Week 6 Online: 4/21 - 4/26: H.W. 8. Education Due 4/28

Week 6 Online: 4/21 – 4/26: H.W. 8. Education Due 4/28

Read Ch. 16 of OpenStax Sociology / ZOOM / BB CLASS

Education

Education Around The World

Theoretical Perspectives on Education

Discussion Questions: Respond to question 1 AND any other  2 questions.

1. Discuss some of your opinions /challenges on the current state of CUNY’s response to your educational needs during the COVID 19 pandemic? Do you think that adequate resources was provided by BMCC / and or CUNY to enable continue your educational goals / pursuit? In other words, how has the current situation impacted your educational plans? (be prepared to share your responses to this question during our virtual classroom).

2. Has there ever been a time when your formal and informal educations in the same setting were at odds? How did you overcome that disconnect?

3. Thinking of your school, what are some ways that a conflict theorist would say that your school perpetuates class differences?

4. Which sociological theory best describes your view of the current state of  education in America? Explain why.

Videos

Education in the US Videos

Americas Broken Education System

Education Around the World Videos

Schooling the World 2010 Watch the Full Documentary Online

Unschooling: making the world our classroom | Lainie Liberti & Miro Siegel | TEDxAmsterdamED

1. 1. Discuss some of your opinions /challenges on the current state of CUNY’s response to your educational needs during the COVID 19 pandemic? Do you think that adequate resources was provided by BMCC / and or CUNY to enable continue your educational goals / pursuit? In other words, how has the current situation impacted your educational plans? (be prepared to share your responses to this question during our virtual classroom).
    The COVID19 pandemic has impacted my educational plans. I say this because now that we’re social distancing, classes are online only. I’ve always had a problem with online classes. Whether it’s because I’m not physically in class, cannot ask questions the way I would like too, assignments due at midnight that I haven’t even begun because of procrastinating. All of these things may have been avoided if we weren’t social distancing. I feel like I’m not really learning as much as I would be learning if I was physically in class in BMCC. I say this because I am just worried about my assignments being handed in by midnight, rather than actually being confident in myself knowing that my assignments are complete and just submitting them before the deadline. I tend to start all of my assignments about two or three hours before the deadline. On the other hand, if I were in school on campus, I would not really have a choice and I would be penalized for any assignments that I did not complete.

In my history class, textbooks say that the U.S. went to war with Iraq because they had weapons of mass destruction (which is formal), but by doing some research online I found that the real reason we went to war with Iraq is because they have an abundant amount of natural resources (which is informal). I overcame the disconnect by digging deeper and reading articles which helped me come up with my own conclusion.

3. Thinking of your school, what are some ways that a conflict theorist would say that your school perpetuates class differences?
    One way that a conflict theorist would say that my school perpetuates class differences is the registration dates that we receive. My friend and I were taking the same amount of courses one semester. We both got the same grades. The difference was that I was eligible for financial aid and she wasn’t. She got her registration date one day earlier than I did. The next semester, we took a different amount of courses. I took more than her. I got 2 A’s, 1 B, and a W. She got B’s in both of her classes. The next semester’s registration date came up and we got the same registration date. It was unfair, but I couldn’t do anything about it.

2. Question 1 – i will definitely say the pandemic has affected my grades very much in school.First and foremost i’ve never done online classes so to me this was very new and was very difficult at first cause i wasn’t familiar with using online tools and cuny first.As well it affected my grades because everything involve typing and i didnt have a laptop at the time so it was very difficult to perform class work and home work online.As well it is very difficult learning at times because i’m a very visual learner and zoom does not work in my favor especially if your connections is not that great.i currently struggle with work that i missed that i didn’t see so therefore it pushes me behind on achieving high grades.

Question 2- Like for my classes currently i have been given a syllabus that lays the structure of the semester work.I decided to take syllabus and break all them down into one structure for every week so that i don’t miss out on work.

Question 4 – The sociological theory that best describes my views of the educational system in america is the functionalist theory.I agree with the functionalist theory because its purpose is to prepare students for participation in the institution of society.