What A Graphic Designer Does

After watching this video, the part that resonated with me was when the gentleman at the beginning said “20 years ago, if I tried to explain what graphic design was, I would have said its to design logos, books, posters, and people would have stared at me as though I was from another planet.  Today, uh if people say, “what do you do?” and I say I’m a graphic designer, they say oh I love Sabon.” Growing up, I was always interested in the colors, shapes, fonts, and overall design of logos that I saw throughout my day and how it affected the people around them. In this current day of age, majority of people are aware of what graphic design is, but there are many who still do not know this. Later into my life, I gained more knowledge about creative design and how every design we see has been specially designed by someone.

There will always be people designing artwork for consumers either that be for personal or corporate commissions. What makes it interesting though is that there are two types of people when it comes to being aware of artwork and how it effects their daily life. There are the people who are somewhat or fully aware of the backstage design plan that takes place for the final product, and then there are the people who are not even aware of how any of the brands they are purchasing have been carefully designed and targeted towards them. With this being said, I have always wondered, if every person knew about the back stage design plan for an item, how would that change their outlook on their daily life and the decisions they made?