Week 3 Online: H.W 5: Socialization and Personal Development - Due 4/7

Week 3 Online: H.W 5: Socialization and Personal Development – Due 4/7

SCROLL ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE END

Socialization and Personal Development: Society and Groups / ZOOM / BB CLASS

RESPOND TO ANY 2 QUESTIONS BELOW AND QUESTION 4 (TOTAL 3)

1. Why do groups exist and What are the types of groups that exist in a society?
  2. How does group size influence group structure?  The concept of hate crimes has been linked to in-groups and out-groups. Can you think of an example where people have been excluded or tormented due to this kind of group dynamic?
  3. Where do you prefer to shop, eat out, or grab a cup of coffee? Large chains like Walmart or smaller retailers? Starbucks or a local restaurant? What do you base your decisions on? Does this section change how you think about these choices? Why, or why not?
  4. Share some of your social group affiliation and roles with a group. What is the purpose of this group and what role do they play in terms of your personal development, socialization or what contributions has this group made to the community or society at large?
Read  the following:
Openstax  Ch. 6 on Groups and Organizations 

Summary Society and Groups

Society and Groups

Group Size and Structure

Formal Groups

Watch the following Videos

1. Groups and Organizations

2) Social Groups (crash course)

3) Formal Organizations

4) The Sociology of Groups of Organizations

1. 1.) Why do groups exist and What are the types of groups that exist in a society?

Groups are prevalent in our social lives and provide a significant way to understand and define ourselves both through groups we feel a connection to and those we do not. Groups also play an important role in society. There are many different types of groups that exist in society. Sociologist Charles Horton Cooley suggested that groups can broadly be divided into two categories: primary groups and secondary groups. The primary group is usually fairly small and is made up of individuals who generally engage face-to-face in long-term emotional ways. This group serves emotional needs: expressive functions rather than pragmatic ones. Secondary groups are large groups whose relationships are impersonal and goal oriented. Their relationships are temporary. Secondary relationships involve weak emotional ties and little personal knowledge of one another. In contrast to primary groups, secondary groups don’t have the goal of maintaining and developing the relationships themselves. Also, there’s a reference group. Reference groups provide the benchmarks and contrast needed for comparison and evaluation of group and personal characteristics. It is a concept referring to a group to which an individual or another group is compared.

2.)Where do you prefer to shop, eat out, or grab a cup of coffee? Large chains like Walmart or smaller retailers? Starbucks or a local restaurant? What do you base your decisions on? Does this section change how you think about these choices? Why, or why not?
    Personally, I would prefer to shop or eat out at smaller retailers. For example, a local restaurant. It can be a local restaurant in my area that serves great food, drinks, and hookah. In this current generation majority of these restaurants served great food and drinks and GREAT music. I come up with my decisions with my friends (or whoever I’m going out with). This section do not change how I think about these choices.

3.) Share some of your social group affiliation and roles with a group. What is the purpose of this group and what role do they play in terms of your personal development, socialization or what contributions has this group made to the community or society at large? So I did not understand this question clearly, maybe if I see others response to this question, I’ll be able to respond.

• I came up with a answer for #3..
      3.) One group I am apart of my team at work. Working at Sweetgreen we have ” Sweet Talk ” before our shift. Sweet Talks is when my manager let everyone know where there positions are for the day and let everyone know what kind of day it be be between the ” Busiest ” or ” Slowest “. Based off of what my manager informed us about, would determine how our shift would go for the day. Another role I would play is the role of a parent. As a mother of my son my job is to support, love, each and provide for my child.

2. Ihor Holubenko

1) Why do groups exist and What are the types of groups that exist in a society?

It is a human trait to look to like minded persons for emotional and material support. It is comforting and it assists in socializing to have an established common baseline. There are two types of groups primary and secondary. Primary includes family members and people who is known for a long period of time. Secondary is group consisting of work colleagues, class mates etc.

2) How does group size influence group structure? The concept of hate crimes has been linked to in-groups and out-groups. Can you think of an example where people have been excluded or tormented due to this kind of group dynamic?

The size of group has it influence on how united that group is. Example will be when person lives and developing under pressure of primary group and as he grows and his secondary group becoming larger that group see him as crocked, unconfident that group most likely will not accept that person.

