Week 03

Portrait of Langston Hughes
CC by 2.0 Photographer: Carl Van Vechten

Activity 1

Click this link to access the short story “Salvation” by Langston Hughes.

Activity 2

Click this link to access a Youtube lecture on “Salvation.”

Activity 3

The short story “Salvation” by Langston Hughes is rich with various forms of irony, which will be relevant to the week’s discussion board. Click this link for a short video that explains the three types of irony.

Abstract graphic image of Gospel singers with arms raised.
https://www.maxpixel.net/Cheering-Joyfull-Jubilating-Gospel-Choir-305352
Public Domain

Activity 5

Quiz 2

This is a practical 10-question multiple-choice quiz in which students must demonstrate an understanding of the form and function of a thesis statement and an ability to select good thesis statements for hypothetical essays. Quiz will be available from 9:00 a.m. Monday, Feburary 7 to  5:00 p.m. Sunday, February 13. Quiz must be taken in one setting, and students have 90 minutes in which to complete it. Study materials for this quiz can be found in Activity 4 on the Week 2 page.

To access the quiz, navigate to your Blackboard course. On the dark grey navigation panel to the left, click “Links to Quizzes.” Then click “Quiz 2.”

Activity 6

All essays in this class must adhere to MLA format. Your first essay will not be assigned until Week 5. However, in preparation for this, please review the following guides to formatting. Only correctly formatted essays will be eligible for a grade of A. There will be a quiz on format next week.

Format Matters Video

Format Illustration

Silhouette of dove surrounded by golden rays
https://pixabay.com/illustrations/dove-light-cross-sky-jesus-christ-3951312/
By Jeff Jacobs
CCO

Activity 7

Click here to access the Week 3 discussion board.

As I’m sure you can understand that, with 50  participants in our OpenLab group, it is not possible for me to respond individually to every single post. However, I assure you that I do read every post. I will, of course, be jumping into the forum from time to time, usually in the first few days (Monday- Wednesday) of the week. This discussion board really belongs to you.