Discussion 7

Yvette Torres Valera

Prof.Hollis Glaser

GWS 100-1300

Since this is free for all writing I will talk about a woman who has been a role model to me. That would be my mother Sandra Valera. She not only was a mother to me but she was also a father. At a young age, she had to take on both roles. When we had nothing and we were at a point of being poor when her kids were younger we didn’t feel that we were poor because she taught us how to be grateful for everything we have and because of that we learned to value ourselves as individuals especially that she was raising two boys and two girls. She taught us equality and how to treat everyone the same no matter what race, or gender. I think a part of why she did that was because she was raised in a machismo household. Living in a machismo household means women do all the cooking and cleaning and follow orders from the men in the house meaning cleaning after them and obeying them because men are superior while women are only housewives. She also lived that way with her first husband but she later found the toxic household to not be healthy especially while having 4 kids so she divorced my dad and went to college. She graduated with no support from family and with the little money she had she made the most out of it for us but she raised us in a way where she never wanted us to experience everything she went through during her life. She kept on being true to herself and being strong for us her kids. My mother is my biggest role model and I’m grateful to have her in my life.