4)Share some of your social group affiliation and roles with a group. What is the purpose of this group and what role do they play in terms of your personal development, socialization or what contributions has this group made to the community or society at large?

As a student I belong to external social group. Even though I do not influence that group in anyway that group has a certain effect on me, it take the role of a traction force for the disclosure of my worldview.

3. 1. Why do groups exist and What are the types of groups that exist in a society?

Groups, specifically social groups are a collection of people who have something ion common and who believe what they have in common is significant. They exist so people have a sense of belonging . Two types of groups are primary groups and secondary groups. Primary groups are clusters of people like families or close friends where there is close, face-to-face and intimate interaction. Primary groups are also the key means of socialization in society, the main place where attitudes, values and orientations are developed and sustained.
    Secondary groups are those in which members are rarely, if ever, are in direct contact. They are often large and usually formally organize. Companies are an example of a secondary group. They are an important place for socialization, but not as much as primary groups. Another two types of groups are voluntary and involuntary groups. They are very literal to there names. Voluntary groups are groups you choose to be in , friends, jobs for example. Involuntary are groups you didn’t intentionally choose to join, like prisoners or soldiers.

2.Where do you prefer to shop, eat out, or grab a cup of coffee? Large chains like Walmart or smaller retailers? Starbucks or a local restaurant? What do you base your decisions on? Does this section change how you think about these choices? Why, or why not?

I choose to do my shopping or eating at local stores if given the chance. While yes i may sometimes pay a few dollars more for certain products I know that my money is going back to my community. I rather my money go to your local mom and pop store rather than a CEO who only cares about getting richer.
    I choose to eat and drink at local restaurants because I know for a fact that chain restaurants like applebees or red lobster put no effort in there drink or food choices. I personally know many people who have worked for a few big name chain restaurants and i can tell you that your “fresh authentic margarita” your drinking is nothing but sugar concentrated lime juice and maybe an ounce of tequila. The food quality is horrible to. If ANYONE tells me that Olive Garden pasta taste better than the pasta you’ll get at a small local authentic italian restaurant I’ll call them a liar to their face.

One group I affiliate myself with is that of a parent. My role is to provide encouragement, support, and help him to master key skills in his life . Another group I belong to is that of a facilitator in my community. I work for a local restaurant and I try to accommodate my guests to the best of my abilities. Were actually helping our community a lot though this time of need. Were catering meals to our local hospital. Providing extremely discounted lunches all week. Were also selling hard to get items such as gloves and cleaning products at wholesale to the local people in our neighborhood who cant get them anywhere or cant afford them because a lot of stores are price gouging .

• Nice me i too affiliate myself to my parents they are one of my priority source of comfort specially my sister she is alway here when i need her by my side .
      that really nice from you to try to give of your time for your community did you believe of this quote that said ” what go around come around ” yes if you help someone, when you will be in need, someone will be there to help you.

• I agree I am apart of a team that does similar tasks at work.

4. 1) how many type of group do we have ?
    Primary group: in this category of group you can have family, your best-friend , your spouse . it’s a cajole group where yo feel more relax and you get to be yourself.
    Secondary group: it’s more of a formal category and you can find your colleague, your boss , your classmate its more of people that you are not totally have any affiliation in all aspect its like you are around them for a specific reason and its because of only that reason you socializing with them
    Reference group : it’s group that you are obliged to be in but you take the member of this group as a mentor or model an example will be a Footballer and his fan or a artist and his follower they
    2) How does group size influence structure ? and group in or group out group can influence someone in hate crime ? With my understanding, the more you are in the group, the more stable its it. i can relate this to a family of 2 people where the husband and the wife doesn’t have a kid the group have tendency to fight its all the time drama but when they have 2 or 3 kids , we can see that the group is more stable.
    and about the group influence one one behavior is so clear their is a quote that said ” Tell me who you Follow ,i will Tell you who you are ” this mean that the group that you affiliate your self to will directly impact you behavior.
    4) I personally doesn’t socialize that much but some group that in a near future i am planing of joining is some kid of voluntary group where we will come to help people in need of support such as medical, financial and emotional. because i belive that i want to surround my self of this type of people that are ready to hep other and not the opposite.

