This information is for Animation and Motion Graphics (ANI) majors.
Course Modality: In Person and Online
There are courses offered both in person and online. Most courses will have both options.
New ANI Majors
Welcome, we’re glad to have you here. If it is possible, you should register for both MMP 100 Intro to Multimedia and MMA 100 Foundations of Digital Graphic Design. At least one of these classes are required BEFORE you can take other animation courses like 2D or 3D animation.
All ANI courses required for your major are open and have at least one open section.
GET ADVISED! Remember that everyone needs to be advised before you can register for class. The general process is:
- Get Advised
- Register for Class
- Get Financial Aid and Pay for classes
Our Registration Guide for Summer/Fall 2023 has more information.
These courses are available this summer. If a STEM tuition waiver is available the course has [waiver] indicated
Summer 1 Six weeks (6W1) 5/30/23–7/11/23
- MES 140-A50W/B Introduction to Moving Image (Class nbr:8709) 12:00 AM–12:00 AM, online asynchronous, Prof Samuel Sloves
- This class is Writing Intensive
- MES 152-A140 Intro To Contemporary Media (Class nbr:8528) MTuWTh 2:00 PM–3:45 PM, FH-211 Prof Paul Francis
- MES 153-A090 Script Writing (Class nbr:8710) MTuWTh 9:00 AM–10:45 AM, in person FH-501 Prof Edward Vaughn
- MES 160-A110 World History of Animation (Class nbr:9157) MTuWTh 11:00 AM–12:45 PM, FH-1013 Prof Jennifer Hatchadorian
- MMA 100-A100 [waiver] Founds Digital Graph Dsgn (Class nbr:8495) MTuWTh 10:00 AM–12:15 PM, MC-S608 Prof Josephine Culkin
- MMP 100 Introduction to Multimedia
- MMP 100-A100 [waiver] (Class nbr:8494) MTuWTh 10:00 AM–12:15 PM, online synchronous, Prof Ira Epstein
- MMP 100-A130 [waiver] (Class nbr:8493) MTuWTh 1:00 PM–3:15 PM, in person, MC-S608 Prof Caroline Falby
Summer 1 Ten weeks (10W) 5/30/23–8/8/23
- ANI 260-C090 [waiver] Introduction to 2D Animation (Class nbr:8806) hybrid: online synchronous, TuTh 9:00 AM–11:30 AM, and onine asynchronous, Prof Robert Wurzburg
- ANI 401-C090 [waiver] Introduction to 3D Animations (Class nbr:8805) hybrid: online synchronous, M 9:30 AM–11:30 AM, and online asynchronous Prof Christine Mariani
- ANI 402-C180 [waiver] 3D Animation Projects (Class nbr:8804) hybrid: online synchronous, W 6:00 PM–8:00 PM, and online asynchronous Prof Burt Miller
- MEA 201-C050 [waiver] Prof Devel & Car Plan in Media (Class nbr:8713) online asynchronous, Prof Glenda Blakely
- MEA 371-C060 [waiver] Media Arts & Tech Internship (Class nbr:8712) Prof Glenda Blakely
- You can not register directly on CUNYfirst. To take this class you must attend a workshop and create a Career Express account. Full information on how to Register for MEA 371 is on the linked page.
Summer 2 Five weeks (5W2) 7/20/23–8/22/23
- MES 140-E13B/L Introduction to Moving Image (Class nbr:8866) MTuWTh 1:00 PM–4:00 PM, FH-204 Prof George Robinson
ART 168 Life Drawing I has changed its name and number to ART 269 Life Drawing Studio I
Many of you will see ART 168 in Degreeworks. If you were advised to take ART 168, register for ART 269 instead. If, after you register, ART 269 doesn’t show up as counting for your degree then contact us and we can do the paperwork to make it count.
MEA 211 Introduction to Digital Fabrication and Physical Computing
We are happy to announce that this course, taught in our Makerspace will teach you how to turn your creative ideas into physical objects using a laser cutter, vinyl cutter and our 3D printers. This class meets Mondays and Wednesdays 4pm-6pm in the Makerspace with Prof Kar Rosen teaching.
- MEA 211-1600 Intro Digital Fabr & Phys Comp (Class nbr:49038) MW 4:00 PM–6:00 PM, MC-S608 Prof Kar Rosen
MEA 300 Special Topics: Introduction to Virtual Production
This introductory course will teach you the fundamentals of using Unreal Engine for various Virtual Production workflows. Each assignment is built around real-world briefs to teach you the skills studios look for in Unreal Engine artists. You will learn how to import assets, world-build, animate, and create cinematic sequences in real-time. The class meets in person on Thursdays 1pm-4:40pm with Prof Carlo Diego teaching. View this post for more info.
You cannot register for this class in CUNYfirst; you need MEA Department approval. To register for this class, please send the following information to email@example.com:
- First and last name
- BMCC ID#
- MEA 300-1300 Topics in Media Arts and Tech (Class nbr:44844) Thursdays 1:00 PM–4:40 PM, FH-1007 Prof Carlo Diego
MMP 270 Game Design
Want to learn to make your own video game? Our popular Game Design course is back to teach you how.
MMP 270 Introduction to Video Game Design: Topics include Principles of Game Design, basic programming, graphics and animation, sound design, publishing and distribution. It requires MMP 100.
- MMP 270-1600 (Class nbr:38187) TuTh 4:00 PM–5:40 PM, MC-S608 Prof Owen Roberts
You are required to take one experiential learning class. There are two options (you only take one):
- MEA 201 Professional Development & Career Planning in Media Arts and Technology
- MEA 371 Media Arts and Technology Internship
Even though it may not show it in Degreeworks, you can take either one. Contact the department firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Internship: MEA 371
You can’t register for this class on your own. In order to register you need to attend an internship advisement and registration session. Visit this post to see times for those sessions and learn about how to Register for an Internship.
Access to Computers and Software
Laptops are available for students who need them to check-out from the Library. If you are taking an online class requires software like Adobe or AVID, the College will provide access to that software for you.
If you have a need for help with access to technology, you can complete this form: MEA Student Technology Need Form
Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination for In Person Classes is No Longer Required
Starting for the Summer 2023 classes and beyond, CUNY will no longer require proof of COVID-19 Vaccination and random testing will also end.