INSTRUCTIONS ON DEADLINES

Welcome to POL 100! In this first discussion board of our course, let’s introduce ourselves to each other, by doing the following:

1. Create your introduction by entering text in the comments box below. When you finish writing your introduction, click the “POST COMMENT” button. In your introduction, tell us your name, what is your major (if you have chosen one), as well as a bit about yourself. Things you might consider sharing include: what are you interested in studying at BMCC, what are your plans after BMCC, interests that you have, etc.
  2. After entering your own post, respond to at least two classmates by elaborating on something that they wrote that resonated and connected with you.

19 thoughts on “Discussion Board 1: Class Introductions

1. Hello. My name is Sureli Honoret. I am 22 years old and currently live in the Bronx, NY. My major is Childhood Education. I am Dominican and French. I work in a charter school as an office aide and after-school teacher. After BMCC I plan on attending Monroe College in the Bronx to pursue my bachelor’s degree and become a first-grade teacher.

1. Hello Sureli I am also studying my early childhood education I work as an infant teacher; I also use to work in an afterschool program. My parents are Dominican, but I was born and raised in Brooklyn. I wish you the very best in your upcoming courses.

2. Hi Sureli, love that you want to be a teacher! We need more good teachers in this world in particular those who want to teach our little babies. If you speak more than one language, I strongly suggest that you get that certification along with your teaching one as it makes you more employable and able to request a higher salary. As our city is becoming an even bigger melting pot, we need to pivot and provide services in additional languages, especially in the school setting. Good luck!

2. Hello everyone, my name is Joselin Lora I was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York. I am working towards getting my degree in early childhood education. I currently work as a infant teacher (no I am not a babysitter.) I’ve been to many colleges before, unsure of what I wanted to study. I changed my major many times until I started working with kids it became my passion being able to help them grow, teaching them and helping them reach their developmental milestone. Going back to school was a requirement for me to keep the position I currently have but it is also something I been wanting to do for a while. I just couldn’t find a school that allowed me to take online classes while i work full time and I am also a single mother, BMCC not only offered this for me but is going above and beyond to help me achieve this goal.

3. Hello everyone!

My name is Nazgul, and I’m originally from Kazakhstan. I’ve lived and worked in the Middle East for 8 years, and 1.5 tears in South Korea, and currently live on the Upper East Side with my spouse and pet parrot, who’s my constant companion and brings so much joy to my free time.

I’m a data science student at BMCC and planning to transfer to Baruch College. This is actually my second degree; I previously graduated with a finance degree back in Kazakhstan. I love nature, hiking, and exploring different culinary styles—Korean and Indian foods are my absolute favorites, especially dishes like kimchi and biryani. The flavors and spices are just incredible!

4. Hello, everyone. I am Stephanie. I am a born and raised New Yorker. Human Services major and am returning to school to pursue my career goal of being a social worker. I already work in social services, so returning to match my experience with my education. I enjoy having discussions that involve critical thinking and moving discourse forward, I hope this class provides an opportunity to do just that. A big interest of mine is tapping into creative outlets whether that is with my nail designs or an art project.

5. Hi my name is Aliyah Miller and I was born in Jamaica. I moved to Brooklyn NY at age 6 and I have lived here ever since. My major is criminal justice. I like to watch crime shows and scary movies. My favorite color is pink. While at bmcc I am interested in criminal justice and psychology. After I graduate from bmcc I would like to get my bachelor’s in criminology at John jay.