5. Alicia Moya

1. Why do groups exist and What are the types of groups that exist in society?
    Groups are prevalent in our social lives and provide a significant way to understand and define ourselves. There are three types of social groups within the subject of sociology; primary, secondary and reference groups. Primary groups are small, personal and enduring and usually consist of family and close friends. Within this type of group is where one would seek emotions and even financial support. Secondary groups are larger groups and exist for a common goal or activity and tend to be more formal in nature with weak emotional ties. A good example of a secondary group would be co-workers or political organizations. The final group type is reference groups which are a group that serves as a point of reference. For example, if one had dreams of becoming a nurse then they would look to a group of certified nurses as a reference to becoming one themselves.

Where I shop whether it is a large chair or a small company, largely depends on the need for items being shopped for. For example, many people go to Starbucks to get their daily fix of caffeine however my preference is the Spanish corner deli on the block of my apartment. I am not saying that I have never gotten my coffee from a Starbucks, but it is not my first choice; the reason being is that the small business on the corner of my block knows how I like my coffee and knows when i will be coming in to buy it. This is not something that you can have with a big chain because they see high volumes of customers per day as opposed to the small business that will get to know you after a few consistent visits.

4. Share some of your social group affiliation and roles with a group. What is the purpose of this group and what role do they play in terms of your personal development, socialization or what contributions has this group made to the community or society at large?
    One of the groups that I am involved in is my team at work. Aside from being a general employee at Victoria’s Secret, I am apart of a smaller subset group that specializes in a certain task that contributes to the function of the store. Although it is a smaller group, it is still a secondary group that has a Laissez-faire style of leadership from my manager. The reason I say the leadership of my team is laissez-faire is because the normal workday consist of arriving at work at 6 am and having what we call a “team rally” this is essentially a brief meeting to discuss the workload for the day and bring to attention if any visits from corporate were to take place of that particular day. After this meeting team breaks up to execute their workload for the day. The manager rarely connects with the team under the expectation that the team is doing what they need to do and at the end of the day you report to your manager and inform them of what you were and were not able to accomplish for the day. This group is a great example within my everyday life of a secondary group with a lassez-faire leadership style.

6. kelvin coker

1.Why do groups exist and What are the types of groups that exist in a society?

I believe groups exist so we as a people believe we are not the same as everyone else so we put ourselves in social classes depending on how we act because we all believe we are different or better than one another. some types of groups that exist are primary and secondary groups.

I prefer to shop in designer stores because that is the type of clothes I like to wear, I prefer to eat at popyes, I don’t really drink coffee at all, I prefer large chain stores because its more varieties. I base it on things I love to get.

7. 1. Why do groups exist and what are the types of groups that exist in a society?

The reason why groups exist is because it is needed to create or make a society, groups are made to make one feel as though they can either express themselves or be themselves while being comfortable with the people around them and make one feel as though they have a place of belonging within have a group or even with in society. Groups are very important not only as part of our day to day social lives but as well as it playing a big role in society in general because these groups is what makes a society. The different types of groups that exist are categorized as one a primary group which is the most important group because these are they people that are closest to you that not only matter the most but mean the most as well people they are the people that share personal ties to . the people in your primary group are usually your family members, your spouse, your closest friends. The second group is referred to as a secondary group are more goal oriented towards a specific goal or activity there isn’t much emotional ties to this group. the last group is called a reference group and these are served as a reference to one making a decision or evaluation there is no emotional ties in this group.

3. Where do you prefer to shop, eat out, of grab a cup of coffee? what do you base your decisions on? does this section change how you think about these choices? why or why not?

The places where I prefer to personally shop and eat out where and when I feel comfortable enough to be be able to be myself it could be anywhere from a huge chain clothes or food stores to small little businesses . what I base my decision off is that can not be so crowed, they have to be vey laid back and feel like a safe environment for all types of people. what I also base my decision on is well I am a middle class hispanic American and I like shop and eat at middle class places something that fits me and my economic status. As well as dealing with anxiety is what also decides what type of place or setting I am okay with being in. This section does not really change the way I think about these choices because at the end of the day I like to be comfortable in the environments I expose myself to.

