Do you notice any similarities in the way social class is discussed in readings 4.1 and 4.2? Do you notice any differences in the way these two readings DIFFERENTIATE between social classes?

• In both readings social class was defined by the yearly income of a household. The readings differentiated slightly in two ways; 4.1 mentioned that social class is very subjective and, besides income, people also consider ones education and upbringing.

Pick the station closest to where you live. Using the concepts from Reading 4.1, what social class tends to live in your neighborhood? Are you surprised (or not) by the answer? Do you feel it is an accurate representation of the people living in your neighborhood?

• I live on the D line, and I wasn’t too surprised to see that the average yearly income of a household was around $59,000. This would be considered middle-class, and I somewhat agree with that assessment. I agree somewhat because this is a quite, safe neighborhood with many private homes, which is a fairly common thing for middle class neighborhoods. I disagree somewhat, as well, because there are many immigrants that live in my neighborhood, and a fair amount are not documented, so their income level will not be taken into consideration. Since their income is usually less than $59,000. this would make the medium income for the neighborhood considerably lower.

Based on Reading 4.2, do you notice a general pattern about social classes in NYC?

• There is definitely a general pattern when it comes to social class and NYC subway lines; the wealthier people cluster around Downtown Brooklyn and Manhattan and the less wealthy live outside of these “prestigious” areas.