What is graphic design?

Graphic design has many facets. As it is showed in beginning of the video, books, posters, websites, t-shirts, subways maps, and many other object we use daily are the result of a process. The goal of that process is to impact the audience in a particular way. It is the client that has to explain to the designer what message or emotion he wants his audience to get. Most importantly, graphic design is about visual communication. The job of the graphic designer is to understand the material he is trying to communicate and make an appropriate and unique design. It is a creative process as the graphic designer wants to create something unique, which has never been seen before.

Now that I have a better understanding of what graphic design is, I realize that it is absolutely everywhere, and I am becoming more critical of it. For example, I will be using an app on my phone and think that it is not easy to navigate, and that there is probably a better way to design it. I also notice when posters or logos are especially well done, or smart. I actually never noticed that the Fedex logo formed an arrow between the E and the X. I wonder if it was meant to be obvious, or if they wanted people to figure it out after years of seeing this logo. It’s like the hidden bear in the Toblerone logo, which is hidden in the mountain. Obviously this one is meant to be hidden, and you have to know that it is here to notice it. I love this logo because it’s almost like a guessing game, and it gives a stronger identity to the brand.