4. Share some of your social group affiliation and role with a group. What is the purpose of this group and that role do they play in terms of your personal development, socialization or what contributions has this group made to the community or society at large?

The role I play with my main group that I consider my primary group is being a daughter and being a sister and the purpose of this group is to build each other and be there for one another emotionally and physically and that plays a big part of my personal development not only my own but there’s as well. Another social group that I affiliate myself with is well at work and that I consider my secondary group and the purpose of this group is to help me maintain an income and my role is to is a to service the floor as well as stocking merchandise to the floor while providing customer service. the contribution to this group is to provide people with food so for example during this pandemic we are serving society by remaining open and continuing to work so people can feed themselves and their families. The last group I affiliate myself with is considered my reference group and that is being an auxiliary police officer program and my role in this group is to be an auxiliary police officer and with this group I use to develop myself in being what I wanna be in life and that is to be an New York Police Officer. The contributions this group has made in society is by being volunteer cops being there for the public to make the presence of the police aware and just help out where ever we can and help people feel safe as an Auxiliary police officer we play a big role in society as well as interacting with a lot of people .In this group we built each other up and just help one another with the real life experience and just have one another back so we can get home safe after every tour.

8. 1) Why do groups exist and What are the types of groups that exist in a society?
    Groups exists due to different cultures, and races people are accustomed to be a certain way so they direct themselves to that group or culture. Only because they feel comfortable with what they believe in and their rights, and that is not a bad thing at least they are getting along with one another because their accustomed to one thing. There are many groups in a society, and I am going to start out with the social group these are people who have something in common and believe its significant. Within that group there an aggregate group and there a set of individuals who happen to be at the same place and the same time, but they do not share a sense of belonging. Then there is a primary group which is your family and a secondary group which is a much larger group like a working environment. Everyone has their place in a group which makes a community, groups exists so we can define ourselves as something specific.
    2) Where do you prefer to shop, eat out, or grab a cup of coffee? Large chains like Walmart or smaller retailers? Starbucks or a local restaurant? What do you base your decisions on? Does this section change how you think about these choices? Why, or why not?
    I prefer to eat at Starbucks or a place like Wholefoods, because the quality of the food. I do not think this question has anything to do with the topic itself honestly because this does not change my choices, I do not eat at someplace because everyone else eats there.
    3) Share some of your social group affiliation and roles with a group. What is the purpose of this group and what role do they play in terms of your personal development, socialization or what contributions has this group made to the community or society at large?
    My main social group is my family because that’s who I’m around all day every day and they are the main people who influence my decisions, the second social group is my school I don’t have to many personal relationships but, they can become close over the years and can give you connections or you can give them some as well. Last but not least , my everyday day to day life is my categories group because I’m around friends that share the same characteristics and beliefs.

9. Cristal Garcia

1. Groups are nothing but a collection of people who share common interests or connected due to common race, caste, or religion. A group consists of two or more individuals interacting together and sharing a common identity. They play a very important role in the structure of society because they are what form the society in general. There are many different kinds of groups in society. A primary group has been described as a face-to-face group because it has direct contact with each other. Primary groups are small and characterized by close, personal relationships that last a long time. Examples include family, childhood friends, and highly influential social groups. Secondary groups include impersonal, temporary relationships that are goal-oriented. Sociologist Charles Horton Cooley suggested that groups can broadly be divided into two categories. A secondary group like a business, political party, or religion is based on some interest. The secondary group is much larger in composition and wider in scope. Examples of these would be employment, vendor-to-client relationships, etc.

3. Well, I love to go to local restaurants. I believe the food quality in local restaurants is much better. Additionally, most of the local restaurants don’t freeze their food for many months since they order from the local market. For this reason, they have a better menu and better quality menu items. When I travel around the world I always choose the local restaurants and local activities because in that way I can learn more about the culture.

4. In society, I’m part of different groups. My first and most important group is my family, a primary group. The role I play in my family is a sister, nieces, granddaughter, and a girlfriend. I share with than a lot of memories happy or sad ones. I’m a very essential part of my family but they play a bigger part in my family. My secondary group is the feminist movement; as feminists, we believe that women and men should have equal rights and opportunities. However, I’m not involved in the feminist movement as much as I can due to my limited time. Although I do try to express my feelings using social media.