What is Graphic Design

Graphic design is about visually communicating a message. Not only do graphic designers have the responsibility to understand what their client is trying to communicate, they also “have a responsibility to the people that will live with that communication.” This part of the video stood out to me. Whether it is a poster, a book cover or product packaging the designer has to ask themselves how it would affect the user’s life. I agree with speaker who said we don’t realize how much we subconsciously interact with designs that bring ease or pleasure into our lives. 

After watching, I thought of some of my personal interactions like MTA subway posters that I was quickly able to decipher the information because of the imagery and icons. Another example was when I was at Target buying new hair products and I decided to try a new line of products called Emerge. Thinking back, I decided to give it a try because of the price point, but admittedly it was the bright packaging and geometrical pattern that first caught my eye. I am definitely guilty of choosing hair products not only for their content but also how it will look on my shelf. In the MTA poster example the designer is able to quickly communicate subway policies or changes through the images. With the hair product packaging, the design subconsciously brought me pleasure which added to the value of the product for me.