DB #5 Tanitia Burton

1. After reading the article ” Arab and other Middle Eastern Americans”, I learned that Arab Americans share broadly similar history of immigration and reception in the U.S. but, there faiths, languages and cultures are different.

1a. Also, I did not know that Arab Americans were not profiled in the 2010 nor the 2020 Census.

1b. I also learned that in the late 1980’s the U.S. cut back on the number of Middle Eastern immigrants accepted into the country.

2. In Melika Rahmani’s TedTalk the ‘Misconception of Middle Eastern Culture and Religion’ I learned many things one being that Iran is located in Western Asia.

2a. Indonesia has the most Muslim population in South East Asia.

2b. On the contrary to what’s perceived in the media Iranian women actually can vote, drive and date. Also, a larger percent of of Iranian women are enrolled in higher education then men.

3. In the video ‘Learning Curve: Middle Eastern college in the U.S., I learned about the challenges aside from the language barrier some Middle Eastern students had fears moving to a big city.

3a. Another challenge was when it cam to the time of worship one being Ramadan. Ramadan was a problem because it’s a month of worship from sunrise to sunset along with fasting for twelve hours, around 7pm is the time when they would be able to eat something; however, by that time the cafeteria would be closed and when the cafeteria was opened the food was not something they could eat after fasting for twelve hours. The university would give the students money back because their meal plan was already paid for.

4. While reading the article ‘Literacy Reform in the Middle East’, I learned the the overall level of literacy in Arab countries are low, especially with regard to women .

4a. the literacy for young adults in the Arab world seems to be more promising and that the literacy rates among young adults is 90% or more.

4b. In order for reform efforts on the literacy front to have a deep impact, they must be used as a tool to address other human development problems.