Academic Technology

I have been involved in a variety of academic technology projects for more than 10 years in CUNY and beyond. During this time I have both contributed to projects that benefit the larger academic community and received recognition for this work from the community.

Open-Source Academic Platforms

I have been a team member on a number of projects that use and contribute to open-source academic technology.

CUNY Academic Commons

homeage of the cuny academic commons

The CUNY Academic Commons is an online platform that supports faculty, staff and students in teaching, learning, research, publication and community activities. Based on WordPress and BuddyPress, it is both a user of and contributor to open-source software.

The Commons Team, which I have been part of since 2009 and am currently the Director of User Experience, actively manages and builds the platform, contributing software back to the community. You can see some of this in our GitHub repositories and the Commons in a Box detailed below.

Commons in a Box

This open-source project allows anyone with a WordPress installation to create a platform with many of the same features as the CUNY Academic Commons. Visit the Commons in a Box site and users can download both the classic version and the relatively new CBOX OpenLab which is a version designed to specifically support teaching and learning. I also support this project as the UX Lead.

BMCC OpenLab

homepage of the bmcc openlab

The BMCC OpenLab is built on CBOX OpenLab from the Commons in a Box project and supported by funding from the Digital Pathways Project grant #p031C160132, funded by the US Department of Education’s Office of Post-Secondary Education, Hispanic-Serving Institutions STEM Program.

Started in spring 2019, the BMCC OpenLab supports the entire BMCC community in courses, activities, events and other online activities. As the project director I have helped to get it off the ground and assemble the team of people that run it.

Awards

Sloan-C 2012 Effective Practice Award for the CUNY Academic Commons

I have the honor of being part of the team that received this award for our work on the CUNY Academic Commons at the 5th Annual International Symposium for Emerging Technologies for Online Learning in July 2012. The other awardees are: George Otte, Matthew Gold, Boone Gorges and Michael Smith.

CUNY Committee Work

CUNY Committee on Academic Technology (CAT)

A founding member of the Committee, I have served as one of BMCC’s representatives since Fall 2008.

Media, Art and Technology Discipline Council

This discipline council supports the programs involved in media, art and technology across CUNY. I helped to form the group, create it’s presence on the CUNY Academic Commons and continue to work with group members to facilitate access to technology for our students and faculty.

Hybrid Initiative Website

screenshot from hybrid initiative web site

Not a member of the committee, I helped bring the work of this online through creating their web site on the CUNY Academic Commons.