Marriage Proposal

Marriage proposals are such a tricky thing to discuss, I could go on all day. Being from the South, people tend to get married very early in life (late teens to early twenties) so I’ve already seen an array of marriage proposals with my peers. Also, because it is the South, things tend to lean towards more traditions like asking the father, like we saw in Chekov’s play. Not to mention the pressure that social media has added to these events. I sometimes cannot believe my eyes when I see the over the top extravaganza that has been arranged. When I moved to New York City, it was an entirely new world. While there were still those assumed gender roles in most proposals, it felt a lot more like the two people in the relationship were equals with women proposing to their boyfriends. I was shocked seeing so many more sentimental proposals than showy ones as well. Of course, this is all from my own personal experience but I think that people are (very) slowly moving towards more progressive proposals but I always think there will be at least a glimmer of the seemingly outdated proposal rules.

2 thoughts on “Marriage Proposal

• May 22, 2022 at 3:04 pm
    Permalink

hey i totally agree with you! a marriage can be tricky and i also think that their still be a glimmer of outdated proposals