Conversation 3- Isai

In “Snapchat Wants You to Post. It’s Willing to Pay Millions” by Tayler Lerenz, the article talks about Spotlight, a new snapchat feature that resembles Instagram’s Reels. Many creators have made a huge profit off of Spotlight like Cam Casey. Casey discovered Spotlight and decided to upload old videos he had in his cameral roll, wondering if those old videos would gain any views. Later on, Snapchat got in contact with Casey informing him that he was one of their top performers on their platform and that he would be getting paid thousands of dollars. Hearing this news, Casey, with new motivation, began uploading 120 videos per day. Casey isn’t the only one who benefited due to Spotlight. Andrea Romo, who was getting paid minimum wage at Lowe’s, earned close to half a million dollars. Romo doesn’t consider herself to be an influencer and just used Snapchat to message friends but stumbled upon Spotlight and just like Casey, decided to upload a video and to her surprise, it exploded. Snapchat wasn’t always like this, Snapchat was mainly a messaging platform and offered nothing to earn money or followers but it all changed in 2017, when Snapchat finally began verifying its creators with large followings making them celebrities. Although Snapchat is very popular right now, it is also competing with another popular platform, TikTok. For example, Mike Metzler stated, they have gathered people and came up with strategies to analzye and gather what content is trending and working the most.

My social media experience so far has been average, I just use it to chat with friends or share memes. I will admit the amount of time I have spent on social media is an unhealthy amount, I could be using it to post and/or do what others have been doing in this article but i’m not that type of person. I’m reserved thats probably the reason why I don’t like posting on social media and only follow friends. The only thing I would probably change about my social media activity is the time I spend on it but lets be be honest I probably won’t change it because many like me, if we like to admit it or not, are addicted to social media and wouldn’t change anything even though we say we will.