guillou
ASSIGNMENT: AFTER EFFECTS – CHOICE OF QUOTE + STORYBOARD
Choose your quote!You may pick a line from your favorite song, book, poem or look for inspiration on a quotes website like this one). Pick something that’s neither too long nor too short – between 6 and 20 words. Don’t forget to include the author of the quote.
Create a storyboardfor your animated quote. Use this template. Make sure you include all the information needed to clearly outline your plan:
- In the panel: Letters/words, movement within the frame, camera movement, colors.
- Under the panels: Sound effects and /or music, description (clarify anything that may not be obvious from what you drew in the panel)
The length of your storyboard will depend on the number of words in the quote and the overall mood/pacing you want to create (i.e: something very energetic/fast paced vs. meditative/mellow). You’ll probably need at least 6 panels. If you have more than 20, you might be overly ambitious for the time you have to complete this project. Don’t forget: your animation must include the author of the quote.
Deliverables (on Blackboard before next week’s class):
- Digital version of your storyboard (scanned at home or in the LRC – S510C)
For the full project guidelines, grading rubric and examples, go to the After Effects Project page.