Conversation 3- Mary Zambrano

Summary

"Snapchat Wants You to Post. It's Willing to Pay Millions" by Taylor Lorenz introduces Snapchats new feature called Spotlight. Spotlight is where anyone can post videos doing anything and still get monetized, unlike TikTok where only certified influencers get monetized. Katie Feeney, an 18-year-old high school senior, has made well over $1 million from her unboxing videos that she posts on Snapchat, that has helped her put colleges that were too expensive back on the table as an option. Making money from videos is life changing for many and it can be considered a job for others. Due to how anyone can make money from their videos it has caused competition with TikTok due to the monetization issues. In Spotlight you don't need to be an influencer in order to get monetized so many TikTok influencers have started to also post content on Spotlight. For me I used to be really obsessed with social media when I was younger, but as I've grown up I have learned to take breaks and also if I notice myself feeling down or just having negative thoughts from my peers posts I look for something else to do besides being on my phone. I don't ignore my feelings I acknowledge them and find a healthier way to deal with them until I'm ready to pick up my phone again.